Ethanol Free Gas

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 AM
Smile My input on ethanol

First, your cart or auto will run on both the ethanol or non-ethanol, as long as you follow the octane recommendations. Higher octane is OK but not lower. Lowerwill cause pre-ignition (ping).
The non-ethanol gasoline is primarily for use in vehicles or small gas engines that are vented. If a tank is vented, and you use ethanol gasoline, the ethanol will absorb oxygen via the vented tank, and form a cloudy substance that will clog your system. If you don't believe me, use it in a chain saw, and leave it in there for a few months, and you will have to spoon it out of the tank.
All autos in the last 30 years have tanks that are not vented, so the ethanol is OK. So modern autos can burn either one. So can golf carts with non-vented tanks. Use ethanol in a tank that is vented, and you are asking for problems. If you do use ethanol in a vented system, runit dry everytime you use it, then put some engineered fuel in it and run it for an additional 5 minutes until it runs dry. Get that at Lowes or Depot. It's expensive, but will save you a lot of grief. I always use it in my generator, after using ethanol gasoline.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I worked at Ford for 38 yrs. in the Dyno Lab & we always used high test in our test engines because it burned cleaner. Ethanol cuts the life from the engine, but really, how would we know because most engines today will run between 150,000 to maybe 300,000, some less some more. When we tore the engines down to inspect we wanted to see the wear not what gas does to the engine. They had an article in the paper a while back that explained this very question & the professionals said the same exact thing that I just said. But really, most people get rid of their cars after about 6 to 8 yrs. to buy a new one. So if you're not having any trouble with your present car from burning cheap gas don't worry about it.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Can one safely use ethanol free gas in a car?
I use the ethanol free gas sold at the villiges golf cart stations my 2014 runs great. Costs more but well worth it.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoyers View Post
First, your cart or auto will run on both the ethanol or non-ethanol, as long as you follow the octane recommendations. Higher octane is OK but not lower. Lowerwill cause pre-ignition (ping).

The non-ethanol gasoline is primarily for use in vehicles or small gas engines that are vented. If a tank is vented, and you use ethanol gasoline, the ethanol will absorb oxygen via the vented tank, and form a cloudy substance that will clog your system. If you don't believe me, use it in a chain saw, and leave it in there for a few months, and you will have to spoon it out of the tank.

All autos in the last 30 years have tanks that are not vented, so the ethanol is OK. So modern autos can burn either one. So can golf carts with non-vented tanks. Use ethanol in a tank that is vented, and you are asking for problems. If you do use ethanol in a vented system, runit dry everytime you use it, then put some engineered fuel in it and run it for an additional 5 minutes until it runs dry. Get that at Lowes or Depot. It's expensive, but will save you a lot of grief. I always use it in my generator, after using ethanol gasoline.

Thank you, I didn't know that. Up north I always ran the ethanol in my Chevys and never had a problem. As soon as I filled up a few times with the ethanol here my car stumbled at lower rpm. I checked everything and couldn't find a problem. So, I tried the pure gasoline one day about 3/4 tank worth mixed with the 1/4 ethanol and within a few miles of driving the hesitation and stumbling went away. Haven't had the problem since I switched over.
I just don't understand why the ethanol worked up north for so many years and here not. Any theories on this are appreciated.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 09:24 AM
Sage

We should start a new forum dedicated to those of us who own, work on and/or simply love pre converter classic automobiles.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM

My aunt Ethel had a lot of gas before she passed away.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Gold member
Default What you are doing is nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Great post. That is why I never use ethanol in our golf carts. Also, every time we drive to our Villages home I fill up 3 5 gallon gas cans with ethanol free gas from the Villages golf cart pump and bring them back north to run in my lawn mower, chainsaw, weed wacker, leaf blower, etc.. We are lucky to be able to get ethanol free gas here, not available in many places.
Gasoline is explosive. At a certain level any spark in your car will ignite the vapors. The switches in your car are not explosion proof. There is a spark every time you turn something on-radio, gps, dome light.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Gold member
Default There is no shortage of mis-information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Good info above.

My experience:

Had two golf carts 2010Yamaha and 2011 EZGO
ran both on 87 Octane from Shell with ethanol for 5/6 years . Approx 10,000 mi on each. Not a single problem. Now have a 2016 Yamaha 4 seater(carbureted), 15 months-4250 mi. Same gas- same experience. Not a single problem
Most of the information here is guesses and based on information. A lot of that information comes from sources that are trying to sell you something.

RE: Gasoline
All the brands actually come out of the same pipe. What is different is the additives-detergents. According to what I read a few years ago-I hope it is fact-claimed to be based on chemical tests. Of the fuels available around here Shell and Chevron have the best detergent packages. As I recall marathon was way down on the list.
RE: Alcohol percentage.
I had trouble with the 10% fuel in my old outboard. The rubber gaskets failed as that engine was never designed for alcohol containing fuel. A re builder kit with proper gaskets for the 10% fuel and problem was solved.
They are now talking about 15% alcohol fuel. NOTHING CAN SCREW THINGS UP THE WAY GOVERNMENT CAN.
I'm sure the corn lobby would love to have our UP FOR SALE GOVERNMENT pass legislation for 15% alcohol fuel.
My 2011 Chevy says specifically NOT TO USE IT.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:03 PM

The quick answer is yes. . . there are some "however's" involved. The first is mentioned earlier depending on the octane required by your car. The second is where would you find it. Another is, if it is premium gas, you would probably be wasting a lot of money unless required by the manufacturer. a word to the wise. Many cars manufactured in the last few years are considered E-85 compatible, to which there is a caveat. In my case, (new GMC Terrain), I started from the beginning to use E-85 but my fuel mileage was never close to what the manufacturer, after many discussions with people that I trusted to know what they were talking about, using E-85 may save at the pump but be costly in the long run, (MPG). Sorry I don't remember exactly what the reason was but as I said I discussed the problem with persons I considered "Experts".
Old 09-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Gasoline is explosive. At a certain level any spark in your car will ignite the vapors. The switches in your car are not explosion proof. There is a spark every time you turn something on-radio, gps, dome light.

Maybe a pickup truck ?

Closed Thread

Tags
ethanol, gas, free, car, safely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.