Evening with The Developer

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Completely agree - waste of time. No new info, just propaganda about how great & responsive the Morse family is. We're newbies, full timers, & thought it would be beneficial to learn about our new home, our new community, & the future. Baloney!

Will not wait in line for thier free tickets ever again.
Welcome to The Villages...….otherwise what do you think????
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 AM

No golf courses?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
My grandparents had a similar success story on a smaller scale, and never needed publicity and advertisements or sycophants to draw accolades. In fact my grandfather would turn over in his grave if heaven ever saw me using his name to promote ANYTHING at all, ever. It is just - dark, and unattractive.
Different times, different place, different business. If he received accolades it's because he received publicity, even if it was word of mouth. All business owners work hard to create a legacy and, unless your grandparents didn't need an income, do what is necessary to increase their revenue. You do or did the same.....unless you inherited a lot of money.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Of course they are business people, and successful ones and we all benefit from the risks they take, their development skill and what the diversity of fun they provide. Is it perfect, no......but still better than anyplace else we all have looked at or we wouldn't be here. Not sure adoration is the right word but definitely respect and gratitude is due.
I agree that we owe the Developers respect and gratitude for taking the risks and having the vision to make this an extremely successful and fun retirement community.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM

I would like to email Mark Morse directly but he seems to be very insulated. Where is his office? How can I email him?
Old 05-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Cool There is Nothing as Constant as Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy n Ron View Post
Not sure I understand all the adoration of this family. They are business people, not friends. I need some kool aid....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
My grandparents had a similar success story on a smaller scale, and never needed publicity and advertisements or sycophants to draw accolades. In fact my grandfather would turn over in his grave if heaven ever saw me using his name to promote ANYTHING at all, ever. It is just - dark, and unattractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Completely agree - waste of time. No new info, just propaganda about how great & responsive the Morse family is. We're newbies, full timers, & thought it would be beneficial to learn about our new home, our new community, & the future. Baloney!

Will not wait in line for thier free tickets ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just a personal note; from my parents and my uncle who are completely unrelated to the Morse family. Harold Schwartz (if that is the grandfather we are talking about) was a dear man, a great friend, and a true visionary. My family is Christian and he was Jewish but that was never a problem. Mr. Schwartz was good to my family, he was welcoming, he wanted them to be happy, especially in their old age. When he made a lot of money he continued to be the same person he was before. In today’s world, with money as such a main drive, how many people can we say are like Mr Schwartz? If he had been my grandfather, I would have been proud of him too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I agree that we owe the Developers respect and gratitude for taking the risks and having the vision to make this an extremely successful and fun retirement community.

I do not understand this "blind" adoration some sychophants have for the Morses either. Yes -- they are business people; we have paid for each and every thing we have here and we will continue to pay. There is no free ride but we do have the advantage of a nice community and in taking part in many activities.

Certainly, no new "meaty" information is ever given at these presentations. I think they do this because they think it will simply "calm the savage beasts" for a while. Mark Morse, as "the developer" should be ashamed of himself for the way he looked at the presentation. He looked like a panhandling vagrant in front of a Goodwill store!

Years ago, from speaking with a long-time Villages' employee who still works here, I was told that Mr. Schwartz was a real, down-to-earth human being. He cared about his employees and made sure he was visible to all of them. He treated them like co-workers, would mingle with the residents at the Orange Blossom pool, and was favorite among everyone.

Enter the next generations . . . EVERYTHING has changed. No one is visible any longer and never will be. This is not the vision Harold Schwartz had. The new generation was handed a thriving business on a silver platter, although they are successful in making it grow. The Villages is strictly a business proposition now and residents and would-be buyers can take it or leave it. That's just how it is. I respect the Morses, et al, for being business people, however, show gratitude? How and why? We are paying for what we have.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:48 PM

It was my third event, no, not much in the line of new information came out BUT I chose to go, no cost. I enjoy the casual attire, he is a villager after all. I have met several of the family and I have found them to be down to earth and genuine. As far as working for the villages, I have found it to far more friendly then everywhere else I have worked. They have started and orientation breakfast for both new and current employees, and no there was not a charge. The family was there talking and mingling with the employees. So folks, this is not Pandora, but it is where I CHOSE to live and continue to do so.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Hard to compare Mr. Swartz running a little trailer park (God bless his soul) with the enterprise of today.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Hard to compare Mr. Swartz running a little trailer park (God bless his soul) with the enterprise of today.
I could be wrong, but do I remember that Mr. Swartz's vision was in financial trouble when Gary Morse came down and rescued it?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I could be wrong, but do I remember that Mr. Swartz's vision was in financial trouble when Gary Morse came down and rescued it?

I think you are correct about the financial things, and that is why Mr. Schwartz brought in his son to help out, which he certainly did.

But without Harold Schwartz's vision, I think we would be looking at a lot of vacant land and a horrible Wildwood slum.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:56 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

It's pretty simple............If someone wants to adore a family, it's their right and their wishes and their opinion.

They don't need to justify or explain to others who don't understand (as defined) blind adoration.

A lot of people don't like cows, cowgirls, Texas BBQ, NYC pizza, dog poop, snowbirds or white crosses. People don't need to justify their opinions.

Funny how some just don't understand.

Going back to sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It's pretty simple............If someone wants to adore a family, it's their right and their wishes and their opinion.

They don't need to justify or explain to others who don't understand (as defined) blind adoration.

A lot of people don't like cows, cowgirls, Texas BBQ, NYC pizza, dog poop, snowbirds or white crosses. People don't need to justify their opinions.

Going back to sleep.h

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

How could anyone not like NY pizza!
Steve
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM
fw102807

Quote:
People don't need to justify their opinions
Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
I do not understand this "blind" adoration some sychophants have for the Morses either. Yes -- they are business people; we have paid for each and every thing we have here and we will continue to pay. There is no free ride but we do have the advantage of a nice community and in taking part in many activities.

Certainly, no new "meaty" information is ever given at these presentations. I think they do this because they think it will simply "calm the savage beasts" for a while. Mark Morse, as "the developer" should be ashamed of himself for the way he looked at the presentation. He looked like a panhandling vagrant in front of a Goodwill store!

Years ago, from speaking with a long-time Villages' employee who still works here, I was told that Mr. Schwartz was a real, down-to-earth human being. He cared about his employees and made sure he was visible to all of them. He treated them like co-workers, would mingle with the residents at the Orange Blossom pool, and was favorite among everyone.

Enter the next generations . . . EVERYTHING has changed. No one is visible any longer and never will be. This is not the vision Harold Schwartz had. The new generation was handed a thriving business on a silver platter, although they are successful in making it grow. The Villages is strictly a business proposition now and residents and would-be buyers can take it or leave it. That's just how it is. I respect the Morses, et al, for being business people, however, show gratitude? How and why? We are paying for what we have.

Which is what this business is EVERYWHERE, except here you have so, so, so much more than anywhere else and get it for more than a reasonable cost. Did you even investigate other communities and the HOA fees/amenities ratio? You evidently don't understand what it takes to develop a place like this....Harold Schwartz did which is why he asked Gary move here (1983) and manage the 386 Orange Blossoms Gardens (now the Historical Section) and work with him to implement his vision. From 2003 (when Harold died) Gary and family continued with high investment and risk and the they are due every dollar of ROI that they get. What you have today is that vision and if having someone implement that vision doesn't deserve your gratitude I have great sorrow for you. If you don't feel gratitude for the lifestyle you have here I feel sorry for you. If you extend your disdain to all successful people I feel sorry for you. EOR

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Going back to sleep.

BTW -- I do get it. Understand it? Well -- I equate this blind adoration with a type of brown nosing, hoping that the right people will notice. I understand why people do it.

I didn't ask anyone to justify it and as you said, everyone is welcome to their opinion. I'm in agreement with you there.
Closed Thread

Tags
presentation, months, cancel, substance, reschedule

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.