Entrance Gate Cards - Why do they bother?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Entrance Gate Cards - Why do they bother?

LOL! EDIT: THIS POST IN NO WAY SUGGESTS REMOVING GATES JUST THE NEED FOR GATE CARDS! I LOVE THE GATES. GATES ARE MY FRIEND! GATES ARE WONDERFUL!

In my 2 years 2 months and (as of now) 13 days living here full time I still haven't been able to figure out a REAL need for these cards. Aside from them being a real PITA, what purpose do they really serve? Yes, I know there may be 1 or 2 exceptions where there is no "red button" or gate keeper but:

Obvious fact this isn't a gated community so it obviously isn't security.

Purpose of gates themselves seems to be to break up traffic so golf carts can pass across which is great (but often doesn't help but it's better than nothing).

If you don't have a card, forgot your card or simply don't want to use it for any one of many reasons you can just push the button or wave at the gate person if one is there.

So why not simply eliminate the cards and leave the automatic gates to still open and close on entry automatically as they do now when you LEAVE a village which will still serve the same traffic purpose?

No matter how it's done drivers will still break the gates or try to speed through them.

That being said, if we absolutely must for some unknown reason have these special cards why not make window stickers transponders like Sunpass available that can be read without having to use your card manually? It can be an extra cost option for those who don't want cards and I know many would be willing to pay a 1-time fee for them. Answer to that is probably $$$$ because the ancient reading system would probably be quite expensive to update so I'd rather see them eliminated. KEEP the gates, get rid of the cards.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 04-18-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

I think they are actually there for security. They slow vehicles down enough so a clear picture can be taken of every passing. That way, if there is trouble they can go back to the digital recordings and hopefully find the violator. Not a bad idea in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Perhaps those in the know could explain total value.

Some thoughts come to mind as to why we have gates. Slow down the traffic somewhat like speed bumps. Discourage random drive through traffic. Allow for clear photo of auto license and ID. Note that there is at least 1 gate for golf cart entrance only. Gate is not manned and no red button to open. Seems designed to keep golf carts from out of The Villages out.

I have been here 12 years and have had no problems
Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I have yet went through gate that didn’t have red button? I sure the million dollar homes don’t want riff raft snooping around, so they probably have separate passes? When the calumet gate entry broken, they put the stop sign before the guard shack, which even it cars entering stop ( most don’t) you can’t see golf carts due to blind spot from the shack.

IMO this is safety hazard, they should put the stop sign after the shack. That way when you stop you can see if curt is crossing. IMO when the put the stop sign the need speed bump down cause some just barrel through 15 mph or faster and don’t even stop. Somebody going to get t-boned in golf cart
Old 04-17-2019, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

The only 1 without button I have noticed is the little gate iin the historic side in the medical center area for carts only. There may be others, but have never seen any. We drive around looking at million dollar homes all the time just for fun. Bridgeport (saw a $1.3mill home with a 2800sq ft garage for sale a few weeks ago!), Pine Hills and a few other areas. Never a problem getting in or out through any gates. Most newer areas aren't even manned.

They can still take pictures (they do have devices that record pictures that move, even an iPhone can do it) so I don't think clear photos are an issue. I think it just started out that way many years ago and they just continued the "tradition." I don't find it a "problem," it usually works fine, I just find it an unnecessary annoyance that (IMO) serves no real purpose.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The only 1 without button I have noticed is the little gate iin the historic side in the medical center area for carts only. There may be others, but have never seen any. We drive around looking at million dollar homes all the time just for fun. Bridgeport (saw a $1.3mill home with a 2800sq ft garage for sale a few weeks ago!), Pine Hills and a few other areas. Never a problem getting in or out through any gates. Most newer areas aren't even manned.

They can still take pictures (they do have devices that record pictures that move, even an iPhone can do it) so I don't think clear photos are an issue. I think it just started out that way many years ago and they just continued the "tradition." I don't find it a "problem," it usually works fine, I just find it an unnecessary annoyance that (IMO) serves no real purpose.
I think there's no button at the Belvedere gate up by the high school. I could be wrong.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

I agree. Seems like an automatic gate would serve the same purpose of slowing down speeders in general and allowing time for the automatic cameras to take photos. Certainly there are frequent complaints from residents about the negatives associated with overuse of automatic windows, rain, card functionality, etc.

It's possible that personal and aggregate data from the cards is collected and perhaps used to identify traffic patterns or even for individual police investigations with a warrant. Whether or not those requirements outweigh the inconveniences is, alas, not my decision to make.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

Yes, there is a button at the Belvedere gate by the high school.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM

Since this is a "golf cart community", I am so glad there are gates. We love going most places by golf carts and if it were not for the gates, people in golf carts would really have problems crossing main streets that run off Morse and Buena Vista. For example, a golf cart traveling on the MMP along Morse crossing Bonita where there is no gate, the golf cart driver has to really beware of traffic coming off Morse onto Bonita. Autos coming off Morse seldom slow down much as they turn onto Bonita. It is a dangerous crossing. On the other hand crossing Hillsborough or Pinellas without gates in place would at times be impossible for the golf cart due to the heavy traffic in and out of Morse/Buena Vista at these intersections. Whether in a golf cart or in an auto, we all have to be alert and SHARE the road.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

They're simply there to give a false sense of security...of supposedly living in a 'gated community.'

Of which...we don't.

An automatic gate at the entrance, as a vehicle approaches, would accomplish the exact same thing...of 'slowing' traffic.

The fact that it's set up that way when you leave, and yet the same golf carts cross those lanes also...eviscerates any argument that they're there for "safety."
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Since this is a "golf cart community", I am so glad there are gates. We love going most places by golf carts and if it were not for the gates, people in golf carts would really have problems crossing main streets that run off Morse and Buena Vista. For example, a golf cart traveling on the MMP along Morse crossing Bonita where there is no gate, the golf cart driver has to really beware of traffic coming off Morse onto Bonita. Autos coming off Morse seldom slow down much as they turn onto Bonita. It is a dangerous crossing. On the other hand crossing Hillsborough or Pinellas without gates in place would at times be impossible for the golf cart due to the heavy traffic in and out of Morse/Buena Vista at these intersections. Whether in a golf cart or in an auto, we all have to be alert and SHARE the road.

And yet, the gates automatically go up...when leaving a Village.

So basically, they only (supposedly) protect golf traffic...in one direction.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Perhaps those in the know could explain total value.

Some thoughts come to mind as to why we have gates. Slow down the traffic somewhat like speed bumps. Discourage random drive through traffic. Allow for clear photo of auto license and ID. Note that there is at least 1 gate for golf cart entrance only. Gate is not manned and no red button to open. Seems designed to keep golf carts from out of The Villages out.

I have been here 12 years and have had no problems
It is my understanding that the exotic computerized gate recognition system that was to be implemented to help law enforcement quickly identify tags has been delayed. Apparently there are issues with night lighting upgrades at the gates that would require a substantial increase in costs. So, that camera/computer system is on hold. Pictures are still being taken by the older system.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:22 AM

Respectfully, I've owned here since early 2015 and have seen numerous threads on this topic. My question is, if you don't like the gates, why did you buy here and/or why do you continue to live here?

And if the gates bother you that much and you think they should change, are you actively participating in the District government to make change, or just ranting on TOTV with your morning coffee hoping someone else will do something?

Personally, I like the arrangement which is why I am still here - Happy as a Clam.

Last edited by petsetc; 04-18-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: addtional comment
Old 04-18-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

There are several threads regarding our safety gates. And that is the primary reason for the gates. Safety for those in their golf carts and the possibility of tracking down somebody that committed a burglary or something worse. Accidents still happen - and that is why they are called accidents. Fore!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

When you use your gate card, there is a record of each of your entrance past gates and what time
Closed Thread

Tags
cards, card, gates, gate, purpose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.