Enrichment Academy replaces Life Long Learning

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default Enrichment Academy replaces Life Long Learning

The Lifelong Learning College, disbanded late last year, will rise again under a new name.
District Manager Janet Tutt speaks to the VHA South on Monday evening

District Manager Janet Tutt speaks to the VHA South on Monday evening.

District Manager Janet Tutt made the announcement Monday evening at a VHA South Area meeting at the Rohan Recreation Center.

The Enrichment Academy will fall under the Recreation Department.

Village Center Community Development District supervisors are scheduled to discuss the plan at 2 p.m. Wednesday, April 12 at the District Office at Lake Sumter Landing.

The Enrichment Academy will focus on community education and enrichment. It will provide and operate fee-based extra-curriculum courses, and offer a variety of courses that will enhance and expand learning opportunities for participants.

The budget has been developed. Startup funds are coming out of the VCCDD General Fund, with the understanding that when the Enrichment Academy is up and running, those funds will be reimbursed back to the general fund.

An August expo will be held for course sign up, with core courses beginning in October. Core courses are defined by areas such as dancing, foreign languages, art, dance, technology, history and science. Recreation Centers throughout The Villages will be used for classes. The courses will not disrupt any activities at the Recreation Centers. Courses are geared to residents and anyone 30 years or older may register.

The Enrichment Academy welcomes those with a passion for teaching to complete and return an application for curriculum consideration. For Phase I, all instructors will need to meet the criteria of being a Villages resident. Applications will be accepted starting Spring 2017. All instructors will be paid on a per person rate, based on a percentage of the course fee.

This new program will provide and operate fee based extra-curriculum courses, and offer a variety of courses that will enhance and expand learning opportunities for students. Instructors will be paid by contract and will be based on a 60/40 split, with the District receiving 60 percent of the registration fee. It will complement the existing resident led lifestyle volunteer and recreation services offered in the recreation centers, and provide residents even more choices to fulfill their passions in learning.

The budget is set at $500,494 with revenue coming from the three counties which make up The Villages. This includes a payroll of $133,020; contractual services of $281,734; management fees of $35,953; professional fees of $49,670 and Health, Life and Disability of $45,167.

You can read more about The Enrichment Academy at this link: The Enrichment Academy

In regard to ADA compliance, Tutt said that liability falls back to the VCCDD. Once the website is launched, it will identify full compliance with ADA and all other considerations pertaining to accommodating participants.
The lettering has been removed from the former home of the Villages Lifelong Learning College.

The lettering has been removed from the former home of the Villages Lifelong Learning College.

The Lifelong Learning College was challenged by a group of Villagers with hearing impairment because interpreters were not being provided at courses offered. After attempts to work with the Lifelong Learning College and a dispute about providing accommodation that would allow deaf individuals to equally participate in the courses offered, the group believed there was no choice but to file a lawsuit, Louis Schwarz, one of the lawsuit participants, said. This lawsuit led to the closure of the Lifelong Learning College, which more than 18,000 Villages residents took part in.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

You can read this in the online Villages Newspaper.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Recreation Centers throughout The Villages will be used for classes. The courses will not disrupt any activities at the Recreation Centers.
I hesitate to bash the redesigned program, but I find this statement to be impossible to understand. Scheduling of activities is already extremely difficult.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Platinum member

I've already seen classes that used to be no charge (I.e., covered by your amenity fee) beginning to charge an extra fee. One example is the ballroom dance class Thursday at Seabreeze. Are these trial balloons to determine how they will be accepted by residents? IMHO, not a good precedent.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
I hesitate to bash the redesigned program, but I find this statement to be impossible to understand. Scheduling of activities is already extremely difficult.
Maybe they'll schedule the classes after 9 during the summer months. All the riff raff will be up north.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

And lawful residents under thirty won't be able to attend? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Wonder how much these new classes will cost. My gut feeling is they'll be at least triple what previous classes were.

As to not disrupting present activities, I can more or less buy this statement. A lot of the rec center room usage was for previous classes. It may be more difficult for new clubs to get a room, though.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post

Which do you think will have priority in scheduling--the classes you pay extra for (over and above your amenity fee) or the ones that provide no ADDITIONAL cashflow? Hmmmm...
This is a slippery slope IMHO.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Can anyone who attended today's meeting please report on the details? I am concerned that volunteer-led resident lifestyle programs will find themselves in competition with "Enrichment " programs for time/space.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

For awhile there will be winners & losers. New process will have growing pains, just as the LLLC did. Worrying probably won't help.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
For awhile there will be winners & losers. New process will have growing pains, just as the LLLC did. Worrying probably won't help.
Let's wait and see what happens before we get our knickers in a twist. I am just very glad that things have moved this quickly.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
One of my husband's favorite sayings is "Why worry? If it does happen, you will have worried twice. If it does not happen, then you will have worried for nothing."
Old 04-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
One of my husband's favorite sayings is "Why worry? If it does happen, you will have worried twice. If it does not happen, then you will have worried for nothing."
You were very interested in the lawsuit, if I remember correctly. You are deaf, if I remember correctly. Do you think there will be another suit filed asking for interpreters against this new attempt to have some further education for interested villagers?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You were very interested in the lawsuit, if I remember correctly. You are deaf, if I remember correctly. Do you think there will be another suit filed asking for interpreters against this new attempt to have some further education for interested villagers?
This trial is still ongoing, and one of the things the Plaintiffs are asking is that the new program provides interpreting services - in fact, they are asking that this becomes permanent for any event, any program, etc. so they won't have to re-litigate.

This is all I know for now. Of course there are other issues that are being addressed.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 04-13-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
This trial is still ongoing, and one of the things the Plaintiffs are asking that the new program provides interpreting services - in fact, they are asking that this becomes permanent for any event, any program, etc. so they won't have to re-litigate.

This is all I know for now. Of course there are other issues that are being addressed.
I personally, think that isn't reasonable or fair. Or right. But that is my opinion. A lot of things asked for by parents with children who have cognitive delays aren't right or fair either. In my opinion. Sometimes life isn't fair or right and we can't fix everything. Or expect everything to be fixed at another's expense. Sometimes the expense is so great as to take money from other programs that benefit more people. It is very hard to judge what is fair and right. I am the mother of a child with Williams Syndrome who is now a wonderful woman.

I think the suit that you speak of went to far. I didn't really see an attempt to compromise. That is only my opinion.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I personally, think that isn't reasonable or fair. Or right. But that is my opinion. A lot of things asked for by parents with children who have cognitive delays aren't right or fair either. In my opinion. Sometimes life isn't fair or right and we can't fix everything. Or expect everything to be fixed at another's expense. Sometimes the expense is so great as to take money from other programs that benefit more people. It is very hard to judge what is fair and right. I am the mother of a child with Williams Syndrome who is now a wonderful woman.

I think the suit that you speak of went to far. I didn't really see an attempt to compromise. That is only my opinion.
You're right, I don't see either an attempt to compromise which dismays me. Here in our hometown I have chosen to go without interpreting services because I prefer that the money goes to fund social programs for needy people - esp children who are our future.

Instead if I need or want to be "enriched," I use the computer or the library. Besides I prefer the idea of using my computer in my nightie and with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with crackers and cheese.

However if the others want interpreting services because it is their legal right to have them, there is not much we can do about it. We cannot legislate morality as you said in one of your postings.

The ADA needs to be overhauled or clarified further.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 04-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
courses, learning, enrichment, academy, district

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.