Electric stove tops...need advice

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,464 Times in 3,090 Posts

To answer the actual question: no, things haven't improved much since the advent of the flat-top electric stove. The glass itself is sturdier than it was, but when it turns off, it still takes forever to cool down. Edited to add: The "quick boil" feature, I haven't noticed any difference.

We have one up north and I hate it. I grew up with a gas stove/oven, and our first home in a condo was a gas stove-oven. Our current home is electric. I hate not having a pilot light, and I hate not being able to just lower the heat and -instantly- have the water stop boiling.

I tolerate electric ovens and ranges. I don't feel that I will ever actually like them.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 AM

One of the first things we did in our new house here was...put in a propane tank and buy a GAS top stove! Electric ranges are for people that don't really cook (IMHO)!
Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

We have an electric cooktop, seems to work ok.....................but we rarely use it.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:18 AM

There are gas lines in the northern part of The Villages - my house in Santiago has gas heat, and there’s a gas line to the stove. I believe there’s gas in some of the new construction down south as well.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
One of the first things we did in our new house here was...put in a propane tank and buy a GAS top stove! Electric ranges are for people that don't really cook (IMHO)!
Our house is all electric and I cook a lot. No, I don't like having electric but food tastes just as good, it's just harder to do. The houses built here pre-2008 have gas lines in the attic and that is one more thing to rattle the nerves when there are thunderstorms, like right now.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Our house is all electric and I cook a lot. No, I don't like having electric but food tastes just as good, it's just harder to do. The houses built here pre-2008 have gas lines in the attic and that is one more thing to rattle the nerves when there are thunderstorms, like right now.
I forgot about those gas lines in the attic. I think there is a fix for that now. They were to code at the time, but maybe not now. So maybe the gas homes south of 44 have a different configuration. Not sure.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

This may be a silly question but why are gas lines dangerous in the attic during a thunder storm? I never gave them a thought during thunder storms.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Induction is fantastic
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 AM

Induction is the best alternative to gas in my opinion. Way cheaper after you buy the range as there is no wasted energy (heat) and it's way safer. If you're not sure, buy a portable induction burner, they use them in food prep at stores like Sams. They cost under $100 and are fun to use although they tend to be noisy with a built in fan. Our KitchenAid range is super quiet. I keep the portable for those times I might need a 5th burner or to place by my grill on the Lanai for extra stuff. Induction is very popular in Europe where energy costs are so hi and there is no gas.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Induction is the best alternative to gas in my opinion. Way cheaper after you buy the range as there is no wasted energy (heat) and it's way safer. If you're not sure, buy a portable induction burner, they use them in food prep at stores like Sams. They cost under $100 and are fun to use although they tend to be noisy with a built in fan. Our KitchenAid range is super quiet. I keep the portable for those times I might need a 5th burner or to place by my grill on the Lanai for extra stuff. Induction is very popular in Europe where energy costs are so hi and there is no gas.

I know induction ranges are reportedly terrific but I was wondering how long you have had yours?

What I have read is that as great as they are, induction ranges are prone to repair issues. I was also told it was a good idea to buy a service contract because of the possibility of problems.

Who is the manufacturer of your range? Have you had any problems with yours?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This may be a silly question but why are gas lines dangerous in the attic during a thunder storm? I never gave them a thought during thunder storms.

We have lightning rods on our house because of this.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Have had induction for 10 yrs here in The Villages and 12 yrs prior in TX. When remodeling in TX did a lot of research on keeping gas or going with induction. Induction won hands down. More efficient than gas, more control than gas and a thousand times easier to clean up. We have had no issues. Also went with convection oven and love the options it provides. We very rarely eat out and the cooktop and stove get a work out. Cookware not that big a problem.
Both appliances are GE.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage

Yes, if we change it will be to induction.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 PM

I have a gas water heater, and a white glass top electric stove that needs cleaning after every use, who does that? Interested in a gas induction stove, in the near future..Which one is top rated, recommended ? Q. WWG1WGA! : )
Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
I have a gas water heater, and a white glass top electric stove that needs cleaning after every use, who does that? Interested in a gas induction stove, in the near future..Which one is top rated, recommended ? Q. WWG1WGA! : )
What is a gas induction stove?
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, stove, heat, fast, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.