Dump smell

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Default Dump smell

I imagine this has come up on here before but I did a search and couldn't find any posts. Is the horrendous stench from the dump over by Colony going to ever be addressed by TV? Is there even anything that can be done? I would be furious if I bought over in Pine Ridge during a non-stink season and then had to endure that odor now. I'm sure the folks over in Sanibel smell it as well not to mention the poor folks that bought all those villas over by Walmart. I pass by there everyday and it's been particularly putrid over the past couple of months.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
I imagine this has come up on here before but I did a search and couldn't find any posts. Is the horrendous stench from the dump over by Colony going to ever be addressed by TV? Is there even anything that can be done? I would be furious if I bought over in Pine Ridge during a non-stink season and then had to endure that odor now. I'm sure the folks over in Sanibel smell it as well not to mention the poor folks that bought all those villas over by Walmart. I pass by there everyday and it's been particularly putrid over the past couple of months.
Is it on Villages owned property ?

Last edited by pauld315; 09-21-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Does it belong to the Villages?

Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It's construction debris and yes it's on villages property, there are actually several threads about it.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Gold member

There is no dump per se...it is rotting vegetation. All around Florida where trees/bushes/shrubs were torn from the ground have the same smell...get over it....
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Gold member

It does have a rather bad odor...what ever or who ever own's it.

when you travel from hillsboro in the golf cart, to lake deaton plaza, (China Gourmet....general tso's shrimp, the best ever...... the bad smell is very strong......but last only a mile or so, then it dissappears and reappears on the way home. We don't notice it sitting out on the deck in barrineau.

Must be the wind direction....but it is definitely noticeable around 6 when I make a supper run.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post

when you travel from hillsboro in the golf cart, to lake deaton plaza, (China Gourmet....general tso's shrimp, the best ever...... the bad smell is very strong......but last only a mile or so, then it dissappears and reappears on the way home. We don't notice it sitting out on the deck in barrineau.

Must be the wind direction....but it is definitely noticeable around 6 when I make a supper run.
Could be the China Gourmet?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 PM

It's a landfill. If you google TV you will see it off Moyer. Heat and excess moisture is causing the smell. Complaints last summer resulted in a decrease in the smell (perhaps more land was dug up and over the piles of decay).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Landfill Permit.pdf (126.3 KB, 205 views)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
It's construction debris and yes it's on villages property, there are actually several threads about it.

I don't believe that is the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

A picture of the dump taken about a month ago

Dropbox - IMG_6166.JPG
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I don't believe that is the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"Mt. Morse" was well discussed several years ago when the Developer bought the whole dairy farm except the operating dump area. (who really wants to know what has been buried there over the years?); then turned the lemon into lemonade by building golf courses on the sides of the dump, planting pine trees around the top, and selling it as golf front property (which it is). In those days there weren't a whole lot of sales people who would voluntarily fess up as to what the "Pine Ridge" up in the slopes, in the "distance", really was. As for continued operations, the permit was recently renewed for several years into the future.
If you like the smell now, wait until the cool foggy November, February and March mornings after we've had several days of rainy weather. All that rotting "vegetation", those sulfides in the dumped drywall and construction debris, and the little bit of garbage that gets thrown into the construction dumpsters; sometimes they can't cover it over with dirt fast enough.
Rumor has it that Mt. Morse will be the base of operations for The Villages Astronomy Club when it is eventually capped over.
Hopefully the base ground layer was well constructed of clay and an adequate drainage system built so that the dump doesn't become a future polluter of our well water and that they are building a gas collector system to capture all the methane and other gasses created by the decomposing mound of debris. .
So all in all, yes, we have a dump in the middle of The Villages.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
"Mt. Morse" was well discussed several years ago when the Developer bought the whole dairy farm except the operating dump area. (who really wants to know what has been buried there over the years?); then turned the lemon into lemonade by building golf courses on the sides of the dump, planting pine trees around the top, and selling it as golf front property (which it is). In those days there weren't a whole lot of sales people who would voluntarily fess up as to what the "Pine Ridge" up in the slopes, in the "distance", really was. As for continued operations, the permit was recently renewed for several years into the future.
If you like the smell now, wait until the cool foggy November, February and March mornings after we've had several days of rainy weather. All that rotting "vegetation", those sulfides in the dumped drywall and construction debris, and the little bit of garbage that gets thrown into the construction dumpsters; sometimes they can't cover it over with dirt fast enough.
Rumor has it that Mt. Morse will be the base of operations for The Villages Astronomy Club when it is eventually capped over.
Hopefully the base ground layer was well constructed of clay and an adequate drainage system built so that the dump doesn't become a future polluter of our well water and that they are building a gas collector system to capture all the methane and other gasses created by the decomposing mound of debris. .
So all in all, yes, we have a dump in the middle of The Villages.
Thanks for the info Jim. I knew it was a dump because I see the dump trucks going in there all the time. TV has done a good job of visually hiding it but they can't hide that stench! I truly feel sorry for the folks who just bought over in there.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post

Come over by the Sarasota Golf Range or the new Walmart they're building by Colony at any time of the day and I guarantee it's a smell much worse than the one you're smelling.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
It's a landfill. If you google TV you will see it off Moyer. Heat and excess moisture is causing the smell. Complaints last summer resulted in a decrease in the smell (perhaps more land was dug up and over the piles of decay).
Thanks Kazmi. Watching all those dump trucks heading in there I had envisioned something like this up there. I guess they have to put it somewhere but I'm pretty sure TV aren't selling any homes around there right now and I sure hope they mentioned it to all the people who have already bought their homes.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Could be the China Gourmet?
I guess you will never want to eat there then......I love the place...
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, bought, dump, smell, non-stink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.