Entrance Gate Cards - Why do they bother?

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
LOL! EDIT: THIS POST IN NO WAY SUGGESTS REMOVING GATES JUST THE NEED FOR GATE CARDS! I LOVE THE GATES. GATES ARE MY FRIEND! GATES ARE WONDERFUL!

In my 2 years 2 months and (as of now) 13 days living here full time I still haven't been able to figure out a REAL need for these cards. Aside from them being a real PITA, what purpose do they really serve? Yes, I know there may be 1 or 2 exceptions where there is no "red button" or gate keeper but:

Obvious fact this isn't a gated community so it obviously isn't security.

Purpose of gates themselves seems to be to break up traffic so golf carts can pass across which is great (but often doesn't help but it's better than nothing).

If you don't have a card, forgot your card or simply don't want to use it for any one of many reasons you can just push the button or wave at the gate person if one is there.

So why not simply eliminate the cards and leave the automatic gates to still open and close on entry automatically as they do now when you LEAVE a village which will still serve the same traffic purpose?

No matter how it's done drivers will still break the gates or try to speed through them.

That being said, if we absolutely must for some unknown reason have these special cards why not make window stickers transponders like Sunpass available that can be read without having to use your card manually? It can be an extra cost option for those who don't want cards and I know many would be willing to pay a 1-time fee for them. Answer to that is probably $$$$ because the ancient reading system would probably be quite expensive to update so I'd rather see them eliminated. KEEP the gates, get rid of the cards.
17 years and still don’t find the cards a pita.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
17 years and still don’t find the cards a pita.

Your opinion has been counted.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
There are so many gates. You drive, you stop, you drive you stop, you drive you stop. I feel comforted by having all the gates but to pull out your gate card each time is such a nuisance. And to get out of your car because you can’t reach the button.... I would like to see gate passes that can be attached to your vehicle. They could be timed to stop your car so the golf carts can pass.

Thank you for even more clearly stating the point I was trying to make than I could.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
Oy vey, as I prepare for Erev Pesach I can not say more.

Thank G-d for that. Have a zissen Pesach.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Your opinion has been counted.
As is yours.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you.... But cash is better. [emoji56][emoji12][emoji3]
Old 04-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Default Could not agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsetc View Post
Respectfully, I've owned here since early 2015 and have seen numerous threads on this topic. My question is, if you don't like the gates, why did you buy here and/or why do you continue to live here?

And if the gates bother you that much and you think they should change, are you actively participating in the District government to make change, or just ranting on TOTV with your morning coffee hoping someone else will do something?

Personally, I like the arrangement which is why I am still here - Happy as a Clam.
No matter where there is no shortage of people who complain.
Most when asked do they have a better idea they are offended or say but, does................

Far as the gates, I wonder what the cost would be to have them all work the same-stay up or need to get a card signal after each vehicle. Also, going through those gates on a bike is at best dangerous.

Security? In most cases people thinking security are not criminals. Would someone intent on crime worry about breaking the cross bar? Heck they get broken so often they simply fall off the clip that holds them and the crew gets paid to snap them back in.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
And to you. Your post brought a smile to me.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
And to you. Your post brought a smile to me.
I like your post Velvet keep up the good work.

Ed my boy, what do I do on days that I have a rental since I'm envisioning your suggestion as being like my Sun Pass. Stuck on the window. I'm with ya cause I support all you Wise (Smart) Guys from Jersey. I picked up what you were laying down in your original post. I don't see where extending it slightly into the gate also is a bigga deal!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I like your post Velvet keep up the good work.

Ed my boy, what do I do on days that I have a rental since I'm envisioning your suggestion as being like my Sun Pass. Stuck on the window. I'm with ya cause I support all you Wise (Smart) Guys from Jersey. I picked up what you were laying down in your original post. I don't see where extending it slightly into the gate also is a bigga deal!
My father lived in an actual GATED COMMUNITY down in Pembroke Pines FL and every car had a little 1" x 3" electronic non-removable sticker attached to the inside window so you would drive up to the residents gate and go through without having to open windows, or dig for your card or have a card to lose or have it stolen or illegally pass to a friend who came to visit. Such security! Each home was allocated 2 "stickers" and could buy more if needed. It was a pleasure especially in the middle of "rainy season" when if you opened your window you could get very wet when on the way to dinner or a show.

That's what I'd like to see here but I understand it may be quite expensive to modify all the gates to "modern" capability and I know cash flow is tough here in TV for the Devs which is why I would like to see the gates remain but the CARDS go away (edit: unless updated to more modern technology).
Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I agree. Seems like an automatic gate would serve the same purpose of slowing down speeders in general and allowing time for the automatic cameras to take photos. Certainly there are frequent complaints from residents about the negatives associated with overuse of automatic windows, rain, card functionality, etc.

It's possible that personal and aggregate data from the cards is collected and perhaps used to identify traffic patterns or even for individual police investigations with a warrant. Whether or not those requirements outweigh the inconveniences is, alas, not my decision to make.
I suspect both your assumptions, collect data and help investigations, are part of it. Because we use cards it also takes longer to get through the gate, we must stop and therefore give the carts more flexibility. On those ends where the gates are automatic, cars don't stop so carts take longer to access. Now if we can just train the gate folks to not put up the gate in the visitor lane until the car is ready to move.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think there's no button at the Belvedere gate up by the high school.
There is a button at the Belvedere gate by the school. And also the golf cart gate has a button.

Just like Petsetc, we are happy as clams to winter in The Villages.

Last edited by Barefoot; 04-18-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

How many times is this post about gates going to appear??? We are NOT a gated community!!!!!!!
Gates primary purpose is traffic control that allows Golf carts to cross roads. Some traffic monitoring does occur BUT that is NOT its primary purpose. We have over 60,000 golf carts in this community! Can you imagine trying to cross a street without gates. There are a few and its scary. SO, keep the gates and move on folks...........
Old 04-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

What a great community we live in when this is one of the most common complaints.

Here is an idea. Rather than starting (yet another) on-line discussion, how about you go to the Service Center in Sumter Landing. Walk up to the nice ladies at the front desk and ask who the person is that can explain why cards are needed to open gates.
Closed Thread

Tags
cards, card, gates, gate, purpose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.