Empty Shelves

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Empty Shelves

My spouse and I went shopping at Publix at Rohan yesterday for a few staples. We thought we would wander the aisles with our list and pick up a few that we didn't have listed. Very interesting what the Villagers thought to stock up on. Of course all meats, two legged or four, gone. Dairy products, eggs, milk, but not the whole milk, curious. Pasta, pasta sauces, rice, but not the Texmati brands, tuna fish, but not the brands packed in oil. Breads, any and all, no paper products, wipes, etc. Certain cereals, gone. So credit being to the hoarders, it looked like they were selective, but so many followed suit? Was there a preferred list of life saving foods and dry goods that were listed? Frozen veggies, gone, and I believe anything round with pepperoni gone.
Hopefully the panic buying is somewhat abated, but hope is dim.

My next question is to the medical experts out there, is what is recommended for the coronavirus fever if you are unfortunate to contract it, Angel Soft, Scot, or Charmin Ultra? Hate to have the wrong one and waste time in the application.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:25 AM
Platinum member

I noticed the same tendencies when I shopped last week. Will try again tomorrow and see if the hoarders are still out there buying. Just how much ramen noodles does a person need anyway?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

My husband just returned from Colony Publix. The staff were removing multiple items from peoples carts. One women had 10 packages of bacon. They took 8 from her.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
My spouse and I went shopping at Publix at Rohan yesterday for a few staples. We thought we would wander the aisles with our list and pick up a few that we didn't have listed. Very interesting what the Villagers thought to stock up on. Of course all meats, two legged or four, gone. Dairy products, eggs, milk, but not the whole milk, curious. Pasta, pasta sauces, rice, but not the Texmati brands, tuna fish, but not the brands packed in oil. Breads, any and all, no paper products, wipes, etc. Certain cereals, gone. So credit being to the hoarders, it looked like they were selective, but so many followed suit? Was there a preferred list of life saving foods and dry goods that were listed? Frozen veggies, gone, and I believe anything round with pepperoni gone.

My next question is to the medical experts out there, is what is recommended for the coronavirus fever if you are unfortunate to contract it, Angel Soft, Scot, or Charmin Ultra? Hate to have the wrong one and waste time in the application.
I’m not sure “hoarding” is the issue and I don’t believe many people have thought the whole scenario through. Has anyone taken into consideration that a huge number of people are now cooking at home who ordinarily dine out in The Villages and all over the country? People are also asked to limit trips into the public arenas and, I would assume, are trying to shop for an extended length of time to serve those purposes when they do shop. We shopped over a week ago planning on a two week time period and are watching the larder supply shrink. You are probably witnessing life in the USA without restaurants. Hopefully, we will all look out for each other.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
My husband just returned from Colony Publix. The staff were removing multiple items from peoples carts. One women had 10 packages of bacon. They took 8 from her.
Good for Publix, I wish they had started earlier before people wiped out the paper goods. Publix at Colony must have run out of wipes themselves, the ones when you enter the store, as employees were spraying the carts with sanitizers.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 AM

The hoarders be damned. Must understand that most people live in a constant state of fear. When a disaster strikes their first, and only concern is for themselves and and they never even consider their fellow human beings. Just run to the store and empty the shelves without even a thought toward others. This behavior is reprehensible, yet very common among people here in the villages. It appears that a “every man for himself” attitude is prevalent here and i see it everywhere i go. From hoarding seats in the town square, to hoarding pew end sears in church, to going an hour early to venues to hoard the best seats, etc, etc, etc.
People have to learn to live more kindly lives and stop thinking they are the only one on earth.
Apparently we need police at the supermarket checkout counter to stop hoarding and selfishness among our neighbors. Lets let those who are most in need get what they need to survive. However, human nature being such as it is, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post

They're not really hording at this point. At least not like they were when the initial panic hit. They're only allowed 1 or 2 packages of any given item per person. And no rainchecks.

What's happening, is the hording occurred weeks ago and the people who did NOT horde are now running low, and need to buy what they normally buy when they run low. And the folks who normally stock up when there are sales, and didn't do that when the hording started, are now in need of restocking. Combine with people who have visitors coming (please tell them not to come, for everyone's safety!) and need to stock up for next month's visits...

None of them can get any, and the horders still show up hoping to get that extra one 4-pack to add to their already plentiful collection.

As soon as the shipment arrives, the grocery clerks unpack them from the pallets, put them on their Uboats, and roll them out to the aisle. As soon as one person sees the word "Charmin" on that Uboat, all hell breaks loose. The TP never even makes it to the aisle, let alone the shelves.

The cashiers will NOT allow customers to buy more than one pack, and the grocery clerks do emphasize that to the customers while they're taking the packs off the Uboats. Invariably someone sneaks away with a second pack but they are confiscated when they get to the register. And then - on their way to being returned to the shelves, they are immediately snatched up by one of the folks who didn't get to the Uboat on time.

It's not quite as bad for cereal and tuna and soups, but it's definitely as bad as with baby wipes.

To anyone who lives in my section of the Villages - if you are SINCERELY AND TRULY low on TP (meaning - down to your last roll once the one in the holder is empty), please send me a private message. I can give you a roll. I have a limited "extra" supply of my own, and it's not Charmin or anything plush or comfy. It's the generic single-ply stuff. I couldn't stand the idea of one of my neighbors having to deal with no toilet paper in the house. We are a community of neighbors. What's mine is absolutely still mine - but if I have a surplus and you need it, I can spare some.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Just for comparison...

I happen to be in St. Pete on Monday and I stopped into one of my favorite delis; Mazzaro. The meat display was full, the prepared food displays (lasagna, stuffed shells, etc.) full again. They bake their own bread daily, FULL! All the shelves were full!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 AM

You can't fix STUPID. Appears that Villagers don't understand that Corona virus does not cause diarrhea. If you go shopping to hoard toilet paper it's probably safe to go for a couple packages when you are close to running out. Also, Toweling paper and paper napkins are likely to cause toilet plumbing issues. Why waste money on them when you can always resort to the Daily Sun.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

To all the crazy people who literally shop daily to take all of the paper products, wipes, and multiple dairy, I hope stores will not take returns as they have in the past.

New thought, those who damn the people who shop at big box stores, and there is no need for them, because you don’t need that quantity.

Apparently there are places put bulk items and where to store them. Or maybe you have made forts out of toilet paper in your living room. After all your neighbors won’t know how crazy you are, because people are not social for 14 days.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:10 PM

xxx
Old 03-19-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoehring View Post
The hoarders be damned. Must understand that most people live in a constant state of fear. When a disaster strikes their first, and only concern is for themselves and and they never even consider their fellow human beings. Just run to the store and empty the shelves without even a thought toward others. This behavior is reprehensible, yet very common among people here in the villages. It appears that a “every man for himself” attitude is prevalent here and i see it everywhere i go. From hoarding seats in the town square, to hoarding pew end sears in church, to going an hour early to venues to hoard the best seats, etc, etc, etc.
People have to learn to live more kindly lives and stop thinking they are the only one on earth.
Apparently we need police at the supermarket checkout counter to stop hoarding and selfishness among our neighbors. Lets let those who are most in need get what they need to survive. However, human nature being such as it is, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
This is happening all over the country.....not just in TV. Wake up!
Old 03-19-2020, 02:17 PM

"Or maybe you have made forts out of toilet paper in your living room. "
Old 03-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Good for Publix, I wish they had started earlier before people wiped out the paper goods. Publix at Colony must have run out of wipes themselves, the ones when you enter the store, as employees were spraying the carts with sanitizers.
People maybe were taking bunches for themselves....
Old 03-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
You can't fix STUPID. Appears that Villagers don't understand that Corona virus does not cause diarrhea.

Yes it does.

Tags
listed, list, brands, products, pasta

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.