Electric batteries

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Default Electric batteries

When I leave my golf cart for six monthe what do I do to protect my batteries. Do I leave them charged or what???
Old 03-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

I have an EZGO electric cart. I haven't left it for more than 4 months but what I do is check and fill the water and charge it up the night before I head back north. The batteries will discharge slowly each month. When I get back, I just plug in the charger and when fully charged, we go. I also unplug any unnecessary appliances arounfd the house along with the battery charger just incase of power outages, lightning, etc.

If you have a neighbor that can have access to your garage, maybe once a month he can give them a quick charge and go for a short drive, but I dont think it is really necessary.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 PM

I'm not sure about golf carts but they do make battery chargers that maintain a batteries condition constantly. Just hook it up and it will keep the batteries fully charged no matter how long you let them sit. The product I'm thinking is called a Battery Tender.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Sage
Default Florida summers are not a batteries friend

In summers past I have disconnected all components from the pack to avoid any parasitic discharge and left them for up to four months. I wish I could remember the voltage of the pack upon my return, but I cannot.

I have never read anything positive about doing this. The heat of Florida summers causes a higher rate of discharge which in turn causes sulfation, which in turn shortens the life of a battery.....

I would either get someone you trust to come check the cart periodically or as Penguin mentions get a battery tender. I am in the process of getting the Battery Minder product for my two carts.

Trojan Battery has a great web site. Check out this document, specifically section 4. Storage.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJ...UsersGuide.pdf
Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Eternal Member
Default Battery Storage

Since there is no such place as "a cool dry place " in our FLORIDA garages

A product like The Battery minder works well for our circumstances.

These units maintain the proper level of charge for your batteries and also desulfates them electronically as well as minimizing water evaporation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.