Electric stove tops...need advice

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Default Electric stove tops...need advice

We are looking at buying a House in the villages. I haven’t cooked with electric in the last 35 years. I remember it seemed like it took forever for the burner to heat up, and then when I wanted to lower it, the heat wouldn’t go down fast enough. Are the new electric stove tops significantly improved? I see fast boil settings, do those work? If you moved from has to electric, what were the pluses and minuses. Any advice on the features I should insist on in an electric stove top?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM

We also used gas for many years prior to moving here. An option we took advantage of which my be available to you depending upon the village is called propane in ground (PIG). Several of our neighbors here in the Village of Hemingway have them. We have ours connected to our gas range in the kitchen plus a grill and a smoker outside. It is refilled periodically and our monthly "budget" bill is $25 per month and we usually get to skip a month or two during the year because of excess credit balance. Don't recall the installation/set-up cost but Suburban Propane took care of all of the permits and installation.

Now hopefully someone will provide an answer to your real question about electric cook tops.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

You may want to look at Induction type cook tops, from what i have read, these mimic gas ranges, and they heat the PAN, however, your cookware must be rated for this type of range, also these tend to be more costly. I am looking at possibly getting one when our existing electric range dies. I love gas cooking....
Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 PM

I’ve been cooking on an induction cooktop for the past 25 years......yes, 25 years. I love it! I can’t wait to replace my stove in TV with one. IMO induction is far better than gas. You can place a paper towel between your pan and the burner, and only the pot and contents will heat; the paper towel will not burn. The burner shuts off automatically when a pan is removed. Water boils in seconds and returns to boiling immediately after food is added. Yes, you need special pots that are magnetic. I bought most of mine at TJMaxx and Sam’s Club. You can’t go wrong with induction cooking. And oh.......did I say I love it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Electric heats quickly and cools down slowly. You can take your pot off the burner to cool it down. It is just heat, and you can adjust your self to it. I also clean our glass cook top with a Brillo pad. It is impervious to almost anything.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:31 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Electric heats quickly and cools down slowly. You can take your pot off the burner to cool it down. It is just heat, and you can adjust your self to it. I also clean our glass cook top with a Brillo pad. It is impervious to almost anything.

Agree.

Technology has changed from 35 years ago.

Go for it.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Having had a gas cooktop and now electric, I find the food tastes the same to me
Old 05-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I love my magnetic induction range. Just as others have said...it is almost like gas cooking.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage

We have electric and it's changed from years ago. Back then I didn't care for gas...the tops were hard to clean and also messy. I think that's changed however. It all depends on what you favor...I like electric.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

All things equal, since I'm the cook (but NOT bottlewasher) in the family, I would certainly prefer a gas cooktop. But only standard choice when building here was electric. We have a Samsung unit with glass cooktop. It heats up very quickly and has lots of features - the quickness of 'heating up' depends upon the type of pan; a thicker bottom takes longer. But all in all, pleased, and it works just fine.

Again would prefer gas/propane, but.

Oh yeah, even with the electric top, sometimes after meal prep I get gas anyway.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
We are looking at buying a House in the villages. I haven’t cooked with electric in the last 35 years. I remember it seemed like it took forever for the burner to heat up, and then when I wanted to lower it, the heat wouldn’t go down fast enough. Are the new electric stove tops significantly improved? I see fast boil settings, do those work? If you moved from has to electric, what were the pluses and minuses. Any advice on the features I should insist on in an electric stove top?
Background-I like to cook but hate to clean up so I,"let," my wife clean up. Perhaps the reaso I am not allowed to cook very often.

I grew up in a home with the old open coil electric stove had only low medium and high-late 1960's. When we bought our previous home we had a gas stove. Now our villages home does not have gas so we have the glass top electric stove and a double oven.

Given a choice, I vastly prefer our previous gas stove. While our current electric stove is not the old low medium and high type, it is continuously steplessly variable. You cannot see the gas flame to judge the heat and they way it gets less than full heat is to cycle on and off. Even with good heavy pots, it tends to burn your food. You can, I have, learned to deal with it. I would still vote for gas cooking, if we had the option.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

Gas stove... no comparison! I have a Bosch stove at the moment, what a dream, totally consistent reliable oven settings, flames on top are super adjustable and middle burner has a very very hot flame. It is such a pleasure to cook with this stove. And I love to make great food. Very easy to clean up, everything comes off and goes into dish washer too.
My past electric stove was ... meh... wouldn't get hot enough to wok vegetables even. Almost had induction stove once but chickened out.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Sage

Aside from the stove aspect, a house with natural gas is perfect if you feel the need for a standby generator
Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

I have used both gas and electric. Electric still takes time to cool down so you must always have a place to put the pot if you want the heat to stop immediately. A boil over can be a problem if all your burners are in use. Must always have a trivet on the counter to handle that sort of thing. I prefer to see the flame to make adjustments to the heat.

Love cooking with gas and am so glad our current home has natural gas.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM

I neglected to mention that when cooking on an induction stove/cooktop, if your food starts to boil over, there’s no need to remove the pot from the burner. Simply touch the off button. Induction is instant on and instant off. The burner does not get hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, stove, heat, fast, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.