Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Sage
Default to clarify....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofficer View Post
I am a bit concerned about what I am reading regarding activities. My husband and I are planning a move in the next 18 months, although we may buy as soon as we sell our house, hopefully by next spring. Am I hearing right, that if we want to really join in things, we have to buy new? ..........one of the big reasons we are picking the Villages is because everyone seems so friendly, and it appears it would be easy to join in and make new friends. So, I am now very concerned at what I am reading.
Lee and Richard in Tampa, for now.
I should clarify my last post. I wrote "in a new or newer" neighborhood because the person I quoted said they had just bought a lot.....they are going to be in a new/newer neighborhood and I was relating my experience from buying in a "newer" one. That doesn't mean newcomers should buy only in a newly constructed one. An "old" neighborhood constructed 15-20 years ago can become "new" with new people buying homes in numbers there.

Perhaps, a person could look up certain streets they're considering, in the county land records, to see if the majority of residents have been there for a decade or more, or if the majority on that street has bought in the last 2-3-4 years.

Another thing a buyer could do is go for a walk in the morning or evening, in a neighborhood they are considering, and talk to neighbors who are out there. They can usually tell you which homes have been sold in the last couple of years, which ones are mostly rented out, which homes belong to snowbirds vs. frogs, etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

DebbieB & Gongy. Do not worry about pickleball, sign up for 101,102, & 103. After completing these lessons look in the rec guide to find the beginner open play, I think there is beginner open at least six days a week. Play with everyone there, soon you will be playing as much as you want. I am a single player as my wife has a bad knee and I never have a problem getting a game. I can't comment on the volleyball as I don't play.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Springfield is a PROBLEM

Springfield is a problem much like The Shadow here. I would disregard much (all) of what he posts. In the better life, people should leave their bias at door and post only to help newcomers.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

I play round robin tennis and all levels are welcomed. I have never seen someone treat anyone with other than respect. Granted this is social tennis and not as competitive as in a league. As others have said you can choose your level of play with pickleball and water volleyball. I'm sure there are some grumps out there but in the three years I've been here I've not met any in the sports in which I've participated.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
DebbieB & Gongy. Do not worry about pickleball, sign up for 101,102, & 103. After completing these lessons look in the rec guide to find the beginner open play, I think there is beginner open at least six days a week. Play with everyone there, soon you will be playing as much as you want. I am a single player as my wife has a bad knee and I never have a problem getting a game. I can't comment on the volleyball as I don't play.
Thank you for your very valuable information. Sure does give me a different slant on this issue. Also thank you to JoJo and Golf-Tinker for the heads up about some of the posts that are on this site.
We close on July 26th, I can't believe its almost here!!!!!
Linda
Old 07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
You will never really get folks to comment negatives honestly in the open board. Folks here have a real guilt complex as far as leaving there families, they feel guilt in being selfish, they know they are not a part of there grandkids life. They know this is the last big decision they will make in there life. They want no one to point out things that they are paying huge amounts of money for. The closing costs are huge here compared to other areas of the country. Fees are way over priced, business come and go, they just can't handle rake that The Villages takes off the top. yes there are many actives, but newcomers are not welcome in certain things, just try to get on a softball team, just go to pickle ball court as a single you will set there as wallflower. Don't even think about trying to play water volleyball unless it is social which is the ONLY group that is welcoming of newcomers. I coached volleyball at D1 college level so I know my level of play. At a recreation water volleyball game at LaHacienda, I was told "we already have our teams, you can wait if someone doesnt show a team "Might" let you join them! It was shown as open rec in the newsletter. I brought this to the attention of the attendant," his words exactly were: "these are grumpy old people don't fight it"
So these are just a sample of one person

You are just plain wrong on some issues:

Softball: open tryouts for newcomers - placed onto a team after the evaluation.

Intermediate water VB is looking for new players. They too hold an evaluation session. In fact in this month's TV magazine on page 21-22 they explain it and have a contact phone number. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/thevillages/0711/#/22 Maybe you should call them before complaining any further.

Pickleball: one of the issues is that some groups come with exactly the right number of players so it can be tough to work in. But if you are persistent you will make it in. If you're having trouble try talking it up at the local pool and you'll find some players. This is true of most activities in TV. Talk at the pool and let people know you'd like in.

I won't even comment on your thoughts about feeling guilty and this being our last big decision. Ludicrous. Oh wait, that's a comment!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ummm Springfield? Have you had another name on this forum?

You sound like someone else who used to post here.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I had looked at The villages in 2004 and then again in 2006. both times I walked away with the same concerns. Despite those concerns and for other reasons I went ahead and purchased believeing I would get over my concerns and if i couldn't I move within 6 months. I didn't and the market dropped in that 6 month period. I refuse to take a financial beating on my home.

I live south of 466 on a championship golf course with a nice view so it isn't housing that concerns me.

P.S. I love the sound of trains and train whistles but then I like creeky floors and squeaking doors
Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Cool

Phew! Thank all of you who posted after my bummed out post ~

Billmar, Haven't started building yet, waiting for our place in the islands to sell, hopefully, it will be soon. Look forward to meeting you!

I feel a whole lot better now, thanks again, I just love TOTV.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I had looked at The villages in 2004 and then again in 2006. both times I walked away with the same concerns. Despite those concerns and for other reasons I went ahead and purchased believeing I would get over my concerns and if i couldn't I move within 6 months. I didn't and the market dropped in that 6 month period. I refuse to take a financial beating on my home.

I live south of 466 on a championship golf course with a nice view so it isn't housing that concerns me.

P.S. I love the sound of trains and train whistles but then I like creeky floors and squeaking doors
Every time I hear you say that you aren't happy here I feel so bad for you.
You are such a nice person. I keep hoping that you will discover something you just love to do...like I am so enjoying studying art at the Lifelong Learning College.

You could probably teach at the Lifelong Learning College Rubicon!!

Plus, I feel from our two homes selling quickly that the market may be a bit on the upturn..so you could move then to where you would like it better.

Be happy Rubicon!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Plus, I feel from our two homes selling quickly that the market may be a bit on the upturn..so you could move then to where you would like it better.

Be happy Rubicon!
Gracie, the reason your 2 homes sold sooooooooooo quickly in this depressed real estate market, ............. you were smart enough to bite the bullet and price them competitively.My girlfriend did the same thing and got an all cash offer and closed in 3 weeks.Sellers must live in the present and not price their homes as in the" good old days," like my next door neighbor in Lexington is trying to do.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default To Gracie

how many scissors and how many staplers? hahahaha
Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Phew! Thank all of you who posted after my bummed out post ~

Billmar, Haven't started building yet, waiting for our place in the islands to sell, hopefully, it will be soon. Look forward to meeting you!

I feel a whole lot better now, thanks again, I just love TOTV.
Our home is in the process, we close on August 19th. Can't wait. Good luck on selling your home. Keep us posted...Looking forward to meeting you too!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Springfield and Shadow are free to post here, and if you don't agree with them you may post your findings as well.

It is not the job, however, of either Golf-Tinker or gracie to frisk people at the door or attempt to run them off. Please stop that. The forum is open to everyone and we have not appointed any gate keepers.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Springfield and Shadow are free to post here, and if you don't agree with them you may post your findings as well.

It is not the job, however, of either Golf-Tinker or gracie to frisk people at the door or attempt to run them off. Please stop that. The forum is open to everyone and we have not appointed any gate keepers.
I really don't know what to say to that, but I appreciate you keeping me heading the right direction.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.