Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I'd like to add some perspective to Larry W's comments...please note that much of the drama he speaks of has to do with ADVANCED softball leagues and advanced volleyball. I'm sure similar issues occur with advanced Pickleball, tennis, mahjong, cycling etc. Advanced players tend to be more competitive and sometimes ( not always) not so tolerant of newbies to these activities.

The key is for any sport/activity participant to find a group appropriate for your level of play.

Some of the recent comments made in this thread might discourage prospective residents from trying new sports/activities ... And that would be a shame. I know of several guys who have gone through the softball tryouts and been placed on appropriate level teams as they embark on their Villages softball adventures. I play in a friendly intermediate open Pickleball group that is very welcoming to new folks.

I don't deny some of the things Larry describes could happen, it's just not as rampant as his comments might imply. At least IMHO.
I sure hope you are right. As a new Villager I would like to get involved in some activities, but I can't swim, play tennis, play golf, or swing a bat. Nobody will pick me, it will be just like 9th grade all over again, UGH!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM

I agree with the above two posters and, curiously, also with much of what Spring, Russ, and Larry have stated.

Because I can chew gum and walk without tripping- most of the time- I spent tome scouting out (and talking with people at) softball fields, pickle ball courts, and basketball gym on my recon visits to TV.

For what it's worth....
Softball:
A player-manager-board member softball told me that players in the highest levels often yell at/insult each other and even fight in the dugout.

(that behavior reinforces what I tell my supervisors at work: Age is not an accurate indicator of maturity).

The Mgr told me that he prefers to play at the 2nd highest level (although he clearly looked as if he wad a top level athlete) bc players are still very good but hardly any drama. He also said that rec/neighborhood league play is very low-key.

Pickelball:
Watching open play at Laurel Manor, 2 people toldme to grab a paddle and join a game.

Basketball:
Sunday June 26 at VHS gym, the guys invited me to play. A great group of guys of all skill levels/ages. Ended up playing 6 straight pick-up games with them. They took my name/email.. told me to be sure to come back.
(I couldn't tell if they were so welcoming bc I played decently or bc I played poorly which made them play even better than they are.

Springfield, I don't doubt your experiences. You're an experienced D1 coach (that must have been cool) I just hope that you don't let folks sour your lifelong taste for athletics.

Russ, you always speak straight-forwardly, as you see things. Sometimes edgy, sometimes not. And you do so with your full name right out there for all to see. Just got to respect that.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
Good Grief! Spring....is so right.
I play on three advanced sports teams here and am on the board of every one I play in. Been here 8 years. There is enough drama on the advanced leagues to sink an aircraft carrier. Now here's the good news- We have won tons of Gold in Senior games, play on National teams, good competition--- I avoid all the drama.
Social play is another whole level of play but that goes location by location.( there can be jerks at any level) As I have said many times, people who post and post and post, Don't Know What the Hell they are talking about...!!!!!!! Don't even live here yet and play no TEAM sports!!! Plus if you play the highest level, you have no time for anything but competition, you are not sitting on your a__ on a computer!!!!!!!!!
Larry...don't want to get into a ****ing contest, but re-read your quoted post above where you specifically talk about advanced. Yes, I know Russ and have played golf and Pickleball with him in a nice friendly atmosphere...so what???

I guess I'm trying to understand your motivation here... It sounds to me like it is discouraging people from participating ... Yet you devote a great deal of time and energy to the rec programs. Thank you for your service. In a community of 80,000+ you're going to hear complaints especially if you are on the organizing end of things. My own experience and that of several other posters on this thread has been more positive and I just want new folks to hear some balance. It ain't all bad...in fact, the rec programs are run quite well.

Whatever.....
Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
Very interesting reading all this drama around sports and sports teams....make me very happy that I don't do sports and am an artsy fartsy type.....I'm not in TV yet but hope to be soon and I guess other than floating in a local pool I will look forward to dancing under the stars at the market squares....I will be the one dancing by myself having hopefully a wonderful time as I am single and when I arrive in TV will only know 4 other people. BUT I'm sure I will LOVE IT!
Im sure TV has some faults....heck how could it not when it is the size it is but overall I am very impressed!
Suzanne
Suzanne, I'm with you. If I want drama, I have it forty hrs. a week at my job. I don't want or need it in my golden years. Looking forward to attending the art fair at Lake Miona Rec. Center on Saturday sponsored by TV's Art League. I'm not especially artistic, but I would like to see the demonstrations and artwork of TV residents. Enjoying my week in TV so far very much. The patio villa I'm renting is beautifully decorated and well stocked with everything a renter could need. I really, really want to come back to TV this fall for another week of renting. Thinking about early/mid October as a birthday gift to myself.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
.......I really, really want to come back to TV this fall for another week of renting. Thinking about early/mid October as a birthday gift to myself.
Also (if you haven't already done so) consider coming back for some time during the dead of winter - Jan. through Mar. It's somewhat a different environment in TV given the larger number of people who are there during that timeframe. Not saying it's good or bad - it's just different.

Bill
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Sage

You know what I've learned in my life... Life it what you make... We all create our own lives... If it's good or if it's bad... It's what we have designed.

I can't wait to get back to The Villages and start the construction on our new home in December and in the spring of 2012... I'll be living the dream!!!

But you know what... Life is great now! I'm just starting a new phase!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Also (if you haven't already done so) consider coming back for some time during the dead of winter - Jan. through Mar. It's somewhat a different environment in TV given the larger number of people who are there during that timeframe. Not saying it's good or bad - it's just different.

Bill
I would love to come back during the winter season, but unfortunately I can only take a week or two of vacation at a time from my job And from what I've heard, it is practically impossible to do short term rentals during those months. Almost all landlords want tenants who can rent for 3 months. Work is the four letter word that rules my life at least for the next few years.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Sage

Schaumburger, good point about the short term rental issue during the prime winter months. You can stay at one of the on-site hotels by SS that are golf cart accessible..........Sandy and I have done that a number of times in the past. Worked out well for us! We never had an issue/hassle with parking a golf cart in the hotel parking lot.

Bill
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post
Russ, you always speak straight-forwardly, as you see things. Sometimes edgy, sometimes not. And you do so with your full name right out there for all to see. Just got to respect that.

Edgy? Thanks I kind of like that.

But hold the respect a little the last name isn't Boston. Just from the area (and Buttonwood of course). I maybe edgy but I'm not crazy enough to publish the whole name

Hey Larry - Just FYI on those of us that post and post and post and sit on our as** all day in front of the computer - I just got home from working my 'normal' day job from 7-3 and my 'night' RN job from 4-10. But yes here I am sitting on my tired butt in front of my computer. OK off to bed I go, back to work at 7!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Edgy? Thanks I kind of like that.

But hold the respect a little the last name isn't Boston. Just from the area (and Buttonwood of course). I maybe edgy but I'm not crazy enough to publish the whole name

Hey Larry - Just FYI on those of us that post and post and post and sit on our as** all day in front of the computer - I just got home from working my 'normal' day job from 7-3 and my 'night' RN job from 4-10. But yes here I am sitting on my tired butt in front of my computer. OK off to bed I go, back to work at 7!
Russ, Nurses are the heart and soul of hospitals and keep those places going -- came to that conclusion having watched my father spend a week in the hospital about 6 years ago recuperating from intestinal surgery and gall bladder removal. And my father wasn't exactly Mr. Charm after the surgery!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Schaumburger, good point about the short term rental issue during the prime winter months. You can stay at one of the on-site hotels by SS that are golf cart accessible..........Sandy and I have done that a number of times in the past. Worked out well for us! We never had an issue/hassle with parking a golf cart in the hotel parking lot.

Bill
Bill, Thank you for the excellent suggestion about staying at a hotel in the winter for a few days. I will have to consider that. I stayed at the Comfort Suites near SS last year in July for 5 days, and saw a few golf carts in their parking lot. I assume they were guest's carts. I stayed one night at the Waterfront Inn (yesterday), and I also saw 3 golf carts in their parking lot. I also assume they were guest's golf carts. Maybe a winter trip will be in order...
Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
..........Maybe a winter trip will be in order...
A winter trip to TV, however long or short, sure does make the cold, snowy northern weather a tad more bearable!!!

Bill
Old 07-07-2011, 11:14 PM

I only got in on thread because Russ was bashing Spring.... I'm sick of him telling me or anyone that we are wrong! (He's told me on many occasions.)

He still has to sell his house and move, live here 8 years, get on three boards, work with Rec and then he will have some of the knowledge I have.
I give a hell of alot of time trying to make sports here work for everybody and most people are happy. However, spent all afternoon today at Colony because people are having problems. There are problems.

But yes for me, I couldn't be happier. Couldn't see more play time or be rated any higher. I've got a room full of gold medals and I'm in the best shape. Travel all over with teams. I love the competition here. I love my friends here.

I won't let a clique take over a sport or a board if I can help it.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Sage

I like the fact that we're hearing some negative comments as well as positive ones. It's true that life is what you make it. But The Villages isn't for everyone. I don't think people with honest, negative opinions should be discouraged from expressing them.

I've lived in two resale communities in TV. It takes a while to fit into the existing neighborhood, but it will happen if you remain positive and are friendly to everyone. There are always new people buying resales and moving into the neighbourhood looking for friends. Most neighbourhoods seem to have a monthly street party. The pool is a great place to meet new friends. With regard to joining teams, whether sports, cards, or other --- it may take you a few months to get comfortable and fit in. If you meet someone grumpy one day, the next day you'll meet someone warm and wonderful! Sure there are some cliques in TV. But there are also tons of people wanting to make new friends. The key is having patience.

Deviating from topic, I think that nurses are angels. They do crummy jobs that most of us wouldn't want to do, usually with empathy, grace and humor. Thank you Russ.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 AM

Russ,
Just FYI -how do you write 3,793 posts during those work hours ??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.