Eight foot 'gator?

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
You would probably hiss too Gracie if someone were threatening you in your habitat!
I just did Wendy...but the Admin just closed that thread.

NOW...does anyone know how the guy is that got bitten? Scary stuff.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Platinum member
Default Then There Is This Recently

Orlando Sentinal May 2nd

75-year-old Lake Wales man survives gator attack on golf course – The Downswing Golf Blog – Orlando Sentinel
Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

They interviewed the man on one of the Orlando TV stations. It ran last night. He sure had a huge scare. Alligator attacks 75-year-old golfer in Florida
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They interviewed the man on one of the Orlando TV stations. It ran last night. He sure had a huge scare.
Bet he'll drop another ball next time and move on.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Bet he'll drop another ball next time and move on.
Hope so. I remember when I lived in Palm Harbor there was a 10 foot alligator at Lake Tarpon's John Chestnut park which loved to sun itself on the shore of a small lake in that park. Japanese and other tourists knowing no better would try to get on the alligator so they could take pictures of one brave soul after another. Pinellas County, Florida, Park & Conservation Resources - John Chesnut Sr. Park

At some point, that alligator had had enough of his or her riders and hissed at someone.

They had to kill the gator because of these tourists taking pictures.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalkerb3 View Post
The water level is low; either a larger male alligator has taken up residence in his pond and evicted him. The food source in the pond he was in has been depleted. He was looking for love and had to move to a different pond trying to find it. We are going into the mating season for alligators, so they will be active.

Alligators are dangerous reptiles, and as they grow so does what on their food chain. Alligators for the most part are not in the habit of unprovoked attacks on humans, however it has happened. Your call on will it attack or not. I sure if this alligator had been out of the water for very long, was hot and tired. He will hiss and he will bite, and when a 9 foot alligator bites, whatever in its mouth is done.

There is no argument as to whether humans have encroached on alligators habitat. Sure we have, and will continue to. The gray area is how to cohabitate with them? This is a decision that each of us have to make for ourselves. Educate yourself on them.

Never feed and alligator or think it won't bite, even if you been looking at it for 5 years. Feeding and alligator is death sustenance for that alligator, because the alligator will lose its fear of humans. It will relate humans to a food source. You can find a lot of information on this and other animals or reptiles in Florida on the internet. Or you can contact the state FWC who will answer your questions. And yes they can climb a 6 foot fence, and run at great spped for a short distance.
I feel very sorry for the displaced animals like gators and coyotes. We need to respect their dilemma, and at the same time, keep our distance.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I thought these trappers were pretty darn good at snagging a gator and then taping it's mouth shut.

Gator trapping is not my idea of a safe job. The hissing could only be a scarred cornered trapped animal defending itself. I feel bad it had to end this way.

I do have a question. Can a Gator get rabid like a fox or racoons and go nuts? Or are the just in the mating season on the move.
I can't tell you about getting rabid, but I can tell you that they get more hissy and aggressive when mating and after dark when they're feeding.

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Default Alligator

No a alligator can’t get rabies, nor any other reptile. As far as on the move, alligators move from one pond or lake for all the reasons in prior post. We need to remind everyone we are in the mating season for alligators and other wildlife. During this time alligators can be extremely aggressive and should be taken seriously. Best to avoid any interaction with them at all; give them a big space when you see one! Alligators make terrible pets (JOKE) good when they are full, bad when hungry. Also to recap prior post, they can climb 6 foot fences, and will work themselves into whatever they want. This includes when one ready to move, when he or she is ready to move it will move. Snakes are more active now as well, looking for love. And like the alligator or people when looking for love and having a time finding it, the mind is safety wired on irritation. Also when snakes shed their skin, for a time they are blind due to the skin shedding around their eyes. So blind, hot and been looking for love = short tempered. Stay Safe and Injoy.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Me too Gracie! I can't imagine why anyone would harm the gators here!
Gators often times have to be killed (in the Villages) all over Florida because people feed them! I saw families down at the Sumpter Landing dock throwing a hot dog at the gator. I told them now that you have feed him they will have to kill him. Same for all other very wild animals. People feed them then next thing you know a child is walking by the lake with food and wham he bites (or worse) the child. Happens all the time.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
I can't tell you about getting rabid, but I can tell you that they get more hissy and aggressive when mating and after dark when they're feeding.

The Villages Florida
me too

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.