Enclosing the lanaii...

Enclosing the lanaii...

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Enclosing the lanaii...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Default Enclosing the lanaii...

We are kicking around the idea of enclosing our lanaii. I have a question that I have heard many answers to.... What constitutes increasing your square footage and therefore raising your taxes?? Raising your floor? Removing your sliders? Running duct work from your existing HVAC? Glass windows instead of acrylic? Any and/or all? And if we decide to do it, is there a good contractor to do everything at a reasonable cost? Thanks everyone for you help!!

Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Sage

We enclosed our Lanai 4 years ago.....raised the floor and tiled to match the rest of the house, knee stucco wall with glass UV sliders all the way around, increased insulation in the ceiling. When we talked to the County they said removing the sliders would make the space part of the house and would constitute an addition. No tax increase leaving them on. The candid part of the conversation was that even if you take them off, the additional tax, in the scheme of things, would be insignificant. We didn't heat or AC and it hasn't been an issue, the sliders are left open all day but that decision should only be made based on your individual body thermostat. To get the current and correct information call or visit the County since they make the rules and assess the taxes. We used T&D based on their Villages experience and connection and knowledge of the County government. There are a lot of vendors who do the work, make sure you investigate them with Seniors Against Crime in addition to getting a long reference list with phone numbers and addresses so you can see what they do.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Sage

Call Sumpter County building department, or stop by, Pinellas Plaza, the copper topped building and ask the experts.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:12 AM
Sage

Hey Tink, there's no pee in Sumter.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

I pee in Sumter every day.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Call Sumpter County building department, or stop by, Pinellas Plaza, the copper topped building and ask the experts.
I love spell check........I saw it right after I hit send.....Let's mark it up to old age.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Gold member

Location: Bridgeport CT; Boston, Winthrop, Dorchester, Canton, Provincetown MA; The Village of Hadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset seeker View Post
We are kicking around the idea of enclosing our lanaii. I have a question that I have heard many answers to.... What constitutes increasing your square footage and therefore raising your taxes?? Raising your floor? Removing your sliders? Running duct work from your existing HVAC? Glass windows instead of acrylic? Any and/or all? And if we decide to do it, is there a good contractor to do everything at a reasonable cost? Thanks everyone for you help!!
Not to be rude, but I don't understand why anyone would want to enclose an outdoor, screened, roofed(?) area. Sorry. I just don't get it.

And by the way, is it "ruff" as in a dog's bark, "roof" as compared to "book," or "rouf" as in "proof?"
Old 03-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Not to be rude, but I don't understand why anyone would want to enclose an outdoor, screened, roofed(?) area. Sorry. I just don't get it.

And by the way, is it "ruff" as in a dog's bark, "roof" as compared to "book," or "rouf" as in "proof?"
Which is why you haven't done it.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Platinum member

That's an easy one. When it is nice out, we open the windows and it is just like before we enclosed the lanai. When it is cold or hot and humid we close the windows and the area is still usable. Our lanai is used everyday.

Quote:

Old 03-07-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Quote:

We enclosed ours to add 500sf to our home. We added 800sf lanai and added a birdcage. This is one reason why anyone might.

Tags
raising, enclosing, lanaii, acrylic, glass