Entitled walkers on paths

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Default Entitled walkers on paths

I have no problem with bikes and walkers on the paths (I was going to call them golf car paths but I can be fair).

My problem is this...

There are some turns and hidden areas that a walker may come up on a golf cart. I really do not notice this with bikes.

What gets me is instead of moving out of the way in tight situations, that they stand their ground and wave the cart away from them (and maybe into another cart).

Its like a Jedi mind trick.

Now the problem...

Walkers are not protected and they have to take their safety seriously. If it was me, and it was crashing into a walker or crossing into traffic and hitting multiple people, well, I am sorry.

Moral of the story is: Do not trust the skills of the driver. If you are a walker, protect yourself FIRST. Yell all you want but don't get hit by a cart. Their insurance may take a hit, but you will also take a hit and could be injured really badly. It isn't worth it.

Okay, I am done. Don't hate too much, I see to draw hate for some reason. Maybe its my views. Be gentle.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

We don't own a golf cart and almost never walk or ride a bike on the MMPs, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, I do have an opinion.

If you are driving a cart or riding a bike and you hit a pedestrian, I think you will be in a WORLD of trouble.

If you walk on a MMP, I think you should be very careful, as most people seem to be. As we drive down Buena Vista or Morse, we often see people walking on the MMPs, and they appear to be walking on the extreme edge of the asphalt so they can avoid carts or bikes. That seems pretty smart to me, almost as smart as never walking on the MMP in the first place.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Gold member
Default "almost as smart as never walking on the MMP"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We don't own a golf cart and almost never walk or ride a bike on the MMPs, so I don't have a dog in this fight. However, I do have an opinion.

If you are driving a cart or riding a bike and you hit a pedestrian, I think you will be in a WORLD of trouble.

If you walk on a MMP, I think you should be very careful, as most people seem to be. As we drive down Buena Vista or Morse, we often see people walking on the MMPs, and they appear to be walking on the extreme edge of the asphalt so they can avoid carts or bikes. That seems pretty smart to me, almost as smart as never walking on the MMP in the first place.
Using such logic one should never venture out while walking...what if your in your neighborhood and a car/bike/cart hits you there? What if you're on a sidewalk(where bikes are allowed unfortunately)and a car/cart jumps the curb?

I walk facing traffic(as is recommended)...I walk at the edge of the MMP and streets in neighborhoods and I always assume those in carts/on bikes don't see me. Will that always protect me? No, but it's either that or never leave the house for fear that someone won't be paying attention.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I have no problem with bikes and walkers on the paths (I was going to call them golf car paths but I can be fair).

My problem is this...

There are some turns and hidden areas that a walker may come up on a golf cart. I really do not notice this with bikes.

What gets me is instead of moving out of the way in tight situations, that they stand their ground and wave the cart away from them (and maybe into another cart).

Its like a Jedi mind trick.

Now the problem...

Walkers are not protected and they have to take their safety seriously. If it was me, and it was crashing into a walker or crossing into traffic and hitting multiple people, well, I am sorry.

Moral of the story is: Do not trust the skills of the driver. If you are a walker, protect yourself FIRST. Yell all you want but don't get hit by a cart. Their insurance may take a hit, but you will also take a hit and could be injured really badly. It isn't worth it.

Okay, I am done. Don't hate too much, I see to draw hate for some reason. Maybe its my views. Be gentle.
It is easy to be right (within your rights) and still be horribly injured or dead.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 AM

There have been lots of times when I am riding in my cart on an MMP and encounter a walker, they won't even consider stepping off the path, especially if 2 carts are passing each other. I've had to slam on the brakes because of their selfish behavior. There is no substitute for courtesy.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Everyone needs to be vigilant and not take chances. But those paths are shared and everyone needs to be courteous and aware of others. Some are not and act belligerent when walking, riding a bike or using a golf cart. And that is dangerous for all.

Just this week I was going north on Lynnhaven in a golf cart. There were two walkers side by side on the sidewalk and two side by side on the golf cart path of the street as all 4 were walking together. Because it was around 8:00 AM and the street was very busy due to school traffic, I could not pull into the street to go around them. I had to come to a complete stop and the two walkers in the golf cart path yelled that I needed to get out of their way as they had the right of way. I could maybe understand if there was no sidewalk, but even then they should maybe do something as they could also see the steady traffic. I had no option but to stop.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred R View Post
There have been lots of times when I am riding in my cart on an MMP and encounter a walker, they won't even consider stepping off the path, especially if 2 carts are passing each other. I've had to slam on the brakes because of their selfish behavior. There is no substitute for courtesy.
Agree, have you ran it to the three abreast or 4 abreast that nearly take up the whole path. Even walking I had to get off in the grass cause 4 walking side by side Yakking away care in the world. I am ready to jump off the path at any monument and won't hesitate to do so. Carts have blind spots. IMO what's really bad some walk side by side in the diamond lanes when heavy traffic Cart, two cars and two people all in line on the street don't leave much room for error. Now add blind spots, sun, and not paying attention, is why I ready to jump onto the grass or even get on the grass when see that stars will align .

And I guess there are few that's always looking for law suit to supplement they're retirement income for cruises or European vacations.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
and you never consider slowing down (so you wouldn't have to "slam on the brakes") or stopping while the other cart passes?

everyone has a right to use that path, which is why it's called Multi Modal, and, while pedestrians need to be careful (per the OP), they shouldn't have to jump out of the way just because you choose to be thoughtless
Old 02-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Sage

Walkers, cyclists, skaters, and golf carts have the same rights and responsibilities on the MMPs. They are a shared resource. It is your responsibility to go around slower moving "entities" when it is safe to do so and walkers have every right to be on the MMPs.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Walkers, cyclists, skaters, and golf carts have the same rights and responsibilities on the MMPs. It is your responsibility to go around slower moving "entities" when it is safe to do so and walkers have every right to be on the MMPs.
That may be true, but in my humble opinion, you're taking your life in your hands if you're walking on those paths.

You have elderly people driving 600-800 pound vehicles at 20-25 mph on the paths. Some of them are driving golf carts because their driver's licenses have been taken away. I know of some that are legally blind and can't drive a car so they drive a golf cart.

Many of the paths are barely wide enough for two carts to pass side by side. Om many areas there are blind corners and walkers are not seen until it's very late. And then as the OP has pointed out if it comes down to crashing head first into another golf cart or taking out a pedestrian, what would your choice be. Also many walkers (not all) have this sort of arrogance about how they have as much right as a golf cart so they stand on the path in defiance of the carts. Again, it may be true, they do have the same rights and if it makes the feel better, "I Was Right" can always be written on their tombstone.

I think that The Villages is also at fault and could possibly be liable for someone getting severely injured on one of these paths. They should call them golf cart paths and ban walking on them or at least state that walkers and runners do so at their own risk.

Calling them multi modal paths encourages people to walk and run on them and endangers the lives and safety of the general public.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Just this week I was going north on Lynnhaven in a golf cart. There were two walkers side by side on the sidewalk and two side by side on the golf cart path of the street as all 4 were walking together. Because it was around 8:00 AM and the street was very busy due to school traffic, I could not pull into the street to go around them. I had to come to a complete stop and the two walkers in the golf cart path yelled that I needed to get out of their way as they had the right of way. I could maybe understand if there was no sidewalk, but even then they should maybe do something as they could also see the steady traffic. I had no option but to stop.

As to the assertion of the walkers in the street that they had the right of way. No they don't and they were in violation of Florida law if there was a sidewalk available as you stated

316.130 Pedestrians; traffic regulations.—
(3) Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic.

Nonetheless, that provision does not provide legal cover should you hit these misbehaving pedestrians

(15) Notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
If you see a walker on the MMP and you are not able to pass around them because another cart is coming, you might want to consider slowing down until you can safely pass the walker. Or is that expecting too much courtesy from you?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage

I think you missed my point. There are some who implicitly (and incorrectly, I may add) assume that golf carts have more rights on the MMPs than walkers. This erroneous assumption is most likely part of the problem; they don't recognize their responsibilities. This was an opportunity to set forth the facts. I generally prefer not to pontificate over what I think should be but try to focus on what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That may be true, but in my humble opinion, you're taking your life in your hands if you're walking on those paths.

You have elderly people driving 600-800 pound vehicles at 20-25 mph on the paths. Some of them are driving golf carts because their driver's licenses have been taken away. I know of some that are legally blind and can't drive a car so they drive a golf cart.

Many of the paths are barely wide enough for two carts to pass side by side. Om many areas there are blind corners and walkers are not seen until it's very late. And then as the OP has pointed out if it comes down to crashing head first into another golf cart or taking out a pedestrian, what would your choice be. Also many walkers (not all) have this sort of arrogance about how they have as much right as a golf cart so they stand on the path in defiance of the carts. Again, it may be true, they do have the same rights and if it makes the feel better, "I Was Right" can always be written on their tombstone.

I think that The Villages is also at fault and could possibly be liable for someone getting severely injured on one of these paths. They should call them golf cart paths and ban walking on them or at least state that walkers and runners do so at their own risk.

Calling them multi modal paths encourages people to walk and run on them and endangers the lives and safety of the general public.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 AM

Should walkers walk on the right or left side of paths? When I approach them in a golf cart I wish they would walk on the right so I could follow until safe to pass. When they walk on the left side I must come to a stop until safe to go around.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankeny View Post
Should walkers walk on the right or left side of paths? When I approach them in a golf cart I wish they would walk on the right so I could follow until safe to pass. When they walk on the left side I must come to a stop until safe to go around.
Walkers should walk facing oncoming traffic.
In the event of two carts passing with insuficient room if walkers are on the path, the vehicle on the walkers side should give way or stop until it is safe to pull out and round the walkers.
It would be nice in those situations if the walkers would step onto verge to facilitate free flow of traffic, but like negotiating roundabouts, assume nothing!
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, walker, problem, hit, walkers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.