Electric bikes on walking/bike paths

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-16-2021, 04:54 PM
andercat andercat is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Default Electric bikes on walking/bike paths

Are electric bikes allowed on the walking/bike paths?
  #2  
Old 09-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Toymeister's Avatar
Toymeister Toymeister is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 45
Thanked 1,428 Times in 446 Posts
Default

Yes, please be polite and signal (bell) or announce (on your left) that you are there when overtaking walkers.
  #3  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:16 AM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,724
Thanks: 38
Thanked 954 Times in 497 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Yes, please be polite and signal (bell) or announce (on your left) that you are there when overtaking walkers.
Endless posts on the same subject. Post such as I was wrong are non-existent. I drive a car, a golf cart and a bike. Truth, I do not understand why people ride electric bikes as I ride my bike for exercise. But, hey do whatever you want till it intrudes on my rights.

As far as overtaking walkers, the same applies on a regular bike, a golf cart and a car.
The best accident is the one that does not happen. Walkers should be on the sidewalk where there is one. They should be walking toward traffic so as to see what is coming toward them. Bright clothes are a good idea for walkers and bike riders. And the world is not perfect as stated the best accident is the one that does not happen.
  #4  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:27 AM
eremite06's Avatar
eremite06 eremite06 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 803
Thanks: 37
Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I ride my ebike for exercise just as I do with my other bikes.
__________________
Penna. until '68, Florida since '73.
  #5  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:55 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 8,291
Thanks: 558
Thanked 5,650 Times in 2,093 Posts
Default

I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #6  
Old 09-17-2021, 11:51 AM
Toymeister's Avatar
Toymeister Toymeister is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 45
Thanked 1,428 Times in 446 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=DAVES;2005321Truth, I do not understand why people ride electric bikes as I ride my bike for exercise.
[/QUOTE]

The truth is every cyclist will either be on an ebike eventually or quit cycling, it's just a matter of time. Your body will certainly give out on you. E-cyclists go further and get as much or more exercise than most casual cyclists.

There are lots of different types of ebikes. Most from a bike shop will be 250 watts without throttle whereas most from the internet will be 1000watt peak (750 nominal) Chinese specials. Different bikes for different purposes. We're all cyclists, though, same rights and responsibilities.
  #7  
Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 PM
RICH1 RICH1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North side
Posts: 436
Thanks: 1,004
Thanked 435 Times in 187 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.
Bald head ...that guy is everywhere
  #8  
Old 09-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44,233
Thanks: 4,582
Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Bald head ...that guy is everywhere
Glad I have missed him so far here in the Villages.
  #9  
Old 09-17-2021, 02:01 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 8,574
Thanks: 4,065
Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,370 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The truth is every cyclist will either be on an ebike eventually or quit cycling, it's just a matter of time. Your body will certainly give out on you. E-cyclists go further and get as much or more exercise than most casual cyclists.

There are lots of different types of ebikes. Most from a bike shop will be 250 watts without throttle whereas most from the internet will be 1000watt peak (750 nominal) Chinese specials. Different bikes for different purposes. We're all cyclists, though, same rights and responsibilities.

IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.
  #10  
Old 09-17-2021, 02:20 PM
Trayderjoe's Avatar
Trayderjoe Trayderjoe is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Villages Lake Sumter-Finally!
Posts: 716
Thanks: 0
Thanked 169 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Endless posts on the same subject. Post such as I was wrong are non-existent. I drive a car, a golf cart and a bike. Truth, I do not understand why people ride electric bikes as I ride my bike for exercise. But, hey do whatever you want till it intrudes on my rights.

As far as overtaking walkers, the same applies on a regular bike, a golf cart and a car.
The best accident is the one that does not happen. Walkers should be on the sidewalk where there is one. They should be walking toward traffic so as to see what is coming toward them. Bright clothes are a good idea for walkers and bike riders. And the world is not perfect as stated the best accident is the one that does not happen.
All too often I see walkers on the wrong side of the multi-modal path. I give as wide a berth as I can when passing them, and yet many (not all) are still startled as I pass on my bike. Probably has something to do with the earphones many wear so they never heard my warning that I was coming up on their left. <sigh> Maybe these walkers are why it is still "Darwin's Theory" instead of "Darwin's Law".....
__________________
"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."
-
Theodore Rubin
  #11  
Old 09-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 1,073
Thanks: 220
Thanked 1,499 Times in 499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.
As someone who both walks and rides a bicycle, that is not my experience.
__________________
COVID: Brandolini's Law applies - whack-a-mole should be a game, not a profession

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
  #12  
Old 09-17-2021, 03:07 PM
kkingston57 kkingston57 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 199
Thanks: 23
Thanked 104 Times in 64 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=dewilson58;2005351]I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.

Sounds like someone with a Napoleon complex.
  #13  
Old 09-17-2021, 03:24 PM
Kelevision Kelevision is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 196
Thanks: 1
Thanked 213 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.
There are several types of ebikes but I don’t know of any where you don’t have to pedal? You can get great exercise on them.
  #14  
Old 09-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Dana1963 Dana1963 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 942
Thanks: 3,024
Thanked 1,040 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
Are electric bikes allowed on the walking/bike paths?
A bicycle is a bicycle single speed, multiple speed. Electric bicycles have pedals too.
  #15  
Old 09-17-2021, 03:41 PM
John Mayes John Mayes is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 126
Thanks: 330
Thanked 168 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.
Reply

Tags
electric, bikes, walking/bike, paths, allowed

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.