Entitled jerks

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2022, 01:37 PM
Default Entitled jerks

This morning my wife and I took our 13-pound dog for a walk around the Lake Minion rec. center. We stuck to the sidewalk around the center as dogs are not allowed on the new walking trail. A guy is coming at us from the opposite direction with 2 off-leash dogs. I pick up our dog as she is terrified of most dogs. I mention to him, very politely, that dogs are supposed to be on a leash. His response was, "Some people should be on a leash." The he turned around and yelled, "Mother Fuc**r" at me.

I was quite annoyed at the entitled attitude and upset at the language he felt entitled to use.

What would you have done? What should I have done?

I'm very tired of individuals that believe that it's fine to have their dog off leash in public areas. Every part of The Villages is in a county with leash laws.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
This morning my wife and I took our 13-pound dog for a walk around the Lake Minion rec. center. We stuck to the sidewalk around the center as dogs are not allowed on the new walking trail. A guy is coming at us from the opposite direction with 2 off-leash dogs. I pick up our dog as she is terrified of most dogs. I mention to him, very politely, that dogs are supposed to be on a leash. His response was, "Some people should be on a leash." The he turned around and yelled, "Mother Fuc**r" at me.

I was quite annoyed at the entitled attitude and upset at the language he felt entitled to use.

I'm very tired of individuals that believe that it's fine to have their dog off leash in public areas. Every part of The Villages is in a county with leash laws.
Don’t let him dump his anger on you. If you have seen the movie “Spirited”, turn to him and say “Good Afternoon “ then walk away. Much nicer than using his language.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 11-30-2022, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

That's life. Some folks are miserable all their lives and wish to take it out on others that they feel superior to in some way. Not much you can do about it, so why let it aggravate you further? No matter how you assert yourself, it will just worsen the situation, unless you just let it go. Of course, if you think you might run into that guy again, that would be a different matter. You would need some information on his identification so that you could complain to animal control. I don't think there is any law against calling you a name, so his bad manners and foul mouth is his right to free speech. My problem in this case would be that I would probably get angry and that would make one or both of us have a bad day. Unfortunately, having your hands full with a small animal makes it difficult to properly counsel the guy on his bad conduct. He is just a dog bite away from being jerked into court for his stupid neglect. Advice? Forget about it.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Take a picture of the situation with your phone - if you do a video you’ll get the comment too. For further reference.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Take a picture of the situation with your phone - if you do a video you’ll get the comment too. For further reference.
............and possibly walk home with an Apple sticking out of your butt!
Old 11-30-2022, 03:23 PM

Is this really any different than getting flipped off while you are driving? You did the right thing and said something, but you weren't going to change his mind and it's really not ruining the rest of day over. Now if you see him all the time, that's a different matter. If it's a schedule, you can always call community watch and let them deal with it...
Old 11-30-2022, 03:32 PM

I wonder if he walks his dogs in crowded town squares too?
Old 11-30-2022, 03:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

At one time, my wife had to deal face-to-face with the public. Occasionally, she'd have to put up with a really nasty type. As the jerk was leaving, she would smile and say, "Drive safely now."
Old 11-30-2022, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
............and possibly walk home with an Apple sticking out of your butt!
And a guy arrested next for assault?? LOL

Last edited by Velvet; 11-30-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:40 PM

I was golfing last week, and I and one of my foursome were in the sand trap. I popped out, and quickly stepped out of the trap and out of the way so the other player could complete his shot, as he was further behind me. Someone walking by on the path yelled "Hey! Are you going to rake that trap?!"

Some people have far too much time and entitlement on their hands.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:42 PM
Default however....

You need multiple surgeries to sew you back up and they can't find the guy. So it's BEST to not say anything. pick up your dog as you have and move on. Confronting anyone is dangerous now. (you have no idea what they are on and what they have to end you at that very moment)
Old 11-30-2022, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Was this a young guy? Older? What kind of dogs?

Others should avoid him if we have a description online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post

Old 11-30-2022, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,249 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I wonder if he walks his dogs in crowded town squares too?
No, those dogs are on a leash...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-30-2022, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

In my younger days I’d drop him on the spot, but then again I always seemed to somehow be in some kind of trouble. Now, I would just smile and say it takes one to know one : )
Old 11-30-2022, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-US View Post
You need multiple surgeries to sew you back up and they can't find the guy. So it's BEST to not say anything. pick up your dog as you have and move on. Confronting anyone is dangerous now. (you have no idea what they are on and what they have to end you at that very moment)
Sorry, I don’t believe that, not until we all start living under Communism.

Last edited by Velvet; 11-30-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
leash, dogs, entitled, dog, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.