Effects of rapid growth south of 44

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2020, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 464 Posts

Gee, much different then you imagined? Really? This place has always grown like crazy and why would they change that? They have a successful model. The only thing that could change is that people stop wanting to come here. I do not understand why people always want to buy THEIR house and want everything to stop for anyone else.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgolf@comcast.net View Post
moved here 10 years ago. can see the hand writing on the wall. there is not enough golf courses for the massive increase in houses. cant get on executive courses and as a priority member, groups are being shut out on a weekly basis. developer does not understand. Everybody that moves here that are not golfers end up trying golf and most like it. So non golfers become golfers and the demand increases. The developer does not understand this. unless something changes, as a golfer we have seen the best on the villages. Greed is right!!!!!
It doesn’t make sense to build infrastructure (courses, restaurants, stores, roads, etc.) for the maximum population. If everyone lived here year round, more infrastructure would be added to meet demand. But it’s too expensive to have most of it go unused for most of the year. This is why the year rounders dread winter because of the influx of snowbirds. This place is great from May to December. If so many would quit going north in the spring, this would be a much better place.

And, please don’t tell me that snowbirds help fund my lifestyle. I’d rather pay more than deal with the short-term influx that prevents me from playing golf or forces me to wait an hour to get a table at a restaurant. I really don’t want to eat at dinner 4:30.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Default Bradford is Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
So, you're not a new villager ("been here four years") yet you're thinking about walking around in Bradford. You will be trespassing, no other way to say it. You've been here long enough to know that in any under-construction village there are barriers with signs, "NO TRESPASSING" plain and simple but I guess that doesn't apply to you. Shame on you!
The Village of Bradford is open. Still construction going on, but quite a large area before you hit the 'no trespassing' signs.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

It's the eternal debate between progress vs economic stagnation, isn't it. I understand questions about finite natural resources, environmental concerns, and sustainability, but those aren't unique to The Villages. Traffic to me remains quite low compared to the congested cities I'm most familiar with.

The Morse family has provided housing and amenities that many people find quite desirable. I personally neither laud nor castigate them for it. Other than reading here, I don't much think about them at all.

On another note, I'm very happy to see so many posters coming out of lurk mode to chime in over the last few weeks, both about COVID and other issues. Just because someone has an idea that's been expressed before doesn't make them a troll or sock puppet. Goodness. So much suspicion and antagonism.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseppe View Post
The Village of Bradford is open. Still construction going on, but quite a large area before you hit the 'no trespassing' signs.
Yeah, we saw several cars driving through Bradford yesterday evening and I think they were going down as far as the under-construction Aviary rec center.

If you get off the main road you will have more chance of getting a nail in your tire. We saw nails in the roads as we were walking.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

In 2003/2004 TV population was around 30,000+.
Buena Vista was only open heading South to the circle where Arnold Palmer is (then, going to be!).

I wonder what our reactions then would have been if we saw information that TV was going to add 100,000 new residents.

Fast forward to today we can happily say it only got better. Our daily world and how we navigated in it did not change much at all as TV expanded RAPIDLY toward 466A......then onto to CR 44.....and now points south (and more).....

Yes there is more traffic in some places at times. One learns alternative times and routes.

And yes we would do it again today.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgolf@comcast.net View Post
developer does not understand... The developer does not understand this. Greed is right!!!!!
The developer has been doing this for a long time. Pretty sure they understand more than we do.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Default Greed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintFredstone View Post
I've only live here for a couple of years and like the lifestyle & amenities. What I'm seeing now is totally different than what I imagined. With 60,000 new homes being built will the roads handle the volume of traffic? Will there be more pressure on the current championship courses since not enough new ones are being built? Will it be crowded year round from now on? I'm curious how many people have said enough and are moving out elsewhere. Seems like its all about greed.
You are correct, the infrastructure cannot handle all the new homes. Going up and down Morse Blvd is a nightmare at certain times of the day, because that is where most of the docs and the hospital are. They are starting to build some further down but it will take awhile. When we moved here in 2010 they told us the Villages would end at 466A and you see how that went.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wganderson13 View Post
You're seeing it now. Where have all the insects, bees, butterflies, snakes gone to? The environment has become sterilized. Without insects, we're doomed.They talk about the water quality of the springs, what about the overpopulation of America thru 3rd. world immigration? We grew 100M in the last 30 years. Highest rate in the Western Hemisphere. Nothing but housing & parking lots as far as the eye can see. It will collapse.
In both brand new homes it took awhile for all the geckos and snakes and birds and butterflies to find us. Both times we watched the critters reappear in less than a year and now we watch them comfortably from the lanai and front porch.

My husband and I are trying to help with the general over population and have ditched plans for a baby. There is a lot of water around us, under us and being taken up to the clouds and down in the rain here in Florida. We love to live here in The Villages, the lots are smaller and not so hard to keep nice. The common areas are profuse and lovely and trimmed and maintained regularly. Flowers are planted for all of us to enjoy five times a year and the butterflies love them too.

I hope it will not collapse. The building and maintenance and food suppliers and lawn people are all depending on this beautiful area for their bread and butter.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:44 AM

The plans South of 44 had already begun if you moved here a couple of years ago. The new growth should have been no surprise to you after you moved here.
We just moved here but have been coming for 3 years for short visits. All we heard from everyone was the new growth coming and how fast the homes & properties we're selling.
People have been complaining about snowbirds for years adding to the traffic, taking up tee times & filling up Restaurants. Many of those snowbirds own homes here. If it wasn't for the snowbirds the restaurants, businesses & golf courses would not survive.
No other places offer the amenities the Villages do. Baby Boomers are now retiring so that also is the reason for the growth all over Florida.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
You are correct, the infrastructure cannot handle all the new homes. Going up and down Morse Blvd is a nightmare at certain times of the day, because that is where most of the docs and the hospital are. They are starting to build some further down but it will take awhile. When we moved here in 2010 they told us the Villages would end at 466A and you see how that went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
In 2003/2004 TV population was around 30,000+.
Buena Vista was only open heading South to the circle where Arnold Palmer is (then, going to be!).

I wonder what our reactions then would have been if we saw information that TV was going to add 100,000 new residents.
Fast forward to today we can happily say it only got better. Our daily world and how we navigated in it did not change much at all as TV expanded RAPIDLY toward 466A......then onto to CR 44.....and now points south (and more).....

Yes there is more traffic in some places at times. One learns alternative times and routes.

And yes we would do it again today.
CDDs 9 & 10 were both established on September 28, 2004. Anyone shocked or surprised of growth down to SR44 was either uninformed, not paying attention, or didn't do their due diligence to find out what was happening around them. This didn't just happen overnight, it took years of planning.

Brownwood and Rohan Rec Center being built at the very southern edge of the know growth didn't bother to ask WHY? Why would you put a primary commercial property on the far edge away from most of the customers and not in a location surrounded by potential customers? Brownwood was planned in the late 90's, HS and GM were involved and knew exactly what they were doing.

Listen to the next 2 minutes of this video on the Making of Brownwood with Tracy Mathews and Mike Pape. The Building of Brownwood - Exciting Construction Plans - YouTube

This long term planning reflects decades of work and effort by HS, GM, and the entire development team. Did they know they would be developing the land south of SR44 like they are now? Of course they did, they knew exactly what they were doing long before most of us had even heard of The Villages.

If there was any surprises along the way, it was probably gaining control of the Wildwood Springs development that had most of the development planning and agreements in place. This allowed movement on development to happen quickly and probably ahead of schedule. As it turned out, it was an incredible success but it resulted in some problems they are now aggressively trying to address, connectivity. Wildwood Springs is a development that most have not heard of, but everyone knows the new monikers it took on, the Village of Fenney and the Village of DeSoto. The rest is pretty much history and some current events.

Has The Villages changed and does the current generation have different vision of the future, absolutely! Travel to the areas south of SR44 and you see a different kind of Villages, one more environmentally friendly, one more focused on being active, with more green spaces and preservation of the natural resources that were present before the first shovel of dirt was ever moved moved. A strong vision of environmental stewardship now exists. Nowhere else in The Villages is there this large an effort to maintain the environment and beauty of the land, simply look at a map of all the areas and you will see a profound difference, for the better.

The vocal few complain of "too big", "too crowded", "not in my back yard", "greedy", and "I want" with their digital courage from behind the keyboard. The typical, "I've got mine, now it's too big, they need to stop building" crowd. I say the "vocal few" because the vast majority of us our too busy out having fun, enjoying our retirements, and living to be sitting on the couch complaining on social media, I raise my glass to this silent majority! As for me now, the winds are a little too high to fly this afternoon, so I'm off to the golf course...
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-11-2020, 01:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Goldwing, that is a great post. Very informative and I totally agree with your sentiments about The Villages.

But you still owe a beer what the New Town Center is built south of CR470.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Goldwing, that is a great post. Very informative and I totally agree with your sentiments about The Villages.

But you still owe a beer what the New Town Center is built south of CR470.
Nope, CR470 will look like CR466 and US441/27 in 10 years, full of commercial properties on both side from the turnpike to where the hospital and schools will be built just south of the prison, and with the town square on the NORTH side of CR470 where 470 meets the road coming from the Bexley Bridge. The fifth town square will be south of CR470, do you what to know where?
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-11-2020, 03:13 PM
Default Crouds

I live near sumter landing and it is no more crouded today than when i bought here. I DO NOT consider south of 466a part of the villages. People there will never come here and i will never go there there. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintFredstone View Post
I've only live here for a couple of years and like the lifestyle & amenities. What I'm seeing now is totally different than what I imagined. With 60,000 new homes being built will the roads handle the volume of traffic? Will there be more pressure on the current championship courses since not enough new ones are being built? Will it be crowded year round from now on? I'm curious how many people have said enough and are moving out elsewhere. Seems like its all about greed.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
I live near sumter landing and it is no more crouded today than when i bought here. I DO NOT consider south of 466a part of the villages. People there will never come here and i will never go there there. Good luck.
Haaaaaaaa. You’re kidding, right?

Hate to burst your bubble, princess, I was just there earlier today.

Signed,

A south of 466A resident.
Closed Thread

Tags
built, crowded, courses, championship, current

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.