Email from Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Default Email from Comcast

Below is the content of an email I received from Comcast this morning.

XFINITY

Hold on tight. We've increased
your Internet speed.

We're on a mission to improve your experience, and that means
making sure you have the Internet speeds you need to save time
and do more of what you love. That's why we've increased
your speed from 25 Mbps to 60 Mbps at no extra cost to you.

So, go ahead – simply restart your modem to enjoy
your new speed.

I rebooted my modem as instructed and I now have 60Mbps download speed - upload is still 6Mbps.

What to expect next???
Old 11-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post

XFINITY

Hold on tight. We've increased
your Internet speed.

We're on a mission to improve your experience, and that means
making sure you have the Internet speeds you need to save time
and do more of what you love. That's why we've increased
your speed from 25 Mbps to 60 Mbps at no extra cost to you.

So, go ahead – simply restart your modem to enjoy
your new speed.

I rebooted my modem as instructed and I now have 60Mbps download speed - upload is still 6Mbps.

What to expect next???
Next they will limit your monthly downloads to x gigabytes included with your plan.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:00 PM
fw102807

They seem to be working very hard to change their reputation for being the worst customer service in the industry. We just switched from CenturyLink and are enjoying faster speeds. We hated Comcast up north but found CenturyLink to be even worse.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

They sent me a new modem self install plus a shipping label to return old one..No Charge internet and streaming has never been so fast
7 years satisfied customer..
If your rate starts to creep up and they all do, just ask for customer loyalty discount

Just checked 90.2 downloand

Last edited by karostay; 11-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
They sent me a new modem self install plus a shipping label to return old one..No Charge internet and streaming has never been so fast
7 years satisfied customer..
If your rate starts to creep up and they all do, just ask for customer loyalty discount
Me too. Just installed today. Speed difference remains to be seen.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Platinum member

The Comcast/Xfinity cable modem is a dual-band WiFi router offering 2.4 and 5 MHz Network connections. As I understand it, the 2.4 band is supposed to offer the greatest area of coverage but the 5 MHz band usually offers the highest WiFi connection speed. I found the 5 MHz band was consistently so much faster that I had my IPad “forget” the 2.4 Network.

On the other hand my 7 year old PC only connects to my WiFi Network at 2.4 MHz. So I’m thinking of replacing the Network interface card.

I mention this because my iPad would sometimes arbitrarily switch networks with a dramatic drop in speed i.e. 90 mbps to 12 mbps. Hopefully this explanation will make sense to anyone who is familiar with the steps for joining your wireless network.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm happy things are working out for many of you that is just great. Based on past history let's talk again in 90 days. I really hope it stays good for you.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post

XFINITY
Hold on tight. We've increased your Internet speed.
We're on a mission to improve your experience, and that means making sure you have the Internet speeds you need to save time and do more of what you love. That's why we've increased your speed from 25 Mbps to 60 Mbps at no extra cost to you.
So, go ahead – simply restart your modem to enjoy your new speed.

What to expect next???
OK, so what is your cost? Do you have the Performance package? Is it priced at $66.95/month - regular price, not "introductory" price?

I have Performance Starter at $49.95. It is still 10 Mbps. I wish they would raise its speed, too.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
OK, so what is your cost? Do you have the Performance package? Is it priced at $66.95/month - regular price, not "introductory" price?

I have Performance Starter at $49.95. It is still 10 Mbps. I wish they would raise its speed, too.
We have the performance tier that’s bundled with a basic cable package for $49.95 on a promotion so we also received the boost. I don’t even have the cable box hooked up as we use DirecTV NOW streaming. It was just cheaper to go with their bundle.

Each year as the various promotions expire I call right in to their retention department and get moved to a new one.

FYI I believe you should at least be going from 10 mbps to 25 now.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Default Comcast Xfinity speed

How can I find the speed of my internet?? I have Xfinity with extreme 150 internet, whatever that means. Sometimes I have problems streaming Netflix on my HD TV. Netflix support said my internet was not consistently running at a high enough speed which caused the program to drop.

Is there a way to check the speed? Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas View Post
How can I find the speed of my internet?? I have Xfinity with extreme 150 internet, whatever that means. Sometimes I have problems streaming Netflix on my HD TV. Netflix support said my internet was not consistently running at a high enough speed which caused the program to drop.

Try this...

XFINITY Speed Test
Old 11-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Try this...

XFINITY Speed Test
This is the first time I have tried this page for a test. I found it to be terribly inaccurate compared the the page many people use - one one I have used for many years: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Old 11-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Yes, Speedtest by Ookla is the standard. That considered, when I was in Indiana 2 years ago, Comcast had the worst reputation ever. The college students in town just absolutely hated them, and most of the general public switched to local providers - poor speeds, frequent outages, miserable customer service.
Fast forward to The Villages - have used Comcast here for the past 23 months. Amazing speeds (100+mbps download, 23-25+mbps upload), nearly NO downtime, apps that self-diagnose issues and solve them - plus, called customer service twice, had amazing, friendly service. I don't know if it's the location or a re-commitment to customer service - but as an IT guy, they've got my vote!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Try this...

XFINITY Speed Test
Very helpful. Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas View Post

Wow you should never have any trouble streaming Netflix if you’re on the Extrene 150 plan. Heck I used to only have 15 mbps at one point and rarely had any trouble.

It’s not really any of my business, but I hope they’re didn’t talk you into paying for that high of tier if you don’t need it. Mostly kids playing video games or people streaming from like 5 devices at once need that speed.

But hey, if it came as part of a bundle and it fits your budget, that’s good too.
Closed Thread

Tags
speed, increased, internet, email, modem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.