Eight foot 'gator?

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Eight foot 'gator?

Just heard that there was an 8 foot 'gator somewhere on St. Charles. Does anyone have any info on that? Just wondered if it was near water or in the 'hood.

LW888
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Default Gator

The gator crossed Buena Vista just south of Seabreeze and sat on the cart path before entering the hedge bushes. I got there around 7:00 and Community Watch was on site. When we arrived we were told is was 8'. It grew to 9' in twenty minutes and topped out at 10'. The Gator Trappers were called and after much thrashing and gator hisses, they ultimately had to shoot the gator. While attempting to trap it, the gator bit off the end of one of the trappers finger. We left when the ambulance was called. (the gator shrunk to about 5'-6'). I have a photo but not sure how to post it.

Hopefully the trapper recovers.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM

I was on the practice green by Turtle Mound this evening around 6:30 when the critter came out of the pond on the exectutive course. He came across the green where I was putting, went over the bottom rail of a wooden fence which he broke, then went across Buena Vista just north of the St Charles roundabout. The gator was slowly making his way between the houses heading for end Loreilei Lane looking for some lovin' I guess. Someone called Community Watch and a pickup showed up to guard the area until the "Gator Experts" arrived some time later after dark.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran member
Default at PUBLIX!

If you care to get a good look at him,,, stop by the frozen food section on Saturday ,, he will be there cut up and frozen for the price of 5$ a pound,,

WE ARE VISITORS IN HIS WORLD! kinda sad!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

But still someone was bitten, what happens when a dog bites. It ends about the same
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Sage

I have been reading here that folks owning CYV let their dogs out in their yards because it's fenced.

Maybe you want to check to see if there are any uninvited guests first.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
But still someone was bitten, what happens when a dog bites. It ends about the same
I have to believe the bite was a tongue in cheek attempt at humor as the size of the alligator appears to be in that post.

Please come back on WHODAT and clear this up immediatly before it goes global.

In other words... I thought he was kidding.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Platinum member

Me too Gracie! I can't imagine why anyone would harm the gators here!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I have been reading here that folks owning CYV let their dogs out in their yards because it's fenced.

Maybe you want to check to see if there are any uninvited guests first.
They can't climb walls, can they?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post

Heck, a gator that can go from 5'6" to 8' in a matter of minutes could probably not only climb a wall, but could probably get into your garage and drive you car away !!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Just about the time I start to relax I read posts about gators and snakes. WHY do I read them? Dunno, guess I am drawn to them like some idiot watching a crash she doesn't really want to see but can't turn away. It always makes me anxious and worried about my dogs in the CYV. It's like bad pregnancy horror stories when you are expecting. I have to learn to NOT read them I guess or deal with the anxiety they cause. I like Gracie who says she has never seen a snake. Keep talking, Gracie.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Default Gator

Gracie girl, so sorry but I was not joking about the bit finger........not something to kid about or said in jest. The Gator Trapper had an assistant and it was he who was bit. The homeowners grabbed a bag of ice for him. What I'm not sure of is how much was bitten off. I was standing next to the Community Watch fellow who called the report in after the trapper announced that his assistant had his finger bitten off. Sumpter County Police also arrived. What was crazy was that the PD Dispatcher actually started to ask his name and age and to hear the Community Watchman yell out those questions was crazy. He also needed the address where we were. The Community Watch man had no idea because we were on Buena Vista "behind" a house that faces another street and they wanted that address. Although we were right on Buena Vista they needed a more precise address so he had to drive around the block. I do know the bite resulted in a lot of blood on the shirt he wrapped his hand in before receiving the ice.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 PM

The increasing size of the gator was mentioned as an example how people can exaggerate what they see. I do have a photo of the dead gator but along with not knowing how to post photos - its probably not something everyone needs to see. The trapper did place a rag over his eyes - red but not sure if it was from the blood or not.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
If you google the subject on the internet, there are pictures of gators climbing fences. Of course, you can only believe 50% or less of stuff on the internet. If you want to know what gators sound like, you can even hear their different sounds, mating calls, roars of anger, etc. Pretty scary.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM

And you all tried to tell this poor old Kansas boy they were more afraid of me than I was of them. Hope they got the finger back and could reattach.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.