Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Think I'll stick to dominos.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
With everyone else, I think this is a very needed thread.

Russ, you won't have to tell me a thing. I do the evaluations when new people try out for a team. And if I don't do it, I know all the people who do...

I know you can't keep your mouth shut so just know I'm done with you!!! See you at try-outs.
Hi Larry,
Thanks for your volunteer effort. No doubt it can be a thankless job sometimes. Many of us would welcome your sharing with us how the try-outs and placements work. Does everyone who tries out get placed? If not, is there a waiting list? Is placement in the appropriate division first-come, first-served, or another method? Thanks for any information you can share.

However, I don't get the personal attacks on Russ, or anyone for that matter. It doesn't answer questions or solve problems. It doesn't even make him look bad.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TednRobin View Post
I sure hope you are right. As a new Villager I would like to get involved in some activities, but I can't swim, play tennis, play golf, or swing a bat. Nobody will pick me, it will be just like 9th grade all over again, UGH!

OH I certainly wouldn't want to be reminded of the pain of 9th grade once again....forget the world of sports....leave them to their competitive games and join the wonderful world of music, arts, crafts and theater. No stress on knees, shoulders, wrists or elbows either....... These are much safer activities! From what I saw when I was visiting in January there truly is something for everyone in TV. I can't wait!
Suzanne
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Sage

Oh, I have no problem with people posting negative...

The TOTV is full of negative as well as positive. I'm just saying, I'm not inclined to listen too much to someone who is ALWAYS negative with about 99.9% of their posts!!!

I also find it interesting that the two "users" who are posting the most negative posts.... opened their profiles at about the same time.

When someone has NOTHING to say good about a place that they live (or claim to) and continue to live (if you dislike it that much... move) ... I question the motive. I remember some of the posts from one user suggesting people buy a place in another community.... Maybe they have a vested interest in that community???? Hmmmmm

Just sayin....
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Default New Villager

We just moved into TV and our new neighbors could not have been nicer. We were welcomed by many. We were brought over banana bread, invited to a July 4th party and asked to play golf many times. We LOVE it here.

The only negative is I feel that some service people may take advantage of the residents because we are older. For example, some lawn service people, I think, charge alot to mow very small lawns...only because they can.....because we can't do the work ourselves. And, based on conversations with neighbors, charge the same amount during the winter when the lawns barely need mowing.....

I have noticed that some service people, and I will be quick to say certainly not all of them, have become used to having the same accounts for years and don't really put forth a good effort because they can....because we can't do the work ourselves.

Other than those observations...this is a fantastic place to live...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Larry,
Thanks for your volunteer effort. No doubt it can be a thankless job sometimes. Many of us would welcome your sharing with us how the try-outs and placements work. Does everyone who tries out get placed? If not, is there a waiting list? Is placement in the appropriate division first-come, first-served, or another method? Thanks for any information you can share.

However, I don't get the personal attacks on Russ, or anyone for that matter. It doesn't answer questions or solve problems. It doesn't even make him look bad.
Thanks for the support P but as you know it doesn't bother me. I think I have plenty of friends already in TV with many more to come

But I would like Larry or someone to actually answer the question raised. I've asked it many times and get no answer. I think I'll start a new thread specifically for that since so many newbies view this site.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Thanks for the support P but as you know it doesn't bother me. I think I have plenty of friends already in TV with many more to come

But I would like Larry or someone to actually answer the question raised. I've asked it many times and get no answer. I think I'll start a new thread specifically for that since so many newbies view this site.
A new thread on the topic might be good and would surely answer some questions. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

One thing I don't like about The Villages.... the negativism of some folks when they disagree with a person or dislike a restaurant etc. Posts such as "all the maintenance workers ignore the traffic signs" or "all the leagues are cliquey and closed" or "you don't know what you are talking about because you aren't here full time" are what I am referring to. Some sound like personal vendettas.

FYI - in full disclosure I need to say that I am a friend of Russ - however, that doesn't mean that I can't and sometimes don't have different opinions.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
One thing I don't like about The Villages.... the negativism of some folks when they disagree with a person or dislike a restaurant etc. Posts such as "all the maintenance workers ignore the traffic signs" or "all the leagues are cliquey and closed" or "you don't know what you are talking about because you aren't here full time" are what I am referring to. Some sound like personal vendettas.

FYI - in full disclosure I need to say that I am a friend of Russ - however, that doesn't mean that I can't and sometimes don't have different opinions.
On A. I agree.

On B. Me too.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Life in TV is The Villages Florida or at least so I hear.....keep on smiling folks and I love it here learning so much the good and the bad.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by momesu View Post
Life in TV is The Villages Florida or at least so I hear.....keep on smiling folks and I love it here learning so much the good and the bad.
There's not much (if any) "bad" about life in TV. Life is what you make it.

And I love how the developers make our $137/mo. amenities fee stretch to provide for us what would be totally unaffordable to most of us if we tried to get the same amount and quality of amenities on our own in other places (that is actually inconceivable).

Complaints here sometimes get blown out of proportion because posters here are only a tiny proportion of total TV population. And I mention often, in conversation, things I've read/learned here on TOTV, and honestly, 9 out of 10 people I've mentioned it to don't even know what Talk of the Villages is. I don't consider the l-o-n-g complaints threads, like this one, to be representative of most TVers at all.

Last edited by ilovetv; 07-09-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added phrase
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Springfield and Shadow are free to post here, and if you don't agree with them you may post your findings as well.

It is not the job, however, of either Golf-Tinker or gracie to frisk people at the door or attempt to run them off. Please stop that. The forum is open to everyone and we have not appointed any gate keepers.
Tony, I don't know what you will do to me for asking... but I don't understand this comment either. Springfield comes on this site again and again and taunts people with what we all know to be untruths and when asked about it he doesn't answer. I believe he has several profiles on this forum and trolls to incite people and you called down the two people who questioned this? After you call Golf-Tinker and Gracie down he comes back on to taunt them as well and you say nothing????

Really????

I know I will be put in time out for this one... but inquiring minds want to know.....
Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Default U have Sucked me out

I said I was done posting on this topic,,,,,and this is it....
I taunt nobody ever.....I am nice guy,,,,as I am overweight a bit ,,,I am only one person with one Id. I understand why some shoot arrows at someone who doesn't agree with them,,,,I just don't let the facts get in the way of me opening up my billfold,,,,,,I truly understand how others just want be done with it and have percived happiness at whatever costs....an that's is ok with me...I remember when I was 11 I thought I was going to never be happy again when sue dibbles gave another guy her extra carton of chocolate milk at lunch,,, oh I knew it as not puppy love,,,,she was my dream girl for life!! Ah the tricks our mind plays on us,,,,so I understand why folks fall head over heels with this place,,,,,me I am still waiting for that carton of choco milk! I respect others way of thinking, even though I don't agree. I would never attack them for there beliefs. Please don't do that to me.
God bless you,,,,,,he has me
Old 07-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
I said I was done posting on this topic,,,,,and this is it....
I taunt nobody ever.....I am nice guy,,,,as I am overweight a bit ,,,I am only one person with one Id. I understand why some shoot arrows at someone who doesn't agree with them,,,,I just don't let the facts get in the way of me opening up my billfold,,,,,,I truly understand how others just want be done with it and have percived happiness at whatever costs....an that's is ok with me...I remember when I was 11 I thought I was going to never be happy again when sue dibbles gave another guy her extra carton of chocolate milk at lunch,,, oh I knew it as not puppy love,,,,she was my dream girl for life!! Ah the tricks our mind plays on us,,,,so I understand why folks fall head over heels with this place,,,,,me I am still waiting for that carton of choco milk! I respect others way of thinking, even though I don't agree. I would never attack them for there beliefs. Please don't do that to me.
God bless you,,,,,,he has me
People have asked you to explain your rants and you don't. The one time I saw that you did.... This was your response:

"1 they set the price, or at least let u think u did
2 u pull out ,,,,,u pay all expenses, they had open houses to cull buyers u pay!
3. Ex wives and money??!!?? Ever see vultures eating dead dog?

how's that toto??we aren't in Kansas and morse blvd is not the yellow brick road!" Titled..... With my crayons I will draw u a picture to make it clear

Yep... You're a little sweetheart! I don't know how I missed that....
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
People have asked you to explain your rants and you don't. The one time I saw that you did.... This was your response:

"1 they set the price, or at least let u think u did
2 u pull out ,,,,,u pay all expenses, they had open houses to cull buyers u pay!
3. Ex wives and money??!!?? Ever see vultures eating dead dog?

how's that toto??we aren't in Kansas and morse blvd is not the yellow brick road!" Titled..... With my crayons I will draw u a picture to make it clear

Yep... You're a little sweetheart! I don't know how I missed that....
Thanks Angie!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.