Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Default Negatives ......from just one guy

You will never really get folks to comment negatives honestly in the open board. Folks here have a real guilt complex as far as leaving there families, they feel guilt in being selfish, they know they are not a part of there grandkids life. They know this is the last big decision they will make in there life. They want no one to point out things that they are paying huge amounts of money for. The closing costs are huge here compared to other areas of the country. Fees are way over priced, business come and go, they just can't handle rake that The Villages takes off the top. yes there are many actives, but newcomers are not welcome in certain things, just try to get on a softball team, just go to pickle ball court as a single you will set there as wallflower. Don't even think about trying to play water volleyball unless it is social which is the ONLY group that is welcoming of newcomers. I coached volleyball at D1 college level so I know my level of play. At a recreation water volleyball game at LaHacienda, I was told "we already have our teams, you can wait if someone doesnt show a team "Might" let you join them! It was shown as open rec in the newsletter. I brought this to the attention of the attendant," his words exactly were: "these are grumpy old people don't fight it"
So these are just a sample of one person
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Yes we did Kate.

Since June 1, we have listed our house in Cincy and it was on market for nine days, had multiple offers and a bidding war. Buyer needs for us to be out by July 15.

Since June 1. We drove to the villages and back with the three cats, cleared out our house there of kitchen things, garage things, bathroom things and clothing and closed on that house that we did NOT have up for sale but that someone continued to give us good reasons why we should sell it to them. That trip was 5 days, 30 hours in car. Three p...um, annoyed cats. That's when we picked out lot...

Since June 1..We attended our daughters very formal wedding and bid them goodbye to their honeymoon in Europe and effectively sent off the two people who could help us PACK.

Since June 1, while packing, did the prep for a colonoscopy and when recovering heard that we had had several bids on the house.

Since June 1. We have overseen the repairs of the items on the list requested by the buyers and packed five MILLION OF SWEETIES GOLF SHIRTS THAT HE WILL NOT GET RID OF.

Since June 1. We attended our grandsons graduation and cooked for his graduation party. He graduated 35th in his class of 628, but more importantly has a full time job this summer.

Since June 1, we heard that our granddaughter had been picked to intern on the Today show, receive a scholarship and an award from her school and helped her move from one house to another on campus.

Now I stand with 14 pairs of scissors and 18 staplers and a mirror that cannot go on a truck and I am mean hearted, grumpy and babbling.

Please pray for a little calm here. I am not doing well.

But I have my eye on the prize.....................

We really are very blessed. Thanks for listening..
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
...Remember , if you obey all the rules you'll miss all the fun.You worked all your lives, now it's your time to go out in a blaze of glory.:
Which rules do we not have to obey? I want to be sure that I get in on the fun.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Sage

WOW !!!!

I got tired just reading about all the work you did.

It's amazing what one can accomplish if they set their hearts and mind to it.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Sage

You'll make it, gracie. Just keep taking deep breaths...............

Bill
Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Springfield Illionois,

Your post really bummed me out, as I just bought a lot in TG and am REALLY looking forward to learning pickleball and also do water volleyball. I am still gonna put my best foot forward, take some pickleball lessons and try to get on a team for water volleyball, I don't care if it just for fun as having fun is what's it all about. Again, you just really bummed me out. Hope you are wrong, very wrong.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Hey Gracie, Sending you some really big cyber HUGS your way, you are in the home stretch now. It's all good!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Springfield Illionois,

Your post really bummed me out, as I just bought a lot in TG and am REALLY looking forward to learning pickleball and also do water volleyball. I am still gonna put my best foot forward, take some pickleball lessons and try to get on a team for water volleyball, I don't care if it just for fun as having fun is what's it all about. Again, you just really bummed me out. Hope you are wrong, very wrong.
I agree with you and I hope this is not the norm. We are moving into St. James in a few weeks and I want to learn pickleball and meet some other people that are just learning. My Parent's rented a few years ago for the winter and my Dad, keep in mind only renting for 3 months was able to play all the time.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 AM

Gongy, Glad I am not alone! Maybe, you and I and a lot of other soon to be living in TV, we got a lot over in TG, so not too far from you, can put a team together and have lots of fun!!! Where's there's a will, there's a way, there's just gotta be.

All I can say at this point being a newbie, is say it isn't so!

Look forward to meeing you, Gongy somewhere down the road in TV. We got a lot, but can't start building till house sells in the islands we have up for sale, keeping my fingers and toes crossed it will be soon and I can start building, like yesterday!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Sounds like a plan to me. Keep in touch with me through TOTV and we will get newbies to start a pickleball team. I still haven't sold my house in VA, but we are working on it, something will happen. I wish you luck with the sale of your home.
Linda
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
You will never really get folks to comment negatives honestly in the open board. Folks here have a real guilt complex as far as leaving there families, they feel guilt in being selfish, they know they are not a part of there grandkids life. They know this is the last big decision they will make in there life. They want no one to point out things that they are paying huge amounts of money for. The closing costs are huge here compared to other areas of the country. Fees are way over priced, business come and go, they just can't handle rake that The Villages takes off the top. yes there are many actives, but newcomers are not welcome in certain things, just try to get on a softball team, just go to pickle ball court as a single you will set there as wallflower. Don't even think about trying to play water volleyball unless it is social which is the ONLY group that is welcoming of newcomers. I coached volleyball at D1 college level so I know my level of play. At a recreation water volleyball game at LaHacienda, I was told "we already have our teams, you can wait if someone doesnt show a team "Might" let you join them! It was shown as open rec in the newsletter. I brought this to the attention of the attendant," his words exactly were: "these are grumpy old people don't fight it"
So these are just a sample of one person
I think your opening statement is wrong, there are 55 pages to this thread and a good majority of the items are honest statements of what people dislike about TV. As a wannabee I have not seen one that is a mind changer because there are still rec centers to be built and they will need teams, then there is always someone who is ill and needs to have a fill in player you just need patience.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Sage
Default Wrong!!!!!

Quote:
Springfield Illionois,

Springfield IS wrong....very wrong......in painting the entire community as unfriendly, unwelcoming, or cliquish. In a new or newer neighborhood where everyone is bringing in "new blood", you will be absolutely amazed at the real, natural diversity people bring in with them, from many states and even other countries. The new or newer neighborhood rec centers and regional rec centers have not been there long enough to be claimed as certain sourpusses' territory.

Don't worry about anything. TV is beyond our wildest dreams.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Gracie,

Let us know if we can help un-pack on this end.

To those of you wanting to play water volleyball or pickleball - I can't help much. I am still working, so too little time. But I understand from Russ that he and Linda have both joined in on their trips down here...
Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Default A little concerned re activities

I am a bit concerned about what I am reading regarding activities. My husband and I are planning a move in the next 18 months, although we may buy as soon as we sell our house, hopefully by next spring. Am I hearing right, that if we want to really join in things, we have to buy new? and I would be very concerned (enough to not move to the Villages) if it's hard to get on bowling leagues, as well. We have been looking forward to continuing to bowl as long as we are able, we bowl in 3 leagues a week in Tampa, now. Is this lack of being able to join also true of other things, like card games, and other social opportunities. We have worked unusual schedules most of our time in Florida (25 years), where we worked weekends and were off during the week, and therefore, one of the big reasons we are picking the Villages is because everyone seems so friendly, and it appears it would be easy to join in and make new friends. So, I am now very concerned at what I am reading.

Lee and Richard in Tampa, for now.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Springfield Illionois,

We are building in TG also, we are renting in another village until our house is finished. We like to drive over to the TG pool and have met some friendly folks there. Not sure about the teams and such, we've only been here a few days. Will you be building soon?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.