Electronic Check-in at Rec and Golf Venues

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Electronic Check-in at Rec and Golf Venues

I have an image of my resident ID card on my phone. Be nice if I could use it to verify residence at Rec Centers and Exec Courses. Then I wouldn't have to carry any cards, or a wallet either.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
I have an image of my resident ID card on my phone. Be nice if I could use it to verify residence at Rec Centers and Exec Courses. Then I wouldn't have to carry any cards, or a wallet either.
Have you ever tried to use it?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Considering how poorly the readers read our card as it is, I sincerely doubt a cellphone pic would work at all.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-22-2015, 07:53 PM

My neighbor tried to use an image of her ID card that she had on her IPhone at Yankee Clipper last Friday when we golfed and was told that they wouldn't accept an electronic image. So it doesn't appear that they are not equipped to deal with electronic images as yet.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoInTV View Post
My neighbor tried to use an image of her ID card that she had on her IPhone at Yankee Clipper last Friday when we golfed and was told that they wouldn't accept an electronic image. So it doesn't appear that they are not equipped to deal with electronic images as yet.
Sounds like their course, their rules.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:01 AM
Sage

Employees are instructed to accept original cards only. No images/reproductions of any kind. Can you imagine the abuse if copies were allowed ?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Or you could take your wallet and leave your phone at home....
Old 03-23-2015, 07:24 AM

We took the "Good Golf" class or whatever it's called. They were very emphatic that phone images of your i.d. card would NOT be accepted at any of the golf courses. Only the actual card.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts
Default Who owns the Executive Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Sounds like their course, their rules.
Residents I thought owned or will own the executive courses. Of course, they are managed by a management company. TV is a bit behind on using technology.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
TV is a bit behind on using technology.
So are the majority of residents. It's probably not worth their time and expense to upgrade when so few would be capable of using it.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

They won't [or can't] accept the an electronic version of your card because there are so many folks that try to abuse the system.

I could doctor up an ID in 5 minutes to be used by someone other than the owner...it's easy to do. ..and has been done and the person(s) caught.

It would be nice if The Villages would develop an app for smartphones that would produce a legit, unmodifiable, ID card for us to use. In fact, it would be nice if that card would also function like the cards on a cruise ship; where you could get billed every month for your golfing expenses and then pay once with your credit card of choice.

Maybe I'll suggest that on the survey....
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Unhappy

The Recreation Centers were still using DOS system for computer year and a half ago. Really need to get with it electronically. Would save time and aggravation at time of check ins.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
They won't [or can't] accept the an electronic version of your card because there are so many folks that try to abuse the system.

I could doctor up an ID in 5 minutes to be used by someone other than the owner...it's easy to do. ..and has been done and the person(s) caught.

It would be nice if The Villages would develop an app for smartphones that would produce a legit, unmodifiable, ID card for us to use. In fact, it would be nice if that card would also function like the cards on a cruise ship; where you could get billed every month for your golfing expenses and then pay once with your credit card of choice.

Maybe I'll suggest that on the survey....

You can, but I am dubious about getting results on this one. I have noticed from day one that one of the few areas that The Morse bunch is a little behind is in this area, BUT...I often think what they have learned by interviewing and using the best civic planners and the best engineers and the best road planners and landscapers and builders and decorators and when they realized something wasn't working they made it better as they grew. I THINK they demanded and got the best and had it written in all contracts that if it needed fixing that company was on the hook. I THINK they demanded and got loyalty from the people that worked for them and if they hired crooks to work for them, it was their neck. I THINK they just aren't as savvy about electronics and they haven't found the right person who they can trust and hire and who knows how to do this stuff, right.. If you were an underhanded person and you were given this responsibility, imagine how you could profit or screw up.

I will wait. They'll get there.

No. I don't work for them.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

People depend on their phones way too much. Could you imagine going to check in for golf and the person in front of you going through their phone trying to find their ID. I can see that happening a lot. Keep it simple. Now if we all had a chip embedded in us like a pet..........
Old 03-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You can, but I am dubious about getting results on this one. I have noticed from day one that one of the few areas that The Morse bunch is a little behind is in this area, BUT...I often think what they have learned by interviewing and using the best civic planners and the best engineers and the best road planners and landscapers and builders and decorators and when they realized something wasn't working they made it better as they grew. I THINK they demanded and got the best and had it written in all contracts that if it needed fixing that company was on the hook. I THINK they demanded and got loyalty from the people that worked for them and if they hired crooks to work for them, it was their neck. I THINK they just aren't as savvy about electronics and they haven't found the right person who they can trust and hire and who knows how to do this stuff, right.. If you were an underhanded person and you were given this responsibility, imagine how you could profit or screw up.

I will wait. They'll get there.

No. I don't work for them.
I very much doubt that they are not savvy about electronics.

I believe that there too many ways to cheat with picture ID cards. What is wrong with carrying your ID card? If you want to carry a phone, slip the ID card into the carrying case.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.