Enclosing the lanaii...

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We are hoping to use the space as a place I can use my paints on a surface that can be wiped up, and use it with a pull out bed when the family comes and continue to use it as an outdoor space with the sliders open.

I understand your view, and hope we find it useful.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

I’ve seen it done to make a family room in addition to the living room. Some are done really nicely, so it looks like it was always there. I’m not interested in doing that to my house, but I have seen it done well.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you have pictures and want to share, I would love to see them. We signed to have ours enclosed this week but still have a birdcage. I am glad you are enjoying yours. We have kicked the idea around for eight years and recently saw a neighbors enclosed that was so welcoming and comfortable.
I'm not much on posting pics but I am sure you will find your Lanai to be more comfortable and more user friendly. Not only are you keeping out the rain, but also the wind and pollen. I put indoor/outdoor carpet in mine and very happy.
When you enclose a Lanai, you're not loosing anything, you're gaining more usable space.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:29 AM

I sit in my enclosed lanai when it's cold, raining, windy etc. During the hurricane I sat out there and watched TV. If I want fresh air, I open the sliders all the way and sit outside in the caged area.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

We have a birdcage on one end of the lanai and a patio on the other. When we did the enclosure of the Lanai it expanded the open feel of the house, provided more conversation areas, gave us better views outside and is weather flexible. As those that don't enclose don't get it, I don't get not doing it.....all a matter of what works for you.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Have you who have enclosed your lanai kept the same outdoor furniture? Or did you use more indoor type furniture? Did you hang insulated curtains? What one thing you did, that you are really pleased with in your new space???
Old 03-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

I kept the same patio furniture. I don't think regular in house furniture would look right in a Lanai. But that,s just my opinion.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Depends on the enclosure....since we tiled the floor to match, have a knee wall (wired with outlets), sliding windows, sliding doors to the birdcage the room actually becomes a room, not a lanai in the true sense of the word. Therefore, we furnished with furniture though more in line with a casual, Florida colors, feel.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Different counties have different rules. They can change, even if you talk to someone who was well versed in their county rules when they enclosed. So call your county. (Marion is especially strict, but all have strict rules).

It is important to go with high quality windows - triple glazed to keep out heat from the sun - you will not be able to add air-conditioning to your lanai without either high cost, or increasing your taxes, or both. On the other hand, its possible a very large lanai will need air. (Mine is only about 100 square feet). Your contractor can advise you. My heat and air bills barely changed when I opened up this area (sliding doors stay open at all times).

I used Chill Outback and was thrilled with the work and service. The price was great for the very good quality I got. The Chill Outback design person (no extra charge) planned some very beautiful windows, and not the typical 3-4 foot wide windows you see on most lanais. I have a nice pond behind my home and want to enjoy the view. But if you do not want picture windows, they can do the standard width for a lower price. They cater to what you want.

Why enclose? I find outdoor temperatures unpleasant at least 9 months of the year (too hot, too cold) and I want to enjoy the lovely space with lots of light from windows year-round. I have a patio and can put of screens, etc. if I ever want to (but I do not). Also, dirt comes through the screens, so there is constant cleaning of the "screened-in porch" (old Florida term for this room when I grew up here).
Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ and our beautiful house in The Village of Hillsborough

When the original HVAC is installed, it is based on the square footage of the house. To think that this unit will take care of a now enclosed lanai is not reasonable. It might cool and heat the enclosed lanai, but the HVAC unit will be overworking.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM

To be able to enjoy the space year round and to keep the rain and dirt out. We love ours enclosed because we enjoy sitting out there quite a lot and still feeling that we are out in the good old outdoors.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

The different counties have different rules for what constitutes a taxable area. That said, I have had two homes here and have enclosed both lanais. I have just finished enclosing this one and it is fantastic. I used simple sliding windows completely around it, with a hip wall. A full glass door allows access to the outside patio. I added electrical receptacles under the windows to allow for more access to electric power. I covered the floor and walls to make it appear as an interior room. I also installed a split AC unit for climate control. My wife can use it as a place where the neighborhood ladies can play cards. I use it every morning to enjoy the climate controlled area to view our landscaping and plan modifications or additions to the rear garden. I also like to sit out there and read. On cool mornings I open the windows to allow cool, fresh air inside. Some folks use the area for hobbies, such as painting. It is a nice retreat for a bit of privacy if the spouse is watching a TV program that you are not interested in, or visa versa.
Some counties say that if you use glass windows, you have to pay taxes on the space and if you use plastic you don't. Some say that if you have climate control you have to pay. I raised my floor in my other home and was told I was OK as long as I did not remove the slider door to the bedroom. Like someone else said, it is best to get the latest ruling on what constitutes a taxable area. I understand that the criteria has changed recently in Sumter county.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Hi do you have a phone number for Chill Outback? I couldn't find it. Thanks
Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Smile Different Viewing Preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Don't you have a living room? I don't get it either.
Even though the lanai is next to the aforementioned living room, if the triple sliders are closed there is reasonable sound separation. I can watch football to my hearts content and she can watch any kind of movie or serial with blood, guts and vampires. Having two comfortable rooms with a TV is great -
Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Not to be rude, but I don't understand why anyone would want to enclose an outdoor, screened, roofed(?) area. Sorry. I just don't get it.

And by the way, is it "ruff" as in a dog's bark, "roof" as compared to "book," or "rouf" as in "proof?"
We enclosed ours because our lanai faced north .... too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. We not only enclosed the existing lanai we had a builder enlarge it and make it a year round usable room which is now our main living space and has added enormously to the value of our home.

I should add that the open lanai was always dirty and if it rained it got wet and it was a haven for geckos and it was becoming a catch all for my gardening tools ............... it was a no brainer to make it a year round room.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 04-06-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
raising, enclosing, lanaii, acrylic, glass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.