An Open Letter To The Villages Development Corporation and The Villages Air Gun Club

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2020, 10:06 AM
Default An Open Letter To The Villages Development Corporation and The Villages Air Gun Club

I live in a village served by the Rio Grande Postal Station and visit there most every day.

For approximately a year, I have noticed and discussed with my neighbors the situation where the VDC, in concert with the VACG, intends to expand the gun range. I enjoy a walk through the field adjacent to the gun range as the field is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.

I understand that a section of the field was sold to the VDC for the project. I have seen the surveyor's stakes.

Now, we are advised that construction will begin on March 23rd and that entry is prohibited to "this area".

All of this has occurred with an expenditure of "our" Amenity Fee funds, to the sum of $466,386.00.

I call on the VDC and the VACG to put this project on hold.

During this time of national emergency. wouldn't the money be better spent helping others?

Here is my suggestion.

The VDC starts a not for profit operation that delivers items and food to the shut-ins, infirm and needy in The Villages. The VDC and volunteers can use their vast business, organizational, and technology talents to ramp-up this venture ASAP.

A portion of the one-half million dollars could provide income to the wage earners whose lively hood has been affected by the closings. Some could collect the items, others could do the delivery, a few would handle the calls and emails. Only those aid recipients would be served after being verified from a home visit or a doctor's affidavit.

Think of the goodwill to both the VDC and the VACG from the positive press received.

And, VDC, think of the tax benefits.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I live in a village served by the Rio Grande Postal Station and visit there most every day.

For approximately a year, I have noticed and discussed with my neighbors the situation where the VDC, in concert with the VACG, intends to expand the gun range. I enjoy a walk through the field adjacent to the gun range as the field is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.

I understand that a section of the field was sold to the VDC for the project. I have seen the surveyor's stakes.

Now, we are advised that construction will begin on March 23rd and that entry is prohibited to "this area".

All of this has occurred with an expenditure of "our" Amenity Fee funds, to the sum of $466,386.00.

I call on the VDC and the VACG to put this project on hold.

During this time of national emergency. wouldn't the money be better spent helping others?

Here is my suggestion.

The VDC starts a not for profit operation that delivers items and food to the shut-ins, infirm and needy in The Villages. The VDC and volunteers can use their vast business, organizational, and technology talents to ramp-up this venture ASAP.

A portion of the one-half million dollars could provide income to the wage earners whose lively hood has been affected by the closings. Some could collect the items, others could do the delivery, a few would handle the calls and emails. Only those aid recipients would be served after being verified from a home visit or a doctor's affidavit.

Think of the goodwill to both the VDC and the VACG from the positive press received.

And, VDC, think of the tax benefits.
Why are you walking in an environmental nesting area in the first place
Old 03-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

How many construction projects would you like to hold up, and give the cash away? Or is it just this one to suit someones self servance?
Steve
Old 03-19-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Why are you walking in an environmental nesting area in the first place
Isn't that private property?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 AM

Good intention I am sure, but very bad idea for too many reasons to list here. Good news is it will not happen
Old 03-19-2020, 01:17 PM
Platinum member

I believe there are a few incorrect statements in the original post. The project is being controlled and financed by the AAC. The Villages Development Corporation has nothing to do with this project. The funds being used are coming out of the monthly amenity fees.

The area of the expansion has been a topic of discussion for a while. It has been considered an unofficial dog park. A previous poster was correct. The area is/was private property. When they are taking their walk through this area they are technically trespassing.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I believe there are a few incorrect statements in the original post. The project is being controlled and financed by the AAC. The Villages Development Corporation has nothing to do with this project. The funds being used are coming out of the monthly amenity fees.

The area of the expansion has been a topic of discussion for a while. It has been considered an unofficial dog park. A previous poster was correct. The area is/was private property. When they are taking their walk through this area they are technically trespassing.
There is no technically trespassing..Either you are or your not
No grey area......
Old 03-19-2020, 02:18 PM

I guess we would all be better off if all the development money was spent on stuff other than what is is/was meant for. And I guess you should be the person to decide what is good an/or bad.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:29 AM

I absolutely love this and also call for stopping this project during this time of hardship. I’d like the villages take part in helping at this time.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:45 AM

How do they get permits to destroy the field which is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.
Personally, I'd much rather protect eagles and gopher tortoises in THEIR habitat than have a club for air guns or whatever.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
There is no technically trespassing..Either you are or your not
No grey area......
Doesn’t technically mean you are? It doesn’t imply maybe?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 AM

The property could be sold to make a strip mall with the proceeds going to help some charity that I deem worthy...

Bless your kind heart, and yes everyone should find some way of helping others but those are INDIVIDUAL choices and should not be mandated. The difference is charity vs confiscation.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana33 View Post
How do they get permits to destroy the field which is a natural habitat for the eagles and the gopher tortoise population, both protected Florida species.
Personally, I'd much rather protect eagles and gopher tortoises in THEIR habitat than have a club for air guns or whatever.
Did you ever think that YOUR home was once an area enjoyed by eagles and turtles?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:55 AM

Thanks for all of the posts as most cause me to chuckle. Let's ask the developer to donate the unused amenity fees not paid for the music on the squares, unpaid wages to those who had their hours cut, lower water bill due to not putting water on the outdoor courts to the same use as the original post. I am guessing it will gain the same traction. Stay safe, everyone!
Old 03-20-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed henry View Post
I guess we would all be better off if all the development money was spent on stuff other than what is is/was meant for. And I guess you should be the person to decide what is good an/or bad.

For the love of god, couldn't you have stated this a little nicer ? Seems like some people have to be so snarky..
I think the new term is gaslighter....
Closed Thread

Tags
vdc, vacg, field, villages, gun

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.