Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   ? on Electric/Hybrid Vehicle's (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/electric-hybrid-vehicles-325609/)

Bay Kid 10-26-2021 07:07 AM

Too quiet. I need that piped in V8 sound then maybe...not....

butlerism 10-26-2021 07:09 AM

I cannot wait to go on a battery powered commercial plane.

Leadership by example, make them set the precedent so we can see the failures real time and then the brain trust will disappear.

Redwood8300 10-26-2021 07:11 AM

Rav4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecuadog (Post 2021510)
The PHEV that piques my interest is the Toyota RAV4 Prime. Just finding one is almost impossible and if you do, I’d hate to know how much over the MSRP the dealer is looking to get.

Made in Japan.
$7,500.00 federal tax credit.
40 mile range on batteries.
540 mile range on gasoline.
You can choose when to use batteries.
302 hp.
0-60 mph in about 6 seconds.
All-wheel-drive.
12 hour charge on 110 volt outlet with standard, onboard charger.
4.5 hour charge on 240 volt outlet with standard, onboard charger.
Larger (quicker), onboard charger available.
All the modern safety stuff is standard.

Just purchased one two months ago - you are right, they are more rare than hen's teeth. You might check Toyota of Orlando. I can get 40 to 50 miles on a charge depending on how I drive which means unless I take a trip up north the gas engine never runs. Probably will be easier to find when the 2022 models are here.

biker1 10-26-2021 07:14 AM

A lot of stuff here that isn't true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlerism (Post 2021591)
No way......... never.

>>>>Fine. Nobody cares what you do.

Batteries are very expensive.

>>>>Yes, and the price keeps dropping. EVs and ICE cars are rapidly approaching price parity. The Tesla Model 3 price is less than the average cost of a new car.

Try to grasp that warranty plan to change out batteries under warranty. Most likely you will be getting a new "refurbished battery".

>>>>>You will get a new battery or a replacement that meets the range requirement of the warranty. Do you care?

Add up all the costs to make a plastic electric car ( fossil fuels required) .

>>>>>What are you talking about when you say "plastic electric car"? Teslas are essentially aluminum alloy and steel.

Where are all the cost benefit analysis's data to show the viability?

>>>>>Why don't you do a cost benefit analysis to show the non viability?

That is what engineers do.
We do not run a round selling a 1 degree change in world temperature justifies changing out an entire industry.
When China, Russia, all these other countries fully change over, then lets talk again.

>>>>>China is the world leader in electric cars. Russia, not so much, but who cares.

These ideas are being pushed by non scientific people.

>>>>Really? Want to prove that?

The world is laughing.

>>>>>No, they aren't. Many countries are rapidly moving to incent their populations to buy electric cars.

Where are all the electrics in Mexico, England, France and Canada.
Canada gets very very cold. Batteries do not like deep cold.
Recall that spec on a battery called "Cold Cranking Amps". Why is that?
So in Canada to buy an EV also means you need a heated garage. Total joke!

>>>>>Wrong. Just keep it plugged in. If you are parked overnight in cold weather without access to a plug then typically the battery will condition itself. Range is reduced in cold weather. It is what it is.

Now for safety issues. On average most electric cars involved in a decent accident, the batteries go on fire. Let alone the spontaneous eruption into flames while not driving.

>>>>>The spontaneous fires are in Chevy Bolts. They have all been recalled. Battery fires are harder to put out than gasoline fires. Fires in gasoline cars are more common than fires in EVs on a miles driven basis.

My favorite is the images showing an EV in the surf at the beach. Guess what some numb nut will try to do that. Warranty voided.

>>>>I haven't read the warranty restrictions on EVs and doubt you have either.

Also when salt water comes into contact with batteries. A very nasty gas called Chlorine is disassociated when the two mix.

>>>>>No. Regardless, lithium-ion batteries are sealed.

My other favorite is lets go to the mountain trails, off road. Now while we are 30 miles into the deep woods, battery failure. Then what? That is one hefty bill for a tow or a repair.

>>>>>If you want to construct worst case scenarios for every thing you do in life then you should stay home.

All Pigs in Lipstick..... still a Pig at the end of the day.

>>>>>Buy an EV or don't buy an EV, nobody cares. But please don't make up stuff.

midiwiz 10-26-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2021355)
From the information we have on this new way of transportation, I'm asking:

Would you consider a EV or Hybrid vehicle in your future.

I know their coming and but it's the battery's that concerns me and every year
they seem to improve in mileage.

Your Thoughts Please.

1) doesn't do anything for the planet except make it worse.
2) battery life is an issue especially with many short distance trips
3) Hybrid serves no real benefit aside from more expense
4) charging stations??? and beyond that QUICK not I have to wait 30 minutes....

all in all it's a "I have nothing better to do but climb on behind Greta" thing. Plus I'm a capitalist - I like V8 engines and burning premium fuel!

mike1946 10-26-2021 07:19 AM

Try coming to the UK it's already over $10 ...just thank your lucky stars !!!

Bill14564 10-26-2021 07:32 AM

Had two Prius and loved them. Nearly six years and over 180K miles on each with absolutely no problems. I miss my Prius.

Would definitely look at a hybrid for the next vehicle. Would need to balance additional cost against mileage. A few extra thousand to increase mileage from 30mpg to 50mpg would be worth it but maybe not if the increase was not as large.

Would love to go EV but range is an issue. The next vehicle will be used for long trips and I can't imagine sitting for 30 minutes or more waiting for a recharge. But, perhaps things will change by the time I need a new vehicle.

biker1 10-26-2021 07:36 AM

I believe the current best you can do is about 200 miles of highway range in about 20 mins if the battery pack is in a low state of charge. The charging rate is a function of the state of charge of the battery pack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2021632)
Had two Prius and loved them. Nearly six years and over 180K miles on each with absolutely no problems. I miss my Prius.

Would definitely look at a hybrid for the next vehicle. Would need to balance additional cost against mileage. A few extra thousand to increase mileage from 30mpg to 50mpg would be worth it but maybe not if the increase was not as large.

Would love to go EV but range is an issue. The next vehicle will be used for long trips and I can't imagine sitting for 30 minutes or more waiting for a recharge. But, perhaps things will change by the time I need a new vehicle.

DlWFLX 10-26-2021 07:36 AM

EV car

Would you consider a EV or Hybrid vehicle in your future.

Purchased a RAV4 Prime, which gets 40-50 miles on electric and then switches to hybrid. For day to day local travel the EV is all I need. Only 1 tank of gas in the past 3 months, with overall mph of 70.
Love the car!!

kkingston57 10-26-2021 08:09 AM

My brother has a plug in BMW hybrid 500 serices. Goes 14 miles on a charge. Overall he gets 38 MPG and still has BMW performance. Around TV we would hardly ever need fuel.

JMintzer 10-26-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windguy (Post 2021588)
Gas pumps need electricity, too. How will you fill your car in a power outage?

Stick a hose in the storage tank and pump it manually...

merrymini 10-26-2021 08:21 AM

I am on my third Prius and would have bought a plug in if I could have found one. It gets about 51 miles to the gallon. Love it. I also own a Tesla 3 which I purchased last year, terrific car! An electric vehicle requires more planning but can be taken just about anywhere. Charging stations abound. The Tesla is in New Jersey and may have to sell it because I will be relocating here full time and do not have the garage for it. It may be the first time in my life that I will make money selling a used car! Do not believe the garbage you hear about the batteries. They said the same things about the Prius when it first came out and all the stories were untrue.

NotGolfer 10-26-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windguy (Post 2021588)
Gas pumps need electricity, too. How will you fill your car in a power outage?

Which is why "they" probably tell people to make sure their cars are full before big storms.

Blackbird45 10-26-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richs631 (Post 2021565)
I’m 59, so in my lifetime no. Any moderate to long distance trip is out of the question and the last time I looked there’s not many public charging station and if there are count on 10 hours to fully charge. Not many qualified mechanics. Even with minimal driving with golf carts most people prefer a gas cart

I will become 76 before the end of the year and I'm no longer in love with driving. I had an appointment in Gainesville last week and more or less I was a passenger. I put the car on cruse control not only it maintains the speed and keeps the car in a safe distance from other cars, but also has lane assist. I did have to put my hands on the wheel every now and then because I would get a warning on my dashboard to do so. As far as golf carts I prefer gas, but EVs will take over sooner than you think and there will be more charging stations and more qualified mechanics. You should go onto Youtube and check out what's coming out in the next couple of years. As far as lifetime you've got a better change of seeing full self driving EVs before I will.

DeanFL 10-26-2021 08:31 AM

We loved our 2010 Prius. Not a huge fan of the styling or the minimalist interior (altho we got the top-line model 5). Loved the stealth mode and silent running - unless the engine is on and taxed for extra power. Extremely reliable too.

Replaced 4 years ago with a new Mercedes, nice but not a hybrid. Would definitely get a hybrid next, but there will be no 'next'. The amount of driving we do and other factors = the MB is our last car.