Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Default It all happened to me or I observed it.

It all happened to me or I observed it. I am not saying this entire place is bad, I am just posting what happened. The fact of tryouts is an excuse to just keep the person away an keep the cliques in place. Do you know that the police have been called on the men's water volleyball group more than once, have you heard the cursing that goes on? I have it goes on in the other end of the pool when we play social and the volleyball Gods are on the other end of the pool. Maybe they are at ease with the profanty with the presence of women, I am not!
I understand if you don't agree with my statement about drinking the koolade and keeping an open billfold as being a requirement to living here with being a good little drone! I am not attacking anyone for there comments, just giving my thoughts here in the land of the free and the home brave, and Casey Anthony's home state!
Jose Biaz for president!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
It all happened to me or I observed it. I am not saying this entire place is bad, I am just posting what happened. The fact of tryouts is an excuse to just keep the person away an keep the cliques in place. Do you know that the police have been called on the men's water volleyball group more than once, have you heard the cursing that goes on? I have it goes on in the other end of the pool when we play social and the volleyball Gods are on the other end of the pool. Maybe they are at ease with the profanty with the presence of women, I am not!
I understand if you don't agree with my statement about drinking the koolade and keeping an open billfold as being a requirement to living here with being a good little drone! I am not attacking anyone for there comments, just giving my thoughts here in the land of the free and the home brave, and Casey Anthony's home state!
Jose Biaz for president!

Let me get this straight:

You're saying that you have tried to get on a softball team through the process and they have denied you? Or are you saying someone else told you that? Because that is not what the softball association says.

And when I closed on my house there were no more closing costs than any other home I've purchased.

And it's Baez not Biaz.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Gold member

If you want to get on a team just hang around for a while until the older folks start dieing off creating an opening.
Then after 5-10 years you're the person not letting the newbie in and the cycle continues.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
If you want to get on a team just hang around for a while until the older folks start dieing off creating an opening.
Then after 5-10 years you're the person not letting the newbie in and the cycle continues.
Egads, keithwand, that's one way of looking at, I guess. But, what is the problem with starting up another team if there are more than one newbie? I see that as win win situation. AND no one left out. That just seems wrong. Oh, and I don't ever want to be that person who is not letting a newbie in.
But that me and just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much these days. Nuff said from me on this. Thanks for all the pm's and insights I got from many of you.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Good Grief! Spring....is so right.
I play on three advanced sports teams here and am on the board of every one I play in. Been here 8 years. There is enough drama on the advanced leagues to sink an aircraft carrier. Now here's the good news- We have won tons of Gold in Senior games, play on National teams, good competition--- I avoid all the drama.
Social play is another whole level of play but that goes location by location.( there can be jerks at any level) As I have said many times, people who post and post and post, Don't Know What the Hell they are talking about...!!!!!!! Don't even live here yet and play no TEAM sports!!! Plus if you play the highest level, you have no time for anything but competition, you are not sitting on your a__ on a computer!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Default The horse is dead! Stop beating it

How long should we beat this horse!?!?!? My last post on this thread. I have made my points, some dont agree, some are afraid to post ( I have gotten pm's agreeing but don't want to be beaten down). I respect all opinions
As far as the softball team issue, I want to just enjoy playing, my days of playing and coaching at competitive level are long gone. Just have fun playing have a beer afterwards. The major league scounts are not looking for us old farts to fill the lineups. I am not a Walter Mitty! Although my Chicago Cubs could use another hitter.
The Jose Biaz I speak of lives in Wildwood he sells watermelons on 466! I have no idea who you are worried about.
I love life, lighten up, have a good time. I hope my God takes me with a heart attack, instant death! Not the thing I see over and over everyday in TheVillages of wives hauling the husband around in comatose state of life. What a living hell for a woman.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
How long should we beat this horse!?!?!? My last post on this thread. I have made my points, some dont agree, some are afraid to post ( I have gotten pm's agreeing but don't want to be beaten down). I respect all opinions
As far as the softball team issue, I want to just enjoy playing, my days of playing and coaching at competitive level are long gone. Just have fun playing have a beer afterwards. The major league scounts are not looking for us old farts to fill the lineups. I am not a Walter Mitty! Although my Chicago Cubs could use another hitter.
The Jose Biaz I speak of lives in Wildwood he sells watermelons on 466! I have no idea who you are worried about.
I love life, lighten up, have a good time. I hope my God takes me with a heart attack, instant death! Not the thing I see over and over everyday in TheVillages of wives hauling the husband around in comatose state of life. What a living hell for a woman.

Yikes! You paint a gloomy picture! I'll have to shield this from my wife. You're just pulling our collective chain now, aren't you?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Sage
Default Who put the horse here???

Quote:
I hope my God takes me with a heart attack, instant death! Not the thing I see over and over everyday in TheVillages of wives hauling the husband around in comatose state of life. What a living hell for a woman.
This is so far off base that it tells a lot about your visual, observational and interpersonal skills that are key to being part of a team sport and a community.

What the rest of us see "over and over every day in The Villages" is tens of thousands of residents looking far more physically fit than the average 50-year-old elsewhere, and acting and speaking decades younger at heart, than most of the chronologically-younger people around us before we came here to TV.

As for "wives hauling the husband around in a comatose state of life. What a living hell for a woman"......

.....If he's "comatose" at least she doesn't have to listen to him pout and complain all day long about the other kids on the playground not playing fair.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post

.....If he's "comatose" at least she doesn't have to listen to him pout and complain all day long about the other kids on the playground not playing fair.
I'll keep quiet (except for my chuckles!) and just add a big
Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Why don't you just answer my question about the softball. All I'm asking is whether this happened directly to you or just someone you know about. It is not how softball says they operate. If you say otherwise I'll ask them directly when I get evaluated.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
Good Grief! Spring....is so right.
I play on three advanced sports teams here and am on the board of every one I play in. Been here 8 years. There is enough drama on the advanced leagues to sink an aircraft carrier. Now here's the good news- We have won tons of Gold in Senior games, play on National teams, good competition--- I avoid all the drama.
Social play is another whole level of play but that goes location by location.( there can be jerks at any level) As I have said many times, people who post and post and post, Don't Know What the Hell they are talking about...!!!!!!! Don't even live here yet and play no TEAM sports!!! Plus if you play the highest level, you have no time for anything but competition, you are not sitting on your a__ on a computer!!!!!!!!!
Can I assume that you mean me?

I have no doubt there is drama. I've seen that first hand.

My question relates to Springfield stating that he couldn't get on a softball team or join a water VB game (& pickleball).

I'm just looking to find the real problem behind what he says. Instead of trying to poke fun at those of us who post and post and post, why not just address the question?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Very interesting reading all this drama around sports and sports teams....make me very happy that I don't do sports and am an artsy fartsy type.....I'm not in TV yet but hope to be soon and I guess other than floating in a local pool I will look forward to dancing under the stars at the market squares....I will be the one dancing by myself having hopefully a wonderful time as I am single and when I arrive in TV will only know 4 other people. BUT I'm sure I will LOVE IT!
Im sure TV has some faults....heck how could it not when it is the size it is but overall I am very impressed!
Suzanne
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Sage

I'd like to add some perspective to Larry W's comments...please note that much of the drama he speaks of has to do with ADVANCED softball leagues and advanced volleyball. I'm sure similar issues occur with advanced Pickleball, tennis, mahjong, cycling etc. Advanced players tend to be more competitive and sometimes ( not always) not so tolerant of newbies to these activities.

The key is for any sport/activity participant to find a group appropriate for your level of play.

Some of the recent comments made in this thread might discourage prospective residents from trying new sports/activities ... And that would be a shame. I know of several guys who have gone through the softball tryouts and been placed on appropriate level teams as they embark on their Villages softball adventures. I play in a friendly intermediate open Pickleball group that is very welcoming to new folks.

I don't deny some of the things Larry describes could happen, it's just not as rampant as his comments might imply. At least IMHO.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Sage

Bill
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Getting calls.
People resent your comment that it is the advanced. If you worked with the Rec dept, which I DO almost everyday, you would see it is just the opposite.

People are telling me you are a good friend of Russ??

IMHO you need to be working with the Rec department to know about number of incidents.

I am volunteering hours a day to make sports better for everyone! How about you???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.