E-Z Go vs. Yamaha Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: E-Z Go vs. Yamaha Golf Cart

I bought a brand new gas cart last week. I considered electric very carefully, and was finally swayed by 2 factors.
1st, I really really like driving my cart around instead of a car. I will take a drive for better than an hour to smoke a cigar. I use it to go the the stores, restaurants, get coffee, whatever. Despite what proponents say, electric doesn't cover enough ground between charges for me.
2nd, I have a real problem with batteries. I get stressed using a flashlight for fear I will wear out the battery. ANYTHING I use with batteries stresses me out. I would drive myself crazy worrying about how much power I had left, would I make it home, would I forget to charge it.
A few things I noticed driving around in my new cart: 1st, Mrs SteveFromNY and I could easily talk without yelling, and 2nd, there are a LOT of other gas carts out there. It seemed like way better than half. Could just be the fact that I noticed them more.
Seems like out here in TOTV land there are rather strong anti-gas feelings. Perhaps it's just a vocal, "annoying" few.
Well, I got gas, and I'm proud of it!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Time for Tee

Gas for us!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
I bought a brand new gas cart last week. I considered electric very carefully, and was finally swayed by 2 factors.
1st, I really really like driving my cart around instead of a car. I will take a drive for better than an hour to smoke a cigar. I use it to go the the stores, restaurants, get coffee, whatever. Despite what proponents say, electric doesn't cover enough ground between charges for me.
2nd, I have a real problem with batteries. I get stressed using a flashlight for fear I will wear out the battery. ANYTHING I use with batteries stresses me out. I would drive myself crazy worrying about how much power I had left, would I make it home, would I forget to charge it.
A few things I noticed driving around in my new cart: 1st, Mrs SteveFromNY and I could easily talk without yelling, and 2nd, there are a LOT of other gas carts out there. It seemed like way better than half. Could just be the fact that I noticed them more.
Seems like out here in TOTV land there are rather strong anti-gas feelings. Perhaps it's just a vocal, "annoying" few.
Well, I got gas, and I'm proud of it!
I always felt the same about batteries. Don't over use the flashlight, Don't play the radio with the car not running. etc. However, I purchased an electric Club Car in 2001 and was very happy with it. I used it 7 days a week to go from Marion county to SS and to Summer trace. I do runs to the Publix and Walgreen's in Mulberry. I play golf 6 days a week and use it at least 3-4 days a week for golf. After 4 years I replaced the 6 batteries for $375 (SPANO). After two more years I decided that I wanted a new cart and figured I could get a good trade-in price for the Club Car. Last month, I bought a new EXGO RXV electric cart. I expect at least 7-8 years out it of it before I trade up again. And then it will probably still be electric.

I ride it gas carts and they are noisy. The smell gives me headaches. I figure that the money I save on gas by replacing the batteries for $300-400 every four years is a plus.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I own a gas cart, I don't find them annoyingly noisy and my hard of hearing husband has absolutely positively no problem hearing me talk (maybe I'm just loud...lol), the fumes do not give me headaches, and I LOVE the smell. I don't have to worry about how much mileage I put on in a day and if I'm going to run out of power.

I LOVE MY GAS CART!!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 AM

Zcaveman,

I think you have had that new EZGO for a while now. How about a report on What you like or dislike about it. How is the range issue? I see that they are using 48 vac motor and claiming improved efficiency, do you see it?

Thanks for any info.

Bob
Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 AM

I'm claiming ignorance on this one because I just don't know the answer. I play a lot of golf and I have used both gas and electric. For that purpose, I much prefer the electric. I recently purchased a new electric Yamaha that is supposed to get 60 miles to a charge. I am concerned, after many of your experiences, with the life of the batteries. I also worry about the batteries losing their charge when I am out for a while. My question is why don't golf carts have a battery gauge like cars do that tells how much of a charge you have left? My laptop has one, my cell phone has one, and my car has one. Why doesn't the golf cart have one? Maybe it does and I just didn't notice it. I haven't received my cart yet. I apologize if this was a stupid question and I wasted your time.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfl
Zcaveman,

I think you have had that new EZGO for a while now. How about a report on What you like or dislike about it. How is the range issue? I see that they are using 48 vac motor and claiming improved efficiency, do you see it?

Thanks for any info.

Bob
I had to get used to the gas/electirc(?) pedal and the braking. Since it is an electric brake it is a little more sensitive. Also the forward/reverse is on the key instead of on the switch on the undercarriage.

Unfortunately,I have been undergoing some surgical procedures and have not had the opportunity to exercise the cart as much as I have wanted to. I am not allowed to golf for a couple of more weeks. I am hoping to take a few rides to both town squares (weather permitting) in the next week. I will give a report soon.

I can say that I really enjoy the ride. It did not take much of an up hill to slow my old Club Car down. The new EZGO does not know the difference. We just cruise.

I really want to go to SS and cross the 441/27 bridge and come back to see what the new EZGO does on that bridge. Then to Panara's or Marquarritataville or Beijing for lunch. Then a trip to LSL and home. That will be about 15 miles.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgolfnut
My question is why don't golf carts have a battery gauge like cars do that tells how much of a charge you have left?
My Columbia Par Car has a battery gauge. I thought all golf carts has them. :dontknow:
Old 07-13-2008, 08:02 PM

I totally agree with Barefoot At Last on this one. Electric carts are friendly to all and help us save the earth. If I had a vote, I would ask all to use a electric cart for the good of mankind (and womenkind too)

Carlent
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Platinum member

Barefoot says her electric cart has a battery gauge. Do all? I too lean to electric for all the reasons outlined in the discussions.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM

I have driven many types of electric carts. They all have gauges.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
My Columbia Par Car has a battery gauge.* I thought all golf carts has them.* *:dontknow:
Yes, they are either a gauge with a needle, or a series of 4 or 5 led lights that show the proportion of discharge, e.g. 20%, 40%, 60%, etc.

After having test driven carts at the Par Car dealer, the Club Car dealer, the EZ Go dealer, and the Golf Cart Connection (Star and refurbed Clubs) I am leaning toward...

Because...
- Power of cart
- Price with desired options
- Reputation of dealer
- Ride quality

Anyone want to guess which one?

- I like the design of the Par Car the best (short of $15,000 for a Yesteryear cart) and the range. But the turning radius seemed not as good as the others.
- I like the reputation of the Club Car and some of the new features (but "stand out" unique options are not available at this dealer.)
- I like the power train (AC with regenerative braking) and feel of the EZ Go but price is $500 to $1,000 more than I would like to pay.
- I like the value of the Star for a new cart.
- I liked the power, pricing, and options availble on the refurbed Club Car and Golf Cart Connection.

Barring any other discoveries, I will likely purchase the last item - with a few "tweakings."
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have driven many types of electric carts. They all have gauges.
New club cars don't come with battery gages only 1 light indicating 25% battery left. I felt a bit uncomfortable with that light so I had a gauge put in for about $25 or so BUT after driving it for a few months with the gauge I don't really think it gives me any more real useful information and I don't think I needed it.

BTW 2 Votes for > Electric club car Precident > a nice ride and Handling car.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_worm
Plan2beforever................Yes, replacing the bateries ever 2 years is terrible BUT........I talked at length with an engineer from Trojan (the battery manufacturer) and he did his calculations and says the way we use our cart (15 miles a day, 5 days a week) our batteries will only last 2 1/2 years. The golf cart salesmen either don't know, or are not telling us that how we use our carts determines how long the batteries will last. Each battery only has so many "Charge" cycles in it, and if you run the batteries down to 80% discharge before charging, you will have fewer charge cycles than if you charged it after the batteries were down to 20 % discharge.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I firmly believe that TROJAN has a problem with the reliability of their batteries. My friend has an electric that is 18 months old..........he's starting to have battery problems. Another friend has a PAR car..........he's having battery problems after only a year. I recently replaced my final 2 batteries and went with Exide batteries to see how they perform. Can anyone tell me where the Trojan batteries are manufactured ?

I'd like to hear about anyone's battery problems.

Regards
Mark

The discharge numbers seem contrary to info regarding other battery usage that recommend discharging to near dead before recharging to prolong battery life??
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Eternal Member

All my manuals say to plug the charger into the cart when not using it. And that is what I do. When I come home from anywhere I plug it in. I got 4 plus years on a set of batteries.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.