Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
In fact none are gigundous
You must have a different standard of what large is. There are some 3800 sq. foot homes for sale on the used web site. Seems way too large for two people but who knows. Of course the price is large also 800K ++. Not many homes in this range but there are some.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

Sometimes I feel a little unempowered over decisions that affect my quality of life. The recent decision to remove the buffalos from TV would be one example of that.
I also miss the buffalo. I think we all do. But residents really were not entitled to be part of that decision. The buffalo were owned by the Developer and "stored" on a temporary basis in fields owned by the Developer.
But I do miss those darn buffalo.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Sage

Maybe if the traffic circles were one lane, they wouldn't be so scary. Nevertheless, the drivers in South Florida are much worse than they are here!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Gold member

On the issue of aesthetic "nazis". This is an issue much bigger than just aesthetics; this is a pockebook issue. We currently live in an area that is essentially without rules of any sort. For the most part people maintain their property quite nicely and within a fairly "normal" range of good taste. However, there is one house in the neighborhood several streets over which is adorned with statues, trailers parked in the side yard and the street, and cars parked on the front lawn. It is an eyesore.

While it is not near my house and I only see it when I have to drive by that house on the way out of the neighborhood, I really shouldn't complain, right? Well, as it turns out the house immediately across from this house is a very similar house as ours. It recently was on the market and because of its view sold for a lot less than it should have. When we were interviewing real estate agents and asked them about that house, they immediately talked about it in terms of their views of the neighbor's house.

So, how does that impact us? Simple - when buyers for our house look up comparable homes sales, this becomes Exhibit A in terms of arguing for why our house should be priced closer to what the house with the "view" sold for. So, the net effect on us is not aesthetics but probably at least $10,000. With that in mind, I warmly welcome the aesthetics police of TV.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post
There are very few things about this area I dislike. My main bone of contention is and always will be the Villages "Bible" so many people have memorized or maybe mezmerized is a better choice of words.
They run around with this thing in their hands just looking for things to call the yard nazis about. "Got a bush out of place", "trying to add something to his house", "dog running lose", "chacki in his yard". On and on infinitum.
This planet has so many BIG problems that we really need to work on and these same people continually stick their collective noses in everyone elses business.
I lived for 60+ years without telling others what to do. Never had a problem.You don't like me or my bush or my dog or my flower pot? I really could care less. Go do something really important like fixing the economy, cure cancer, solve world problems.
And put your lousy "Bible" in the closet.
Other than this issue, I'm a person at peace. I have zero issues with no one. You wanna plant a bush, fine with me. Your dog got loose? Oops, well you'll get him eventually. Want to put up a window planter, maybe I can help. To me ...............these "problems" are really small potatoes in the grand scheme of life.

I ignore em....
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Veteran member
Default I hate crowds !!

I'm a serious wannabee - don't live in TV - and I've been hanging out at TOTV for almost one year, taking notes, evaluating the good & bad.

Some references have been made to "crowded activities" so, if I may ask......

are crowds common in TV? Under what circumstances? where?

Thank you for any responses
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I'm a serious wannabee - don't live in TV - and I've been hanging out at TOTV for almost one year, taking notes, evaluating the good & bad.

read the threads on the gyms and Wellness Center... yep, there can be crowds at certain times.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

At this time of year everything is crowded. From the various activities at the rec centers (get to line dancing at least 1/2 hour early) to golf, the gyms, the squares, restaurants, the grocery store, church, etc. I'm not saying you can't do anything at this time of year because of the crowds, but you have to be patient and understanding. Traffic can also be very congested in the winter. I try to get out early in the morning to do my shopping and errands.

I love living in The Villages all 12 months of the year (and we are here fulltime), but I love it even more in the spring, summer and fall.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I dislike the traffic circles. My mind will not comprehend that turning right from the left lane of a traffic circle is OK. That has caused me to exercise a major portion of my limited vocabulary of four letter words on more than one occassion.
I found "A Guide to Navigating Roundabouts in Sumter County, Florida" helpful...right turns are to be made only from the right lane...

John
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Default Rotarys

A few words have been said here regarding rotarys (roundabouts if you are not from New England).
If you know nothing about football, then football is hard to figure out. If you know nothing about quantom physics, then quantom physics is understandably hard to figure out. So ........ if you know nothing of rotarys, then rotarys are hard to figure out.
As our past residences' indicate, we lived in Maine for over 14 years. Rotarys (to me at least) are very simple. Only 2 rules: #1 You never back up in a rotary, duh !!!!! #2 When you go more than two exits while in the rotary, you MUST get into the left lane. And .... while not actually a law, I think, please put your blinker on when you exit the rotary. It is just good form and a gracious thing to do for drivers behind you.

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I found "A Guide to Navigating Roundabouts in Sumter County, Florida" helpful...right turns are to be made only from the right lane...

John

John,

I think you're wrong about right turns from the right lane. You must be. Can't be this many people living in TV that make improper turns. They always use the correct lane. I've seen many people giving them a thumbs up while sounding their horn. At least it looked like a thumb from the distance.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Veteran member
Default thought it was time for a bump

bump
Wanabee future TVer
Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Hi,

We hope to be in TV in November and we are from Vancouver, B.C.
You will probably see us walking our 2 little white Havanese dogs
(Romeo and Tinkerbelle).

Beautiful B.C.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Am I wrong or does this thread make ya think maybe the Villages is not the best place the ad's say it is???
Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdeck View Post
Am I wrong or does this thread make ya think maybe the Villages is not the best place the ad's say it is???
I assume that you have also read the thousands of positive posts on TOTV from very happy people. Rather than basing your opinion on just one thread.

I can only tell you that I am a Canadian and thereby limited to 182 days in the USA each year. The saddest day of my year is the day I leave TV for a six-month exile. Even though we have a lovely Lake cottage in Canada. I just miss my TV Pals so much.

The happiest day of my year is in October, when I arrive for my six-month stay in the Bubble.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.