Electric bikes on walking/bike paths

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default if you're walking ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Yes, please be polite and signal (bell) or announce (on your left) that you are there when overtaking walkers.
and NOT on a sidewalk the bikes should be riding on the right(like the carts)and walkers on their left so that carts and bikes should be oncoming to the walkers...no need for "on your left" if folks are obeying the rules of the road and using common sense.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.
Let me explain

My Ebike has pedals and gears just like a regular bike. It also has a big lithium battery and a small electric motor inside the rear wheel hub.

I can cruise around using pure throttle if I want, but I never do. You can select Pedal Assist levels from 1 to 5. I mostly use 1 and 2.
The bike weighs 68 pounds. When you are pedaling, you are burning calories and exercising your legs. I know this because I havr lost 15 covid pounds since I bought it.

Last edited by SkBlogW; 09-17-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.
Bald is Beautiful. I see it every time I look in the mirror.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I jus got smoked by a little bald head guy, on a small wheel electric bike and he was traveling close to 30 mph on a path. He thought he was pretty cool weaving around walkers, other bikes & carts. He is definitely trying to compensate for something.
Or maybe he has a giant tallywhacker and was just having fun.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

yelling 'on your left used to work on ski slopes... otherwise its like yelling 'fore on aTV golf 1 hopes their hearing aids are (turned up& working
Old 09-17-2021, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkBlogW View Post
Let me explain

My Ebike has pedals and gears just like a regular bike. It also has a big lithium battery and a small electric motor inside the rear wheel hub.

I can cruise around using pure throttle if I want, but I never do. You can select Pedal Assist levels from 1 to 5. I mostly use 1 and 2.
The bike weighs 68 pounds. When you are pedaling, you are burning calories and exercising your legs. I know this because I havr lost 15 covid pounds since I bought it.
No need to explain I have eyes 👀. When two in there at least late 70’s can peddle electric bike up up hill to Chatham 25 plus MPH and moving their legs 🦵 means the only exercise they are getting moving their legs.

Just think how much you would of lost without the electric assistance?

IMO Basically electric bicycle are mopeds which should be licensed.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
No need to explain I have eyes 👀. When two in there at least late 70’s can peddle electric bike up up hill to Chatham 25 plus MPH and moving their legs 🦵 means the only exercise they are getting moving their legs.

Mopeds don't have pedals anymore.

The couple you saw going 25 uphill were probably in PA level 5.

Real Ebikers don't use level 5

Don't be a hater
Old 09-17-2021, 05:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
IMO No they don’t cause the are not peddling. You have to ride bicycle 10 times further than walking for same exercise do to the gearing and coasting. Now add electric assist and another x10.
You quite obviously do not understand the types and classes of electric bikes. I have my doubts that you would care if I explained this to you. That is available to you if you care to Google it, search term ' ebike classes'.

What is important for you to know is Florida has protected by statute ebikes. You can have your opinion, whatever it is, but it does not and will not change the statute. Under no circumstances are ebikes subject to licensing, it has been decided by our elected representatives. Your opinion does not matter, it may make you mad but it is done.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Let me explain

The bike weighs 68 pounds. When you are pedaling, you are burning calories and exercising your legs.
Absolutely, But when one is not pedaling they're scootering!

My wife and I walk 6 mornings a week from Amelia to LSL and back so we have about a 6 mile daily experience going along O'Dell and the Morse MMP between O'Dell and Stillwater and we see multiple e-bikes every single day and VERY RARELY is a leg moving more than once or twice all the while they are in our field of vision. I am 100% sure there are those who use it for exercise so no one take it personally but what we see daily is not biking. The e-bikers are always so obvious because they aren't sweating! You can most definitely tell the "pure" bikers from the e-bikers when they go up the hill on O'Dell and by the tunnels watching them with total awe huffing and puffing up those hills because there is no way I could ever attempt that. I find it hard enough to WALK up those hills.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:45 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
All too often I see walkers on the wrong side of the multi-modal path.
Are there some places in this country were you are suppose to walk with traffic??? I don't understand why people do this. Walking blind.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:01 AM
Default Learn something new everyday

Quote:
Are there some places in this country were you are suppose to walk with traffic??? I don't understand why people do this. Walking blind.
I walk on the left side of the road on multimodal paths and regular streets with no sidewalk. I assumed that on the pedestrian/bike path you would do the same. I noticed that I was in the minority on these paths. I did an internet search. (We all know everything on the net is true. ) On several sites it says that on paths with no motorized vehicles " Walk on the right side of the trail, slowest traffic keep right; pass on left. At busy areas on the trail, avoid walking three abreast. Two people walking side by side fills up a lot of trail. When faster traffic comes up from behind switch from walking abreast to in-line to give them room to go by you safely."
So I guess the rules for nonmotorized paths are different than motorized paths and roads.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default "don't be a hater"???

Quote:
Mopeds don't have pedals anymore.

The couple you saw going 25 uphill were probably in PA level 5.

Real Ebikers don't use level 5

Don't be a hater
it's just an opinion that doesn't agree. doesn't make them a "hater". What suggesting that someone might be is divisive. If you don't like free speech your going to have issues.

don't be a name caller
Old 09-18-2021, 08:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The truth is every cyclist will either be on an ebike eventually or quit cycling, it's just a matter of time. Your body will certainly give out on you. E-cyclists go further and get as much or more exercise than most casual cyclists.

There are lots of different types of ebikes. Most from a bike shop will be 250 watts without throttle whereas most from the internet will be 1000watt peak (750 nominal) Chinese specials. Different bikes for different purposes. We're all cyclists, though, same rights and responsibilities.
No, the truth is NOT every cyclist will be on an ebike or quit cycling. I exercise on my actual bike (not a moped) most days of the week, and will not be buying an ebike (moped) in this lifetime.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

It is clear people will argue about anything. It all kind of fits together. As far as mopeds and needing a license and insurance. It is similar to golf carts. A golf cart that is speed controlled for 20 mph you do not need a license or insurance. An electric bike that is not speed controlled and can do more than 20 mph is essentially a motor cycle and SHOULD require a license and insurance. Mopeds, if I recall you also needed a license and insurance when the engine size, thus potential speed exceeded a certain limit.

In any case whatever the power is 30 mph on a mutimodal path is well NOT SMART. Reality is truly SIMPLE.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
and NOT on a sidewalk the bikes should be riding on the right(like the carts)and walkers on their left so that carts and bikes should be oncoming to the walkers...no need for "on your left" if folks are obeying the rules of the road and using common sense.
Reality. Endless posts. If, folks know the rules of the road. if people know the rules and follow them. Common sense? Add to that you do not usually know people you are passing. The simple answer is to SLOW DOWN. You are in control of what you do.
Accident? The best accident is the one that does not happen and most accidents are avoidable.
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, bikes, walking/bike, paths, allowed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.