Electric carts charging stations

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer49 View Post
Not true for all electric carts. I’m surprised by how many folks in TV are unaware of the improvements in electric carts that have come from use of lithium battery technology. We recently made a 31-mile round trip from our home in Marsh Bend (near Everglades) to Spanish Springs and used a little less than 50% of our battery capacity. 30-minutes of charging will provide an hour of run time, and there’s no battery maintenance or battery fade (and they have an 8-yr warranty). Only downside is initial expense.

Do your research and you will find that lithium batteries can be bought for at or near the same price as a good quality gel, agm or flooded batteries.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

And who says that the charge would be free?? It would be a revenue stream for whomever installed the charging station
Old 04-06-2021, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Easy answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemlopez View Post
With the tremendous growth of The Villages and the long distances from the different amenities, I think it is about time that electric charging stations be installed at strategic locations. (a good example is the softball fields at Everglades, if you live around CR466 or North of it, it is impossible to make the round trip with out running out of power).
Just something to think about.
The easy answer is to get a gas cart.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:08 AM

My relion lithium batteries charge fast and come with their own small lightweight charger that can be mounted in the cart. All that is needed is a 120V outlet. And the cost of electricity is trivial (about one-tenth the cost of gas). And if I want more range someday, I just add another battery.

Clean, quiet, efficient. What more could one ask for?
Old 04-06-2021, 06:16 AM

Electric carts are terrible. Gas is the best way to go. They get great gas mileage too!
Old 04-06-2021, 06:19 AM

Not sure it will ever happen. I think there are more gas carts in TV than electric. Maybe someone can contact Elon to see if hes making a Tesla golf cart. ;-). That may be the only way to see charging stations
Old 04-06-2021, 06:25 AM

I'm sure they will look into this right after they start the free trolley service.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:26 AM
Default Not only for carts

1, DC fast chargers won't help lead acid charging and aren't necessary for the small li-ion batteries in carts. They can charge almost to full capacity in a short time with a standard 110 outlet using the on board charger. This is the smartest configuration for a village cart.

2. If there were available 110 outlets at in the parking lots near the restaurants or squares, it would benefit the lead battery carts if the drivers brought their own charger. But more so will be forward thinking for those cart owners who are also forward thinking by going with li-ion.

3. The cost of kw is low. The benefit to the villages would be less noise, less dirty exhaust from smelly gas carts, maybe less automobile traffic.

4. Perhaps an app or credit card system could be installed if the villages developer is hurting for revenue. Business owners may set up a "validation ticket" type system to provide a few watt-hrs to customers.

5. The most forward thinking idea would be to provide level 2 charging for electric vehicles, such as the Mustang Mach-e.
These chargers provide 30 miles of range per hr on the plug.

Sorry that I haven't thrown in any opinions - only facts and ideas.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:32 AM
Default Li-ion us light weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer49 View Post
Not true for all electric carts. I’m surprised by how many folks in TV are unaware of the improvements in electric carts that have come from use of lithium battery technology. We recently made a 31-mile round trip from our home in Marsh Bend (near Everglades) to Spanish Springs and used a little less than 50% of our battery capacity. 30-minutes of charging will provide an hour of run time, and there’s no battery maintenance or battery fade (and they have an 8-yr warranty). Only downside is initial expense.
Li ion conversion from lead will shave off 200 to 250 lbs.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Buy gas then there is no problem
Well, except for the noise and pollution. The fumes in the tunnels are terrible.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:35 AM
Thumbs down No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkerr View Post
Electric carts are terrible. Gas is the best way to go. They get great gas mileage too!
No. No. No.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Default Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemlopez View Post
With the tremendous growth of The Villages and the long distances from the different amenities, I think it is about time that electric charging stations be installed at strategic locations. (a good example is the softball fields at Everglades, if you live around CR466 or North of it, it is impossible to make the round trip with out running out of power).
Just something to think about.
If your cart won't make that trip without recharging then you should replace the batteries because the range of good batteries is much farther than that
Old 04-06-2021, 06:37 AM

Buy a Star Sirius, 50-60 miles per charge, problem solved.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Have a battery station where you exchange the battery. You pay only for the charge in a fully charged battery. You swap out the batteries, a lithium battery is not that heavy. Like a vending machine for batteries. Swapping stations are already in practice in Taiwan for scooters (Yamaha).
swap out batteries? I don't know about your electric golf cart mine had 8 batteries. not sure that would work. Scooters only take maybe one or two batteries.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:51 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes60 View Post

Just buy a portable charger and take with you, that would solve your problem, our fees do not need to go up anymore to support something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
& then steal electricity from???.............
.........the postal stations of course............where have you been?
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, charging, stations, north, live

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.