Elder Care Questions

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Sage
Default Elder Care Questions

Since TV is what it is, it might be easy to assume everybody here knows all the answers to all the aging questions. Well...heheh...I don't. And I need to know more than I know now.

My in-laws are in their late eighties. They're both doing very well, for their age of course. But naturally they can't quite keep up with things like they could. House and yard care for example. They are also becoming more prone to falls, take medications, and are dealing with most of the issues you would expect. Only one drives and he probably shouldn't be and won't be for much longer. Here are my main questions...

They want to stay in their house as long as possible. I understand and sympathize. And they may even be able to for a while yet. But if it becomes apparent that they simply cannot fully take care of themselves independently any more, what are the options? I know there nursing homes and assisted living facilities. A nursing home is not necessary yet. An ALF may be more than they need at this point also. Are there other "levels" of care facilities besides just these two?

Also, I know many things about staying in a house can be contracted...yard care, housecleaning, etc. But that still leaves issues like transportation, possible occasional medical needs, etc. So my next question is...are there options for them staying at home that I may not be aware of?

Again, they are not helpless, just approaching the place in life where considerable support is becoming more and more necessary. Possible ways to provide that support and still stay in their home? Facilities that might provide some level of care a bit short of ALFs?

Those are my questions. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

There are quite a few lovely independent livings with two meals a day, transportation, entertainment and activities, and other amenities in the area, both in The Villages and on the periphery.

You can check out Providence in Wildwood; Sumter Grande on 446 A in The Villages; a new one by Elan on 466 is taking reservations and will also have assisted and memory care.

There are more home health care agencies than you will ever have time to contact. Lots of in home support available, not so much transportation.

Important to have a plan because if a hip breaks at that age, everything changes quickly.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Polar Bear, good and timely questions as my dad turned 91 this year. Still in his own (two level) home and manages very well so far. However, he doesn't want to move ever again so these are questions all the siblings have been asking with no good answers yet. Next step may be some in-home assistance. Thanks, Jane.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 PM

There are two Independent Living communities next to Walmart on Rt.466, Carriage House and Steeplchase. They are month to month rentals, 3 meals a day, everything but your phone is included.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldseekur View Post
There are two Independent Living communities next to Walmart on Rt.466, Carriage House and Steeplechase. They are month to month rentals, 3 meals a day, everything but your phone is included.
As they are not physically located in The Villages, they do not provide any Villages amenities. They do transport residents to church, shopping and doctor appointments. You can access info about them on the internet and I believe they would give you a tour and a lunch while visiting them to check them out.

Providence Independence has another new owner, American Home. I have heard some folks there are not happy with changes and have decided to move. The new Elan Buena Vista will have Independent Living as well as Assisted and memory Care. A good source of free info is Care Patrol.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

easy choice for us. we will be leaving the Viilages and relocating closer to family. this is a great place as long as you remain healthy.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

My mom lives in Steeplechase, which is independent living. She now needs additional help with meds and have hired an inhouse caregiver that is very affordable.

She's been there for two years.

Send a pm and we can talk.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I did not know that Compass was out of Providence. That is a few management changes in a few years. Red flag it.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Our attorney, Mary Trotter, is an elder care attorney. Her office is located in Lange Eye in the area near the high school. She may be able to provide valuable information.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 PM

Last year I helped my 95 year old aunt move into a senior complex that offered apartments, catered care, assisted living, and attended care. No nursing home care. Except for the apartments, all the other units provide cleaning every two weeks, weekly bed changes, 3 meals a day, personal alarm pendant. There is transportation to stores. I shop for toiletries and non-prescription medicine every few weeks. Phone and cable is not included. With catered care you can ala cart extra services. She pays $15 per load of laundry with her detergent. She also pays for a weekly whirlpool bath ($50 per month). Usually it cost about $2600 total per month including around $110 in ala cart services. Assisted living would give her $200 worth of care per month and total would be $3500. Attended care would give her 28 hours of care a month. I do not know the monthly cost. If my aunt needs to be upgraded to assisted living she does not have to move out of her unit. I take her to doctor appointments, otherwise she has been quoted $70 just for the ride. I know a lot of people want to stay in their own homes but my aunt has more freedom with no cooking or cleaning or wash. She is more social than she has been in years. Loves eating with others, enjoys the entertainment, and feels safe. Every time I see her she says "I should have moved 5 years ago." A requirement to live in any of these units is to be able bathe or shower themselves with a CNA available to wash their backs and rinse their hair. If she can no longer handle her medications and needs help with them, she will need to be upgraded to assisted living. It took me about 2 months to research and tour places, and 4 months on the waiting list. While we waited, I got her meals on wheels, a cleaning lady, we completed healthcare and POA paperwork (especially important for dealing with insurance companies and mail order prescriptions), and found her a geriatric internist instead of her previous doctor. My aunt says it she is the most thorough doctor she ever had. Everything takes time, do not wait until a crisis.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Since TV is what it is, it might be easy to assume everybody here knows all the answers to all the aging questions. Well...heheh...I don't. And I need to know more than I know now.

My in-laws are in their late eighties. They're both doing very well, for their age of course. But naturally they can't quite keep up with things like they could. House and yard care for example. They are also becoming more prone to falls, take medications, and are dealing with most of the issues you would expect. Only one drives and he probably shouldn't be and won't be for much longer. Here are my main questions...

They want to stay in their house as long as possible. I understand and sympathize. And they may even be able to for a while yet. But if it becomes apparent that they simply cannot fully take care of themselves independently any more, what are the options? I know there nursing homes and assisted living facilities. A nursing home is not necessary yet. An ALF may be more than they need at this point also. Are there other "levels" of care facilities besides just these two?

Also, I know many things about staying in a house can be contracted...yard care, housecleaning, etc. But that still leaves issues like transportation, possible occasional medical needs, etc. So my next question is...are there options for them staying at home that I may not be aware of?

Again, they are not helpless, just approaching the place in life where considerable support is becoming more and more necessary. Possible ways to provide that support and still stay in their home? Facilities that might provide some level of care a bit short of ALFs?

Those are my questions. Thanks in advance.
Do they have Meals on Wheels in TV? I really would like to know (or something similar?)...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 PM
Gold member

My former neighbor was receiving meals at her home. I think they were from Operation Home-bound located at North Lake Presbyterian Church on Griffin Road in Lady Lake
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 PM
Default Questions

Polar Bear

Do your parents live in or near The Villages.

Where is the closest caring relative ?

There is a group here called Tri County Caregivers that offers many programs available to folks like you that have a lot of questions and do not know where to start.

They also offer day trips to check out the various health care facilities in the area. I am leaning more towards a facility that offers total care which means I will not have to move again outside of the facility. They will have progressive care for life.

Please call Tri County Caregivers and they will be able to help you. If you call the Medicine Chest in Brownwood they can put you in touch with them.

All the Best

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 06-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Could you please tell me who the geriatric internist was? Thanks, Pat
Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A good part of the answer involves money. Is money an issue? Assume not.
You can advertise for a driver for errands. You might find someone in the community.
Look for a live in person if you have room.
Some grocery stores have on line shopping and you pick up in your car. Amazon will send non perishable items. At some point local grocery stores will probably start delivers.
A couple of years ago their was a business that would do shopping for you. Do not know if they are still in business.
Try using the cell phone. They should carry one all the time so if they fall or another emergency come up they can call for help.
Have a key to the home at a couple of neighbors. Maybe a note on the door to tell emergency people where to go for a key.
Put emergency info on the refrigerator. - medications, doctors, contacts. This is a common place for emergency people to look. Usually in a red envelope. Check with your local fire department. They may also put batteries in your smoke alarms.
Some police departments will do daily wellness checks where they call each day and check on them.
You can call them once or twice a day to see how they are and if they took their medicine, have a problem etc.
You can put cameras in the home that will broadcast over the internet so you can check in. These can also have sound. You can get ones that is motion activated and sends out emails. Problem is privacy. Maybe a motion camera (no sound) that aims at the Kitchen sink. You could check your email and know when there were at the sink. This might help you tell if their is a problem. Under $100 if they have internet. If they go in and out of the house several times a day you could have the camera set up as a normal outside security camera and you could see that they were up and about that day. No privacy problem.
You can install a switch on an outside light that can be set to blink the light if they are in trouble. Neighbors would have to know about the light.
There maybe a citizen patrol in the area. Do not know what they might do.
Call the county senior citizen (call the county to find) and I think they will have some service that will help with your problem.
Amazon has Amazon Prime that will let them shop for almost anything on line and deliver in two days. For online ordering you could talk to them on the phone and then place the orders for them.
Try a handy man service to see if you can have someone to do a lot of the off an on chores as they come up.
Alexa from Amazon might be the answer. You can put one in each room if necessary and all they have to do is talk to it. Be sure to have a command to call you and the emergency people if necessary. In the area of home automation you can turn lights on/off, TV etc. I would research Alexa as they would have privacy and could send email or order on line from Amazon. I would write to Amazon and as then what they suggest for your problem.
Do they have a golf cart? Cut down on driving?
Assume their medicine can be handled by mail. Again you can probably log on to the health providers site and do what is necessary to order drugs etc.
I think you want to see what a computer and the internet can do. Might be a lot more help than we realize.
You should see if you can monitor their checking account. Have the bank statement sent to you each month. If you see problems then take some corrective action.
Have utilities send you copies of monthly bills and contact you if there are problems. I think this is pretty standard.
Automate bills using an online bill paying service. Their bank probably offers.
If toilets are not the high variety you might want to get one. Also more grab bars, walk in tub if you do not have a walk in shower.
Maybe a chair with wheels for disabled (not a wheelchair) Easer to move around house if rugs not a problem. Could also put items on chair (wash) and push around the home.
Skype might be good for phone calls. You can see how they look.

Please let us know what you did as it may help others. Very good question.
Closed Thread

Tags
care, questions, home, facilities, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.