Electrical Wiring Question

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Default Electrical Wiring Question

Having recently moved here from Europe, we have a few small kitchen appliances that are 220 volt (standard voltage for almost everything in Europe) which we would like to continue utilizing. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding whether a standard 110 volt wall receptacle can be re-wired for 220 volts? Or does a completely new wall plug have to constructed into the wall.
I know little about this but I think 220 volt is the voltage provided to every home in the USA and it is halved to become 110 volt because of the plug / fusebox wiring configuration.
Can anyone provide an opinion or proper any suggestions on how to resolve our dilemma.
Thanks in advance, BJ
Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Johnson View Post
Having recently moved here from Europe, we have a few small kitchen appliances that are 220 volt (standard voltage for almost everything in Europe) which we would like to continue utilizing. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding whether a standard 110 volt wall receptacle can be re-wired for 220 volts? Or does a completely new wall plug have to constructed into the wall.
I know little about this but I think 220 volt is the voltage provided to every home in the USA and it is halved to become 110 volt because of the plug / fusebox wiring configuration.
Can anyone provide an opinion or proper any suggestions on how to resolve our dilemma.
Thanks in advance, BJ
call Pike Electric.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Gold member

It's not that simple to just change a socket to get the required voltage. In Europe it's easier to step down to 110 with a converter but stepping up is a different situation. The only 220 lines coming in to the house are the main, ac, heat, stove, dryer and water heater usually. You would have to get an electrican to tap off one of those lines.
There may be converters available for that step up but if so I'm not aware of them. Some items these days are built for both voltages. Have you looked on the back of each unit to see if it mentions that? Usually a switch is present if so.
In reality, they're different!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Johnson View Post
Thanks in advance, BJ
It's not only the voltage that you need to be concerned with - check the frequency as well. Many parts of Europe supply AC power at 50 hz - the U.S. is at 60 hz. Light bulbs might function o.k. but electric motors might have an issue, for example.

By the time you buy converters or transformers, you might just be better off buying new made-for-the-U.S. appliances.

Bogie's suggestion is excellent - contact a qualified/licensed electrician.

Bill
Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 PM

It may be easier and less expensive to buy new kitchen appliance....
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistrucksforyou View Post
It may be easier and less expensive to buy new kitchen appliance....
Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Another option is to check the internet for some step down transformers. One location is:
http://www.220-electronics.com/Trans...amond-voltage- converter.htm

I've never tried this option, but it appears affordable for just a few appliances.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Sorry, the correct website is:
Voltage converter | Voltage Transformer | step up and step down | 110 volts 220 230 240 volts | Buying guide resources & instructions
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Did check out the voltage converters, while they are relatively inexpensive ( around $100 for the wattage needed), hate the look of this big box sitting around. As far as the 50/60 hrz thing, timers run slower or faster but the motor function should not be noticable.
Real problem, in terms of cost, our favorite appliance, which we hate to pay $599. internet price (110 volts) for is our coffee maker. Thanks for all the suggestions, however. The electrition / new line idea might be worth a go, or because the coffee maker is several years old maybe we just bite the bullet and purchase a new one. Thanks again. - BJ
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Gold member

I had a 220 plug installed for a window AC some time ago. The electrician installed a new breaker in the power panel and ran a separate line to the outlet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.