Encounter at Walmart Pharmacy

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2021, 12:02 PM
Default Encounter at Walmart Pharmacy

Recently had a "prescription" filled as I do often for a 90 day supply of "Trelegy Inhaler" which administers single does (30) from each inhaler. I have been getting this inhaler for the last 2 years with no problem until this week

I had requested a 90 day supply ( 3 inhalers / 30 does each inhaler) as I have done many times before but now after going over to TRY and correct the problem was told I need to change prescription on "quanity" from 90 to 180 in order to get "3" inhalers.

I told the lady at counter (after calling I went over there) that I wanted THREE..... not ONE inhalers since I was getting it for 90 days and the fact that I had always gotten 3 at a time (90 day supply) every other time but she REFUSED to give me more than "one" even as I had called Dr back to again tell them I wanted 3 NOT ONE !!

She told me to call Dr back and request 180 in "quantity" instead of 90 which made absolutely no sense and until now have never had a problem getting it filled for 90 day period.

It ceases to amaze me as much as I argued with her how stupid this was and have since switched pharmacy's and will no longer get my prescriptions filled at Walmart. Also the fact that my wife was supposed to get 90 pills one time and got home and there were only 30.... but after returning they did make up the difference.

Just want people to be aware of watching what's going on as Walmart among other GIANT retailers are not to be taken for granted. I still cannot understand how I was told to change my "quantity" for 90 to 180 when there are only 90 individual does!!

Has common sense completely gone out the window?
Old 04-30-2021, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Were you dealing with a pharmacist? I would think they must have the ability to so simple math to become a pharmacist. You got someone who can not multiply 30 times 3. I would have asked to speak to a manager who can do simple math.

Which Walmart was this math challenged person working at?
Old 04-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Were you dealing with a pharmacist? I would think they must have the ability to so simple math to become a pharmacist. You got someone who can not multiply 30 times 3. I would have asked to speak to a manager who can do simple math.

Which Walmart was this math challenged person working at?
In the army they called them 90 day wonders. Now we get them from online schools; supposedly people ready to be a pharmaceutical assistant. Short stint of school on computer, no real contact with people. Good idea, not good in practice.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

yes, either that or a language barrier
Old 04-30-2021, 01:35 PM

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they have changed requirements on how rx just be written to get a 90 day supply? My pharmacy is really good about telling me exactly how it needs to be written. Did you speak to pharmacist and ask why?
Old 04-30-2021, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboViper View Post
Recently had a "prescription" filled as I do often for a 90 day supply of "Trelegy Inhaler" which administers single does (30) from each inhaler. I have been getting this inhaler for the last 2 years with no problem until this week

I had requested a 90 day supply ( 3 inhalers / 30 does each inhaler) as I have done many times before but now after going over to TRY and correct the problem was told I need to change prescription on "quanity" from 90 to 180 in order to get "3" inhalers.

I told the lady at counter (after calling I went over there) that I wanted THREE..... not ONE inhalers since I was getting it for 90 days and the fact that I had always gotten 3 at a time (90 day supply) every other time but she REFUSED to give me more than "one" even as I had called Dr back to again tell them I wanted 3 NOT ONE !!

She told me to call Dr back and request 180 in "quantity" instead of 90 which made absolutely no sense and until now have never had a problem getting it filled for 90 day period.

It ceases to amaze me as much as I argued with her how stupid this was and have since switched pharmacy's and will no longer get my prescriptions filled at Walmart. Also the fact that my wife was supposed to get 90 pills one time and got home and there were only 30.... but after returning they did make up the difference.

Just want people to be aware of watching what's going on as Walmart among other GIANT retailers are not to be taken for granted. I still cannot understand how I was told to change my "quantity" for 90 to 180 when there are only 90 individual does!!

Per the insurance companies, Trelegy Inhalers must be billed by the number of blisters per package (#60) not the number of doses per package (#30). Therefore a 90 day supply cannot be written as a quantity of 90 but must be written as a quantity of 180. Actually the prescriber can write a 90 day Rx for this one of 3 ways -

- dispense a 90 day supply
- dispense 3 inhalers, or
- dispense #180

By writing just #90 as the quantity, the pharmacist cannot dispense more than one inhaler at a time since even 2 inhalers would be equivalent to a quantity of #120, more than the quantity written.

I know this sounds ridiculous, most pharmacists and prescribers feel the same way, but unfortunately we are at the mercy of the insurance companies who pay us, so we have to abide by their way of doing things. If not, the option is an audit, which they certainly would do on a medication as expensive as Trelegy and every dime they paid to the pharmacy would be taken back.

I'm sorry you had to leave the pharmacy so frustrated. If I had been working there, my general practice would have been to offer to call the doctor's office for you.

I hope this explanation is at least helpful.
Old 04-30-2021, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Per the insurance companies, Trelegy Inhalers must be billed by the number of blisters per package (#60) not the number of doses per package (#30). Therefore a 90 day supply cannot be written as a quantity of 90 but must be written as a quantity of 180. Actually the prescriber can write a 90 day Rx for this one of 3 ways -

- dispense #180

By writing just #90 as the quantity, the pharmacist cannot dispense more than one inhaler at a time since even 2 inhalers would be equivalent to a quantity of #120, more than the quantity written.

I know this sounds ridiculous, most pharmacists and prescribers feel the same way, but unfortunately we are at the mercy of the insurance companies who pay us, so we have to abide by their way of doing things. If not, the option is an audit, which they certainly would do on a medication as expensive as Trelegy and every dime they paid to the pharmacy would be taken back.

I'm sorry you had to leave the pharmacy so frustrated. If I had been working there, my general practice would have been to offer to call the doctor's office for you.

Just another reason why I retired at age 55.....
Old 04-30-2021, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboViper View Post

Re: common sense.
So many of us go through the same thing. I assume are on medicare. The medicare preferred suppliers are a very mass huge retailer, the one you mention.
Two grocery stores that sell drugs and a drug store that sells groceries. Your prescription, generic? Who knows where it is made? Who checks that it is what it says it is? You are betting your health on a long chain of????????

Welcome to mass medicine. On medicare, even your doctor is told what he/she can charge and they are told they must see 4 patients an hour. That is 15 minutes each
Old 04-30-2021, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

I went through hell with medicare. I went to publix they were polite an helpful. They told me turned down by medicare. I called medicare about an hour on the phone. They too were helpful concerned etc. I was told the issue was a prescription I had for a similar product item. It was due to expire in three weeks and I should put this in again it three weeks. Ok I told Publix that. They waited the three weeks put it in again and it was again denied by medicare. Medicare told me Publix was putting it in wrong and they told me I should go to another preferred supplier. Ok so I went to Walgreens. Stated in another post not a grocery selling drugs but a drug store selling groceries. They too were very nice. Got yet another prescription from my doctor, this one to Walgreens. Yet another week delay. Walgreens, reminder you do not talk to the bureaucrat who deals with medicare. Walgreens told me denied by medicare. I called the manufacturer and they gave me the names of mail order suppliers. Yup another prescription from my doctor. Yup another week delay. And that is how it took THREE MONTHS to get a product that the medicare book says is covered.
Surely, most people who are not as stubborn as I am give up.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Re: common sense.
So many of us go through the same thing. I assume are on medicare. The medicare preferred suppliers are a very mass huge retailer, the one you mention.
Two grocery stores that sell drugs and a drug store that sells groceries. Your prescription, generic? Who knows where it is made? Who checks that it is what it says it is? You are betting your health on a long chain of????????

Welcome to mass medicine. On medicare, even your doctor is told what he/she can charge and they are told they must see 4 patients an hour. That is 15 minutes each
Really???? They tell physicians that??? And you came to this conclusion how????
Bottom line, you are clueless about what you're talking about, Medicare has no such requirement.
Also, Medicare does not dictate what a doctor can charge, only what they will reimburse. That's why concierge physicians do not participate in Medicare. (or any other insurance for that matter)
Old 04-30-2021, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just another reason why I retired at age 55.....
Yeah, that's because you're a lot smarter than me. I finally retired the first of this month - April Fools' Day - so appropriate for someone who now keeps asking herself why did I wait so long?!?
Old 04-30-2021, 11:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post

- dispense #180

My math surmising was incorrect. I don't understand the blister pack stuff so I apologize to the pharmacy person at Walmart. Sorry.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Completely off subject but about the vagaries of medical insurance.
I get my medical insurance for my trips to US and it is valid for 90 days. I cannot extend it due to previous medical condition.
I can however fly back to UK, never leave airport, board another plane back to US. and my insurance is good for another 90 days!
Old 05-01-2021, 05:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Errors

What we have here is a problem in communication . Not a fault of Medicare or Walmart . Or you . Just plain stupidity to of regulations.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:14 AM

We must have similar prescription drug plans. I (supposedly) can get 90 days (3 months) of medication for 2 copays. I get my prescriptions filled at Publix and had the same problem getting an inhaler. Even though the prescription was for 90 days (3 inhalers) I was only able to get 1. I did question the pharmacist and she said some government regulations changed and they were no longer able to dispense more than one at a time. And, that’s OK with me IF the only charge me once for the 3 inhalers.
Closed Thread

Tags
told, inhaler, day, problem, inhalers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.