Estate ,garage and yard sales helping spread the Virus

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Default Estate ,garage and yard sales helping spread the Virus

Dear Villagers , I want to ask you all to help out with this problem . Yesterday I paused by a Estate sale in the area where I was walking because I was just in disbelieve as I observed what was going on . There were about 30 to 40 people ,they were all touching the items for sale and putting back the ones they had no interest in . then at the checkout money changed hands . There were 18 adds in yesterdays paper for these kind of events and another 11 adds in todays paper . All these people could be potentially carriers of the Virus . Lets just say 40 people that come in contact with 2 other people that have no clue that they were at these kind of events that would make 80 additional carriers if those people come in contact with 2 more that would give an additional 160 …….do you get it ? please tell your friends not to attend those events and/or contact the paper not to print these adds until this situation is under control
please be safe
Thank you
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage

They should be halted during the emergency, time to bite more than one bullet--that bargain might be the most expensive bargain in a person's life
Old 03-21-2020, 07:44 AM

These sales must stop immediately! Not only is this irresponsible, but gatherings of more than 10 could result in a fine or arrest in some areas. Please be smart and watch out for your neighbors. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage

The Daily Sun should pull the plug on all adds for garage & estate sales immediately
Old 03-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
The Daily Sun should pull the plug on all adds for garage & estate sales immediately
I think a lot of people don't see the big picture here. An "estate sale" is usually held after the estate owner dies. The government, utility companies, mortgage lenders, credit card companies, etc... want to get their money from the estate. Often upon death, all debts become immediately due in full.

Whoever inherits the estate, also inherits the debt unless an Executor is able to pay it off from bank assets. Once the actual monetary assets are depleted, the rest has to be handled so as to minimize tax responsibility and maximize whatever the beneficiary is allowed to receive.

The only way to do that is to sell the assets. That is what an estate sale is for. It's to get rid of things that belonged to someone who is now dead, so that the grandchildren aren't stuck with the burden of upkeep on things they can't or won't keep.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 AM

The grandchildren are not burdened by the upkeep of property that ends up in these Estate sales. They are choosing to sell the property in this way so that they can inherit more financially.
Holding Estate sales now just seems to not be in the best interest of the public at large. If the family must get rid of the items immediately, then I suggest they give the property away to charities. A hard thing to do-but right now we are all being asked to do what is hard.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I think a lot of people don't see the big picture here. An "estate sale" is usually held after the estate owner dies. The government, utility companies, mortgage lenders, credit card companies, etc... want to get their money from the estate. Often upon death, all debts become immediately due in full.

Whoever inherits the estate, also inherits the debt unless an Executor is able to pay it off from bank assets. Once the actual monetary assets are depleted, the rest has to be handled so as to minimize tax responsibility and maximize whatever the beneficiary is allowed to receive.

The only way to do that is to sell the assets. That is what an estate sale is for. It's to get rid of things that belonged to someone who is now dead, so that the grandchildren aren't stuck with the burden of upkeep on things they can't or won't keep.
Thank you for your reply ,I think we all know why those estate sales are here for but I also really believe that the percentage of kids/grandkids that walk away with debt rather then money is very small in the Villages ,but all of that is besides the point . I feel that if I can safe only one person from getting sick or even dead with bringing awareness to this problem then it is well worth the protentional monetary loss of money . What do you think all those service related people are going through . This is NOT everyday life ,like the president said WE ARE AT WAR some of us didn't get this message
Old 03-21-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debelg View Post
Thank you for your reply ,I think we all know why those estate sales are here for but I also really believe that the percentage of kids/grandkids that walk away with debt rather then money is very small in the Villages ,but all of that is besides the point . I feel that if I can safe only one person from getting sick or even dead with bringing awareness to this problem then it is well worth the protentional monetary loss of money . What do you think all those service related people are going through . This is NOT everyday life ,like the president said WE ARE AT WAR some of us didn't get this message
I would say that too many believe any messaging of inconvenience does not apply to them.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

My understanding is that you can only inherit debt if your signature is on the account.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

the parking lot at Publix on Kristine Way is packed with cars, I could not imagine how crowded it is inside and would not attempt to even enter that store. It is 100 times worse than any estate sale and I would guess that people are touching everything in the stores too. Not much they can do about the crowded conditions inside the grocery stores and those conditions will help to spread the virus or the flu.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage

Monetary obligations can be fixed, you can't fix death--no more garage & estate sales--there are lots of people who live here are absolutely clueless
Old 03-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Monetary obligations can be fixed, you can't fix death--no more garage & estate sales--there are lots of people who live here are absolutely clueless
I think if the government can delay tax day by 3 months, close restaurants and entertainment venues, limit gatherings to 10 or less and in some places order you to stay at home, then they can require creditors to delay any collection proceedings after a person dies.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:33 AM
Sage

So correct--
Old 03-21-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
This is not the case in Florida. If the deceased person’s estate doesn’t have enough assets or cash to pay all the debts then in almost all circumstances those debts go unpaid and cannot be transferred to the people who inherit the estate. Per the Federal Trade Commission website - “Does a debt go away when the debtor dies? No. The estate of the deceased person owes the debt. If there isn't enough money in the estate to cover the debt, it typically goes unpaid.

There are a few rare exceptions such as having co-signed for the debt or living in a community property state like California (Florida is not a community property state.) Now I am not an attorney and this shouldn’t be construed as legal advice so you should seek the advice of a Florida Elder law attorney if you are involved in settling or inheriting either part or the entirety of an estate.

Last edited by Fishers2tall; 03-21-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:21 PM

There are two motivators in life, fear and greed! Greed is obviously taking over on this issue but fear and common sense of spreading COVID-19 should prevail.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, contact, events, adds, paper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.