Evening with The Developer

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The house you built 20 years ago was sound and solid, you sold it long ago and have no financial interest, ownership rights, or ongoing responsibility in it, you receive a letter from the current owner who says the roof is leaking and they want you to pay for repairing it because you are now somehow responsible for it and have money, how do you respond? I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the residents of this community. The issue isn't that the Developer is responsible, the issue is that the politicians running Marion county have refused to do their jobs and take care of the issues of the residents in their county.

My guess is most would toss the letter in the trash as foolish nonsense. How is the Calumet Grove sinkhole any different? Because the Developer is still around and is successful they should pay for everything that happens here in perpetuity, absolutely ridiculous.

Once again, as has been said many times, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bridge that crosses the lake, there never has been. It is an erosion issue on the banks of the man-made island that was constructed around the center pilings. The bridge is fine and would continue to be fine even if the lake completely reclaimed the entire island. You demonstrate a lack an understanding of the structure and agreements in place that operates The Villages and the CDDs, while I am sure the residents of CDD4 would love to share the ongoing costs they are incurring because of the sink hole problem with all the other CDDs, that simply won't happen because no inter-local government agreement exist to allow that to happen. The converse is also true of costs incurred south of CR466 not being the responsibility of the northern most CDDs.

Outside of any agreed to warranty period, once the lands and properties are transferred to either the County or the CDD, the Developers involvement and responsibilities are complete. Any issues, problems, or repairs are then the responsibilities of the governing body. We the residents are that governing body through our elected representatives. It is not the Developer's responsibility to respond to or address the complaints of residents in areas of the development long ago completed and transferred to other hands. That responsibility belongs to County government, the CDDs, and in some cases the City where the residents reside.

Yes, the Evening with the Developer is basically an advertising and feel good event. They put information out that helps quell rumors and speculation about what they are doing now and sometime in the near future, most of these we all benefit from in one way or another. In my opinion, it serves a more important purpose, it lets people know that they community is still alive and growing, for what doesn't grow most assuredly dies. Yes, this is a business, their business, and yes they are in it to make a profit as is every business. Many that live among us have forgotten this fact of how the real world works now that they've retired. Unless they have an existing warranty responsibility the Developer owes us nothing that wasn't written into the the contract to purchase your home.

The Developer have proven themselves responsible stewards of the future growth of The Villages. It's not hard to see what happens when a responsible approach isn't taken, go to the Fort Myers area and drive through the Lehigh Acres development and you will see what that failure looks like. We are fortunate that this development has been so successful and continues to both grow and be run by an effective government system.

Yes, I too was disappointed with the lack of new content and information that was put out at the event. I had hoped for a lot more to be relieved but nothing was. I guess I have to just keep digging for information and seeing what I can from the air with the drone.

You have made some excellent points in your post.

I don't think anyone would agree that a 20-year old leaking roof could be compared to a sinkhole that appears years later. I am not an engineer, but I don't believe sinkholes usually appear until years later due to a number of different circumstances. From the onset of that problem in Calumet Grove, I don't recall the developer addressing the situation as being helpful to the residents who were affected. Correct me if I am wrong. And yes -- Marion County and others are part of the equation, too.

I am aware that the Morse bridge per se is not the problem, but the issue is the erosion. I guess I don't understand the structure of why only certain CDDs are responsible for paying for the repair. I would really have to be aware of and read and comprehend the agreement you have mentioned. And how would a potential buyer know about this agreement with the result being they would be held responsible for paying for this repair down the road (no pun intended)?

With the millions of people traversing this bridge on a daily basis, the average person would think as I have . . . that if the developer owns the land and the county owns the roadway, they should be responsible for the repair. My thinking is only based on logic, not a written agreement with which I am not familiar.

I vividly recall what has taken place in Lehigh Acres. I remember salespeople walking around in resort areas up north in the summertime, selling lots to the poor suckers who believed the propaganda that was told to them! Very sad.

As far as An Evening with the Developer is concerned -- it is what it is and will never change, I'm sure. I agree with you that it is designed to be a "feel good" event for residents and I think it mostly does that. Personally, I would like to glean more "meaty" information but that is not their style or intent to give.

Again -- thanks for your post.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post

I don't think anyone would agree that a 20-year old leaking roof could be compared to a sinkhole that appears years later. I am not an engineer, but I don't believe sinkholes usually appear until years later due to a number of different circumstances. From the onset of that problem in Calumet Grove, I don't recall the developer addressing the situation as being helpful to the residents who were affected. Correct me if I am wrong. And yes -- Marion County and others are part of the equation, too.

I am aware that the Morse bridge per se is not the problem, but the issue is the erosion. I guess I don't understand the structure of why only certain CDDs are responsible for paying for the repair. I would really have to be aware of and read and comprehend the agreement you have mentioned. And how would a potential buyer know about this agreement with the result being they would be held responsible for paying for this repair down the road (no pun intended)?

With the millions of people traversing this bridge on a daily basis, the average person would think as I have . . . that if the developer owns the land and the county owns the roadway, they should be responsible for the repair. My thinking is only based on logic, not a written agreement with which I am not familiar.

I vividly recall what has taken place in Lehigh Acres. I remember salespeople walking around in resort areas up north in the summertime, selling lots to the poor suckers who believed the propaganda that was told to them! Very sad.

As far as An Evening with the Developer is concerned -- it is what it is and will never change, I'm sure. I agree with you that it is designed to be a "feel good" event for residents and I think it mostly does that. Personally, I would like to glean more "meaty" information but that is not their style or intent to give.

Sinkholes can appear at any time and are predominantly in West Central Florida. They often appear after a heavy rain after an extended dry spell. The developer has no responsibility to address matters on sinkholes on private property. Insurance can be purchased. Same for lightning and flooding.

The Evening with the Developer has been going on since I have been here and I don't think Gary Morse ever hosted it, and he has only been gone about five years now. The last one wasn't as interesting as previous ones were. The Morses do not relish attention and it is good business to keep plans to yourself especially when you are acquiring real estate.

One of the things I like about The Villages is the lack of the "hard sell". I hate, Hate, HATE pushy realtors.

I am not one tiny bit worried about the bridge, do not think there is a conspiracy and will be repaired well with as little cost as possible to us. WHY? Because there have been no reasons to think otherwise.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:

Dang.. How big is the Villages? I live in the Seattle Metro area and we don't even get millions daily on the I-5 corridor.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sinkholes can appear at any time and are predominantly in West Central Florida. They often appear after a heavy rain after an extended dry spell. The developer has no responsibility to address matters on sinkholes on private property. Insurance can be purchased. Same for lightning and flooding.

[B]The State of the Developer[/B] has been going on since I have been here and I don't think Gary Morse ever hosted it. The last one wasn't as interesting as previous ones were. The Morses do not relish attention and it is good business to keep plans to yourself especially when you are acquiring real estate.

One of the things I like about The Villages is the lack of the "hard sell". I hate, Hate, HATE pushy realtors.

I am not one tiny bit worried about the bridge, do not think there is a conspiracy and will be repaired well with as little cost as possible to us. WHY? Because there have been no reasons to think otherwise.

Sinkholes are not necessarily predominant in west central Florida.
Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. have had an abundance of them.

What is this "The State of the Developer" that has been going on for years?
How do you know the Morses don't "relish" attention?
Who mentioned keeping real estate plans secretive?
The huge sinkhole in Calumet Grove was in the street in front of two homes, NOT on private property.
Who mentioned pushy real estate agents in this thread?
Where did your "conspiracy" theory regarding the Morse Bridge come from?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Sinkholes are not necessarily predominant in west central Florida.
Texas, Alabama, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. have had an abundance of them.

What is this "The State of the Developer" that has been going on for years?
How do you know the Morses don't "relish" attention?
Who mentioned keeping real estate plans secretive?
The huge sinkhole in Calumet Grove was in the street in front of two homes, NOT on private property.
Who mentioned pushy real estate agents in this thread?
Where did your "conspiracy" theory regarding the Morse Bridge come from?
I was not clear. Haven't had time to drink this coffee this morning.

Here are several maps of the predominance of sinkholes in FLORIDA.
map of sinkholes in florida 2018 - Bing images

The Morses do not seem to seek attention from Villagers, the press, or anyone.

Allow me to correct my words. I meant "Evening with the Developer".

I mentioned that it was wise to play close to the vest when attempting to acquire a lot of land. ME. I mentioned that. I also said I don't like PUSHY sellers of any kind. ESPECIALLY REALTORS. HATE hard sell.

Now I need to drink my coffee.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Default sinkhole

Now this is a sinkhole!!!

Pictures: Winter Park sinkhole - Orlando Sentinel
Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post

Was wondering what happened to my Porsche.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was not clear. Haven't had time to drink this coffee this morning.

Here are several maps of the predominance of sinkholes in FLORIDA.
map of sinkholes in florida 2018 - Bing images

The Morses do not seem to seek attention from Villagers, the press, or anyone.

Allow me to correct my words. I meant "Evening with the Developer".

I mentioned that it was wise to play close to the vest when attempting to acquire a lot of land. ME. I mentioned that. I also said I don't like PUSHY sellers of any kind. ESPECIALLY REALTORS. HATE hard sell.

Now I need to drink my coffee.
When Walt Disney wanted to buy huge parcels of land to create Disney World, he had several straw buyers do it for him. I actually learned this from watching a documentary about Walt Disney.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Was there any mention of the conditions of the golf courses ?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Was there any mention of the conditions of the golf courses ?
The Championship courses and those south of SR44 belong to the developer and those would be the only ones they would have commented on, if that was the purpose of the event, but it wasn't.

The executive course north of SR44 belong to either SLCDD or VCCDD, neither of which were involved in the presentation, and again that wasn't the purpose of the event.

I've played Sandhill and Roosevelt this week, both course have made a tremendous comeback, were in great shape, and were a please to play. The courses take a beating with full tee time schedules and less rain in the high season.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:

I highly recommend attending Resident Accadamy. So much is explained and you will learn just how much misunderstanding exists among the residents.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I highly recommend attending Resident Accadamy. So much is explained and you will learn just how much misunderstanding exists among the residents.
From Village Community Development Districts
Resident Academy
The Resident Academy is an interactive program for residents who are interested in learning about their local government. Our ultimate goal for the Resident Academy is to alleviate the confusion, questions, or mis-information that exists throughout the community regarding the responsibilities and functions of the Community Development Districts. During this program, participants will receive an in-depth look at the various District Departments and how they work together to make this the best community to live, work and play. Department Directors will also be available to answer questions or make appointments for those seeking additional information. The following schedule gives a description of the departments that participants will have the opportunity to visit and interact with. If you are interested in becoming a part of this exciting program, please call the Customer Service Center at 753-4508 or stop by the office at 984 Old Mill Run.
Introduction to District operations and structure:
History of Special Districts
Benefits of Special Districts
17 Special Districts
Village Center Community Development District
Sumter Landing Community Development District
Brownwood Community Development District
Districts 1-13
North Sumter Utility Dependent District
Presentations from the following District departments:
Human Resources
Utilities
Public Safety
Landscaping
District Clerk
Budget
Recreation
Community Watch
Customer Service
Finance
Executive Golf
Property Management
Community Standards
Interactive Tours:
North Sumter Utilities
Fire Headquarters
Register Now!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
From Village Community Development Districts
Resident Academy
The Resident Academy is an interactive program for residents who are interested in learning about their local government. Our ultimate goal for the Resident Academy is to alleviate the confusion, questions, or mis-information that exists throughout the community regarding the responsibilities and functions of the Community Development Districts. During this program, participants will receive an in-depth look at the various District Departments and how they work together to make this the best community to live, work and play. Department Directors will also be available to answer questions or make appointments for those seeking additional information. The following schedule gives a description of the departments that participants will have the opportunity to visit and interact with. If you are interested in becoming a part of this exciting program, please call the Customer Service Center at 753-4508 or stop by the office at 984 Old Mill Run.
Introduction to District operations and structure:
History of Special Districts
Benefits of Special Districts
17 Special Districts
Village Center Community Development District
Sumter Landing Community Development District
Brownwood Community Development District
Districts 1-13
North Sumter Utility Dependent District
Presentations from the following District departments:
Human Resources
Utilities
Public Safety
Landscaping
District Clerk
Budget
Recreation
Community Watch
Customer Service
Finance
Executive Golf
Property Management
Community Standards
Interactive Tours:
North Sumter Utilities
Fire Headquarters
Register Now!
You are going to confuse folks by suggesting they deal with facts, which as has been said on this forum are not all that important.

Could set a nasty trend....imagine allowing facts to cloud your already made up mind. Frightning
Old 05-19-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
You are going to confuse folks by suggesting they deal with facts, which as has been said on this forum are not all that important.

Could set a nasty trend....imagine allowing facts to cloud your already made up mind. Frightning
Agree...lol. I also recommend attending the Resident Academy and add that you should every 2 - 3 years. I'm currently doing it every 2 and the new and evolving facts keep me current plus the manual they provide is a great reference book.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

Frightening indeed.
Closed Thread

Tags
presentation, months, cancel, substance, reschedule

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.