At Ease electric bill

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Default A few more things...

...you might consider.

Electric hot water...put a mechanical time switch on it. It only takes a few minutes to heat up the water when you need it. I set mine to be OFF all night...ON at 6am...OFF at 8am and allday...ON at 6pm and OFF again at 8pm and again allnight. BIG savings and we have all the hot water we need. About $50.00

Solar hot water is the way to go but is expensive.

Powered gable (attic) ventelator fans. Removes heat and moisture from ceiling/attic area. Your A/C ducts are up there in that 150+ degree heat in Summer and insulated ducts can only go so far to keep the air cool because its moving pretty fast. I have several of these fans. Some pull air in and others blow it out. Run during Summer...OFF in the Winter. Strongly reccomended and helps A LOT on A/C usage (electric bill). About 100.00 each professionally installed.

Window tinting helps alot keeping the house cooler. Price varies.

Dual pane insulated windows help tremendously but are expensive.

Best advice I can offer for extra refridgerators and freezers...move them inside to climate controlled area in Summer...back into garage in the Winter.
They DO give off heat. The harder they work the more heat is produced but in a controlled climate the heat produced is minimal. Freebie. Just takes a little pre-planning and some effort.

Invest in an energy audit. Usually the power companies offer these programs.
Someone from the power company will come to your home and show you ways to conserve. Things like leaky (drafty) door and window seals (they can test these and point them out to you) can cost you dearly and weather stripping and sealing products are minimal cost. Your power company may offer this service free. Contact them.

Another contact to help you save $$$

http://www.fpuc.com/FPU10-54%20ELECT...Insert_WEB.pdf

Fans are very effective at keeping the air moving and making you comfortable. They can "Mix" the air as well and reduce your A/C and Heating cost also. If your home has High or cathederal ceilings this helps a lot.
Ceiling fans are nice to have with reverse rotation but an just a small table top occillating fan works well. they are inexpensive and very quiet. Minimal cost.

A dehumidifier helps allot also. Takes some of the load off the A/C in the summer and you can bump the inside temp up a few degrees and be just as comfortable. Moderate investment. Maybe 100-150.00 dollars.

All the items I've mentioned will show you a immediate return on your investment. If all are implemented over a time period of say 6 months, each monthly electric bill should show a noticable decrease.

Hope this helps. I've been in Florida about all my life.
Dave

Last edited by PylutDood; 06-29-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Additional info URL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.