Electric stove tops...need advice

Electric stove tops...need advice

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

My opinion
Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM

Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
We are looking at buying a House in the villages. I haven’t cooked with electric in the last 35 years. I remember it seemed like it took forever for the burner to heat up, and then when I wanted to lower it, the heat wouldn’t go down fast enough. Are the new electric stove tops significantly improved? I see fast boil settings, do those work? If you moved from has to electric, what were the pluses and minuses. Any advice on the features I should insist on in an electric stove top?
Background-I like to cook but hate to clean up so I,"let," my wife clean up. Perhaps the reaso I am not allowed to cook very often.

I grew up in a home with the old open coil electric stove had only low medium and high-late 1960's. When we bought our previous home we had a gas stove. Now our villages home does not have gas so we have the glass top electric stove and a double oven.

Given a choice, I vastly prefer our previous gas stove. While our current electric stove is not the old low medium and high type, it is continuously steplessly variable. You cannot see the gas flame to judge the heat and they way it gets less than full heat is to cycle on and off. Even with good heavy pots, it tends to burn your food. You can, I have, learned to deal with it. I would still vote for gas cooking, if we had the option.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Gas stove... no comparison! I have a Bosch stove at the moment, what a dream, totally consistent reliable oven settings, flames on top are super adjustable and middle burner has a very very hot flame. It is such a pleasure to cook with this stove. And I love to make great food. Very easy to clean up, everything comes off and goes into dish washer too.
My past electric stove was ... meh... wouldn't get hot enough to wok vegetables even. Almost had induction stove once but chickened out.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Sage

Aside from the stove aspect, a house with natural gas is perfect if you feel the need for a standby generator
Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Gold member

I have used both gas and electric. Electric still takes time to cool down so you must always have a place to put the pot if you want the heat to stop immediately. A boil over can be a problem if all your burners are in use. Must always have a trivet on the counter to handle that sort of thing. I prefer to see the flame to make adjustments to the heat.

Love cooking with gas and am so glad our current home has natural gas.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM

I neglected to mention that when cooking on an induction stove/cooktop, if your food starts to boil over, there’s no need to remove the pot from the burner. Simply touch the off button. Induction is instant on and instant off. The burner does not get hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

To answer the actual question: no, things haven't improved much since the advent of the flat-top electric stove. The glass itself is sturdier than it was, but when it turns off, it still takes forever to cool down. Edited to add: The "quick boil" feature, I haven't noticed any difference.

We have one up north and I hate it. I grew up with a gas stove/oven, and our first home in a condo was a gas stove-oven. Our current home is electric. I hate not having a pilot light, and I hate not being able to just lower the heat and -instantly- have the water stop boiling.

I tolerate electric ovens and ranges. I don't feel that I will ever actually like them.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 AM

One of the first things we did in our new house here was...put in a propane tank and buy a GAS top stove! Electric ranges are for people that don't really cook (IMHO)!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

We have an electric cooktop, seems to work ok.....................but we rarely use it.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:18 AM

There are gas lines in the northern part of The Villages - my house in Santiago has gas heat, and there’s a gas line to the stove. I believe there’s gas in some of the new construction down south as well.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
One of the first things we did in our new house here was...put in a propane tank and buy a GAS top stove! Electric ranges are for people that don't really cook (IMHO)!
Our house is all electric and I cook a lot. No, I don't like having electric but food tastes just as good, it's just harder to do. The houses built here pre-2008 have gas lines in the attic and that is one more thing to rattle the nerves when there are thunderstorms, like right now.

Tags
electric, stove, heat, fast, advice