Entrance Gate Cards - Why do they bother?

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2019, 07:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Yes...drop the cards and simply implant microchips into each resident.

Imagine...no bulky or easily forgotten cards or ID. Go anywhere in The Villages with easy ID & admittance:

Approach the gate and hear on a loudspeaker "Welcome to Lake Sumter Entry Gate #4 Wally and Wanda, enjoy your day".
Or entry to Brownwood for music and dance..."Welcome back Wally...where's Wanda? Is that a new Lady with you...?"
Or entering Bluefin ..."Welcome back Wally. You will be seated in the Cheap Section due to your last 3% tip to waitstaff".
Or entering Palmer golf course in cart..."Wally you owe us your trail fees - stop or spike strips will be utilized".
Or entering TV Singles Club..."Wanda - where's Wally? Is he not with you due to his cheating at Brownwood last week?"
Old 04-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

The issue with having the gates automatically open is that they are currently set to stay open as long as vehicles are traveling through. They don't close after each vehicle. If that happens on entrance as well, it would severely disrupt golf cart traffic. Case in point - the intersection when entering Spanish Springs from the north - sometimes you can't get through unless a kind driver stops and waves you through.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 AM

In general thieves will avoid risk. Going through a gate to steal and having to roll down your window and press a button is extra risk.

We do have crime in the villages, but certainly less because of the gates.

Gates may have saved a life or two as well, no way to tell, but golf carting is safer for sure.

Plus I love telling people that I live in a Semi-gated community.

One Thumbs up for gates.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

You last six posters make too much sense......... stop it.

Steve
Old 04-18-2019, 08:14 AM

Real gated communities pay a LOT more fees as they own and maintain the streets.

Our system is genius!

That is one reason I salute Harold at SS when I pass.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Certainly there are frequent complaints from residents about the negatives associated with overuse of automatic windows, rain, card functionality, etc.
I'm lucky that the two most frequent gates I go through (Mallory and Odell South) work every time for my gate pass with the car window up.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage

Kudos to all those who explained the purpose and benefits of the gates. I’ll never understand the “logic” of the gate haters.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
Since this is a "golf cart community", I am so glad there are gates. We love going most places by golf carts and if it were not for the gates, people in golf carts would really have problems crossing main streets that run off Morse and Buena Vista. For example, a golf cart traveling on the MMP along Morse crossing Bonita where there is no gate, the golf cart driver has to really beware of traffic coming off Morse onto Bonita. Autos coming off Morse seldom slow down much as they turn onto Bonita. It is a dangerous crossing. On the other hand crossing Hillsborough or Pinellas without gates in place would at times be impossible for the golf cart due to the heavy traffic in and out of Morse/Buena Vista at these intersections. Whether in a golf cart or in an auto, we all have to be alert and SHARE the road.
NEVER suggested GATES should be removed, quite the opposite. Just get rid of the gate CARDS and have all gates automatically open after a minimal delay as they do anyway. The gates are a necessity especially for the safety of golf cart drivers.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 04-18-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typozes
Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
Respectfully, I've owned here since early 2015 and have seen numerous threads on this topic. My question is, if you don't like the gates, why did you buy here and/or why do you continue to live here?

And if the gates bother you that much and you think they should change, are you actively participating in the District government to make change, or just ranting on TOTV with your morning coffee hoping someone else will do something?

Personally, I like the arrangement which is why I am still here - Happy as a Clam.

GEEZ FOLKS READ THE OP BEFORE MAKING COMMENTS! Assuming that post was directed to me since I started the thread and since you didn't quote anyone in your reply I NEVER SUGGESTED getting rid of gates, only GATE CARDS.

That and the old refrain of "if you don't like x y or z you shouldn't have moved here" is really getting old. 1000 positives outweigh a few negatives and last I checked we all still have the right to an opinion whether others agree or not on a specific issue..
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
When you use your gate card, there is a record of each of your entrance past gates and what time
Which is totally meaningless since I (or anyone) can just as easily push the red button or go through the manned gate without the card. That plus why is it anyone's business what time I come or go? I don't want my wife subpoenaing the records to find I slipped out at 4am while she was sleeping.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
GEEZ FOLKS READ THE OP BEFORE MAKING COMMENTS! Assuming that post was directed to me since I started the thread and since you didn't quote anyone in your reply I NEVER SUGGESTED getting rid of gates, only GATE CARDS.

That and the old refrain of "if you don't like x y or z you shouldn't have moved here" is really getting old. 1000 positives outweigh a few negatives and last I checked we all still have the right to an opinion whether others agree or not on a specific issue..
Old 04-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
In general thieves will avoid risk. Going through a gate to steal and having to roll down your window and press a button is extra risk.

We do have crime in the villages, but certainly less because of the gates.

Gates may have saved a life or two as well, no way to tell, but golf carting is safer for sure.

Plus I love telling people that I live in a Semi-gated community.

One Thumbs up for gates.

OMG, why has this gone so far off topic? WHO SAID TO GET RID OF GATES ??? Even the title of the thread Entrance Gate Cards - Why do they bother? Clearly suggest the question.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I have to use my gate key when I drive my truck through some of the gates. I can't reach the button with the window down so I just use it at all the gates. That could be one of the reasons. Buttons are too low for some.
Steve
Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I think it's appropriate to remind some people, that our streets...ARE PUBLIC PROPERTY.

Except for the Villa areas, they are maintained by the county and are NO DIFFERENT... than any other public street in the county.

Having pointed this out, how does everyone feel now about having gates on every single county street and needing to have a card or push a button...to utilize that which your taxes are paying to maintain?

Not to mention about possibly having your license plate recorded...every time you use any public road?

Not that it matters to me, but there are a lot of folks who lament...a loss of privacy these days.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

There are so many gates. You drive, you stop, you drive you stop, you drive you stop. I feel comforted by having all the gates but to pull out your gate card each time is such a nuisance. And to get out of your car because you can’t reach the button.... I would like to see gate passes that can be attached to your vehicle. They could be timed to stop your car so the golf carts can pass.
Closed Thread

Tags
cards, card, gates, gate, purpose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.