Elderly Abuse

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A simple question. As you have grown older have you noticed any real or subtle abuse in the medical fields in the Villages because of your age?. This would include Dentists, Doctors, etc.? If so what kind of less than good or respectable care are you talking about? I am not asking for the names of great doctors, or the great care you have been given. Rather any less than great care because you believe it was age related? Also, not asking for the Dentist, Physician.etc names, just the care you think was because of your age?
Just the opposite
Old 10-21-2020, 05:52 PM

I can say I have received different treatment than I would have received in my 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, and even 50’s. Just little things like if you were in your ....‘s we would probably do this, or after ....age you really don’t need to have this procedure/test any longer. Then there is always, well, it’s just an age related issue. I could scream, I’m still alive and would like to remain that way for quite some time!
Old 10-22-2020, 08:33 AM

I think the medical care in TV is awful. I’ve had a lot of experience with the hospitals and doctors. I changed primaries because every time I went in it was like I was a new patient. I changed pain docs because my pain doc wax the most insensitive person I’ve ever met. I feel seeing a doctor here is almost detrimental to your health. It seems all they r is pill dispensaries. Always prescribing another med without ever explaining the side affects. Beware of just taking another med just because your doc prescribed it. The result could be more problems then u currently have. I wouldn’t go to the villages regional or Leesburg hospital if I was dieing. In my husbands last years both hospitals gave him more deadly infections then I’ve ever heard or experience. Our medical care here doesn’t just need an improvement it needs a whole overhaul!
Old 10-25-2020, 10:18 AM

It would be great if you expecifie the reason for your question. I don't like this subtle questions which can be used for other purposes other than to find a good service provider.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A simple question. As you have grown older have you noticed any real or subtle abuse in the medical fields in the Villages because of your age?. This would include Dentists, Doctors, etc.? If so what kind of less than good or respectable care are you talking about? I am not asking for the names of great doctors, or the great care you have been given. Rather any less than great care because you believe it was age related? Also, not asking for the Dentist, Physician.etc names, just the care you think was because of your age?
No, not with medical people at all, in fact just the opposite. I find condescending attitudes from SOME posters on this forum who are younger.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail herrmann View Post
I think the medical care in TV is awful. I’ve had a lot of experience with the hospitals and doctors. I changed primaries because every time I went in it was like I was a new patient. I changed pain docs because my pain doc wax the most insensitive person I’ve ever met. I feel seeing a doctor here is almost detrimental to your health. It seems all they r is pill dispensaries. Always prescribing another med without ever explaining the side affects. Beware of just taking another med just because your doc prescribed it. The result could be more problems then u currently have. I wouldn’t go to the villages regional or Leesburg hospital if I was dieing. In my husbands last years both hospitals gave him more deadly infections then I’ve ever heard or experience. Our medical care here doesn’t just need an improvement it needs a whole overhaul!
wow, you better head back up north.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:11 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail herrmann View Post
TV hospital system is poor overall dropping from three star to one star over a two year period in Medicare evaluations. And they give the proper treatment for sepsis in only about 20% of the cases. But there are still some good doctors who practice there.

To answer the question we have not seen elderly abuse regarding medical treatment.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I have trained a few medical worker bees to not call me by any of the common terms of endearment, like "sweetie", "honey", etc.
I guess you were not raised in the South like we were.

A few days ago a worker at the deli section at Publix called me "Honey" when she gave me the food I asked for and I responded, "Thank you, Honey". She thought it was really funny and smiled.

It is great to be back in Florida where I was raised.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranford61 View Post
The hygienist was measuring you gingival pocket depth. Depths of 4-5 mm are borderline indicators of swollen gums or loss of bone. Sounds like they were being thorough. You could’ve deferred extra treatment and asked for a re-evaluation in 6-12 months to see if the pocket depths were stable or increased. I think you might’ve missed out on a good dentist and opted for one who said what you wanted to hear.
I think the poster was saying that the numbers called out during the exam were then inflated when repeated while indicating a need for further procedure.

Tags
care, great, abuse, names, doctors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.