Entertainment at the Squares

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 AM
Default Entertainment at the Squares

I am a home owner in The Villages however just a part time resident. (6 months annually).

Almost every day when I'm not residing in The Villages I view the 3 Village Square web cams from my home in Pennsylvania.

From May through October the 3 squares are "empty"

The entertainment groups are performing for a very small group of people, sometimes as few as 5-10. What a waste of talent and money.

The entertainment budget would be better spent if the entertainment would "rotate" between squares during the "off" season.

This would give those residents wanting to hear good entertainment a chance to experience different Town Squares within The Villages.

I believe if this were put up for a vote in The Villages it would pass as long as we, The Villagers, can benefit from the savings.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Disagree! We already enjoy ALL the squares, they are NOT empty, and I don't believe any such vote would pass. The choice of the different squares nightly is one of the reasons we bought here. When you live here maybe you will feel differently and won't like being told where to frequent on any given night. Don't try to change it up for those of us that are here all year. Our amenity fee is quite fair and does not rise tremendously year over year. Besides which, I'm quite sure any savings would not be passed along to us. I say, sit tight till you are down here, and then see how you feel about changing things.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

I Agree Lovey2. I have not seen a amenity fee Rebate in my mail box..........
Old 10-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

This has to be one of the most self-centered threads I have ever read. So. we have to wait till you come down to your winter oasis before we residents can enjoy live nightly entertainment at the three squares. I do have to thank you for your part-time Village lifestyle because you pay the amenity fee while you are not here, which gives me more parking and better seating, Oh, and by the way, due to the delayed debris cleanup, there has been a tremendous increase in the rat, coyote and mosquito population. There are piles of trash all over the place. Some of the golf courses are still not open. Maybe you might want to consider coming down a few months later than you planned.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Sage

Couldn't disagree more with the op. And I think if the proposition were ever put up for a vote, it would get SOUNDLY defeated.

I don't even see the "empty" squares any time of year that the op refers to. Of course there are smaller crowds at times. Totally to be expected and often very enjoyable.

Last edited by Polar Bear; 10-23-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

First, amenity fees do not pay for entertainment on the squares. The squares are not as full in the summer unless one of the big 3 groups are performing but they are far from empty. If you are looking at 5:00 they may seem empty because everyone is seeking the shade. We often don't go before 7:00 when the sun is not so hot.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post
I am a home owner in The Villages however just a part time resident. (6 months annually).

Almost every day when I'm not residing in The Villages I view the 3 Village Square web cams from my home in Pennsylvania.

The entertainment groups are performing for a very small group of people, sometimes as few as 5-10. What a waste of talent and money.

The entertainment budget would be better spent if the entertainment would "rotate" between squares during the "off" season.

This would give those residents wanting to hear good entertainment a chance to experience different Town Squares within The Villages.

I believe if this were put up for a vote in The Villages it would pass as long as we, The Villagers, can benefit from the savings.
Many people stay home when it gets into the low 80 degree range in TV'S because it's too cold. The entire idea is for the entertainment to be available. Many people wait till 7PM to show up so they beat the heat on the brutal days. I think your point of view may change once you get down here and people really don't look kindly at losing or going backward on anything. You should put that idea on that suggestion form that we just filled out. I'm almost certain it comes out each year. Take Care.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,688 Times in 3,601 Posts

Come experience.

There are times I need to sit on a bag of ice because it's rather hot........but we love the year round entertainment.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,428 Posts

I disagree also. We have been here since May and go to the squares once or twice a week I have never seen just a handful of people and we go right at 5:00 or a little after. Yesterday we went to Paddock and when the music started at 5:00 I'm going to guess there were 70 people or so, hard to figure as with the bleachers and folding chairs 70 looks like only a few. The band was Highway 44, first time I have seen them and I don't believe one of the top groups that perform at the squares. I'm sure by 7:00 there were quite a few people enjoying the band. Most of the time we leave by 6:00 and the bleachers are pretty full and many folding chairs are out on the floor. We like to go early but will try going a little later in the future to see what it's like when dark. Keep em playing 7 days a week. I would never complain about our amenity fees as there is so much here because of the fees you cannot possibly do it all.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len84pa View Post

As someone has already wisely pointed out, Villagers do not pay for the entertainment, the local merchants do. There are several ways to get information about various things.
Village Community Development Districts
The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
TheVillages.net - Login - Email, tee-times, computer support - serving The Villages, Florida and the Tri-county area.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Platinum member

You may not be aware that the counties help to support the entertainment in the squares by providing grants of Tourist Tax Dollars. Amenity fees are not used.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
You may not be aware that the counties help to support the entertainment in the squares by providing grants of Tourist Tax Dollars. Amenity fees are not used.
Good point!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

Hrrmmm..... I don' agree nor disagree.... Yes, in the hotter season it is less crowded at the Squares, and I am enjoying it very much. Yes, it is right, sometimes it is EMPTY, mostly when it is pouring down and lightning - Well, during the cooler season it is more crowded and when I want to go to a square -except Spanish Springs- I have to walk the last half a mile to get to the place because of Parking (my FitBit likes that!).
Conclusion: It is amazing to me how much effort is always done to entertain ALL people with very different tastes. And they are doing a good job.
Just my opinion, you might have another one (and that is just great).
Old 10-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw14 View Post
I Agree Lovey2. I have not seen a amenity fee Rebate in my mail box..........
Our Amenity fee goes up or down (lol) based on the cost of living.

We, thank Goodness, do not have a system where someone moves here. runs for office and encourages spending on his/her pet enjoyments. Such as a free clinic for bioidentical hormones, or a dog wash facility funded by us all.

AND.....Merchants ON the squares support the squares entertainment. It would be unfair to them to move the entertainment around.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 PM

I have been to the squares quite a bit and never saw them empty at all at any time. I think they do quite well. And it should stay that way.

Tags
entertainment, squares, villages, home, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.