Revoked Driver Licenses

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Eternal Member
Default Revoked Driver Licenses

I just read in the Daily Sun that yet another person was arrested after an accident for driving with no license because his was revoked (in 1997). The man is now age 37. He had been convicted of manslaughter with a car at that time. Assuming he had some prison time served and then released but still with no driver license - how is he ever expected to find and hold a job without a license?

Chances are that he has been driving ever since getting out of prison and just got caught because of the accident.

Wouldn't some sort of supervised provisional license be better for this person or persons like this so they could legally drive, hold a job, but still be under some supervision for drug and alcohol testing or psychlogical testing on a periodic basis?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Driver licenses are revoked for many reasons, not all of which have anything to do with driving. Never made sense to me to pull the license for someone who isn't paying child support because they're unemployed. That will certainly help them find a job.

To me, a license should be pulled if you are convicted of driving while under the influence whether alcohol, an illegal drug or a legal drug. Do your rehab and get a limited license (work, school, etc.) for six months with a mandatory weekly drug test. If you stay clean, then full driving privileges. Second offense, one year limited license . Third offense, book em Danno.

Other offenses, have the driver pay fines, weekends in jail, community service but don't yank the one thing they need to basically survive. So, guess I'm on the same page as you except for substance abuse issues.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I just read in the Daily Sun that yet another person was arrested after an accident for driving with no license because his was revoked (in 1997). The man is now age 37. He had been convicted of manslaughter with a car at that time. Assuming he had some prison time served and then released but still with no driver license - how is he ever expected to find and hold a job without a license?

Chances are that he has been driving ever since getting out of prison and just got caught because of the accident.

Wouldn't some sort of supervised provisional license be better for this person or persons like this so they could legally drive, hold a job, but still be under some supervision for drug and alcohol testing or psychlogical testing on a periodic basis?

I don't know the answer, but I will ask my friend, Woody. Woody has been blind since 1985 and goes to work every day.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Eternal Member

I also had a blind co-worker and he took the Wash. DC Metro to work. Maybe Woody had a special transportation network for disabled persons?

However, in Oxford, Florida, that doesn't work. No public transportation system.
Maybe no family to provide transportation. How does that person do anything such as work, shop, etc?

The ideas suggested by Redwitch and myself sound very reasonable, don't they?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Yes, they do, but to tell the truth, my days of worrying about how to right all the wrongs are far behind me. My apathy has outfought my empathy.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I hope it doesn't go unnoticed that this poor fellow who drives with a revoked license did kill a human being. I surely don't know the facts of the case, but for a judge to revoke his license for such a long time period leads me to believe negligence at least, and drugs and/or alcohol was involved. The victims family will never be whole again, my sympathies go out to them.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I hope it doesn't go unnoticed that this poor fellow who drives with a revoked license did kill a human being. I surely don't know the facts of the case, but for a judge to revoke his license for such a long time period leads me to believe negligence at least, and drugs and/or alcohol was involved. The victims family will never be whole again, my sympathies go out to them.
Of course there is a victim impact, no one is doubting that.

However, the question is how does a person - even an ex-con - get a job with no driver license?

Isn't the provisional license a good idea?

If you do not agree - what would you suggest? This is an open forum for discussion and ideas.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Of course there is a victim impact, no one is doubting that.

However, the question is how does a person - even an ex-con - get a job with no driver license?

Isn't the provisional license a good idea?

If you do not agree - what would you suggest? This is an open forum for discussion and ideas.
Maybe he could walk to work, just like the man who was recently on television that walked 10+ miles everyday for 10 years and never missed a day of work.

How far is it from Oxford to Walmart? Walmart hires workers.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Gold member

County social services often have volunteer drivers who take people to the unemployment office, hospitals/clinics, etc.

Either get volunteer drivers to take the guy to/from work, or see if big churches and charity groups with buses would run routes to pick up workers and take them.

I could also see having work-limited driving privileges WITH drug/alcohol testing or device on the wheel.

Many of our nation's problems are due to perverse or reverse incentives to NOT WORK.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

The fact that he continued to drive to me shows that he still has no regard for the law. I don't know what, if any steps were taken upon his release as to restitution, rehabilitation, work program, etc. I do know that he was driving when he was not licensed, and he was involved in another accident. In this particular case, this person should not be driving, period. Let him suffer a little by living near a workplace, walking to work, riding a bike, public transportation, a ride from a friend or co-worker. He has many options I believe.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I also had a blind co-worker and he took the Wash. DC Metro to work. Maybe Woody had a special transportation network for disabled persons?

However, in Oxford, Florida, that doesn't work. No public transportation system.
Maybe no family to provide transportation. How does that person do anything such as work, shop, etc?

Bicycle, walk? My grandmother who raised me was a no nonsense woman, with all the buts and supposes and excuses she had one response. "You burn your butt, you sit on the blister".
Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
My apathy has outfought my empathy.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Bicycle, walk? My grandmother who raised me was a no nonsense woman, with all the buts and supposes and excuses she had one response. "You burn your butt, you sit on the blister".
I'm stealing that.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I like that logic, Gracie.

How about this for a novel idea...don't let him out of jail until he's truly worked off his debt to society, including the payment of restitution to his victim's family. Oh, excuse me, but it's "cruel and unusual punishment" to make inmates work. How insensitive of me! Perhaps if they were forced to work for their daily bread like law-abiding citizens, our penal system wouldn't produce so many recidivists. There are more excuses for why an unmotivated person can't hold a job...but if a blind person, or a young mother working two jobs to support her kids, or our military personnel coming home from war with missing body parts, can get out of bed each day to go to work, so can this poor excuse for a human being (heaven forbid he has to walk or ride a bicycle). Maybe the taxpayers' generosity makes it too attractive for him to not do so.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
In most states the penalties for a Vehicular Manslaughter include permanent revocation of their driver's license.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.