Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
The Villages Florida For People? The Villages Florida For Dogs?
it only takes about six months to figure out where they all are.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismom26 View Post
By the way, I don't happen to love the Villages. Too many things have to be redone, due to shortsightedness on the part of the powers that be. My husband's health is much better here, mine is worse, no stairs for built-in excerise, no reasonable destination to walk to & I don't play golf.
For sure, there are negatives about everything in life, including TV! You have a good point about walking destinations .. I also need motivation to exercise. I have two dogs so I have a daily incentive.

I'd be interested in hearing more about "too many things have to be redone"?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I know where all public restrooms are in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. . I've been thinking about publishing such a map for all mature ladies. How would such a map go over in TV? Or the The Villages Marketing department could print restroom icons on the $5 map. Just a thought...

The line starts here!!!!

And... Skyguy... Thanks for the post!!!! I always get those two mixed up!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 AM

I believe you asked this question before and most people find they like almost everything about living in the villages, as I do. i feel that compared to other retirement areas in fl. the villages has much much more to offer no matter what your interests may be. If you have not rented in the villages for a month or more I suggest that you do and then make your own decision.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERALDINE View Post
Larry:

It's hard to be "negative" about TV, it does have a lot of amenities, etc...but be aware that if it looks too good to be true...it probably is. Everything is not really as it appears and once you live here you find that out...but by then it's too late. The concept is good, and for the most part the people are friendly and fun loving, but like any community there are a lot of "BRATS".

My main complaint is that, unless you can afford to live in a Premiere home...it gets really boring...really quick...to drive down your street and see the SAME house after house, after house. You begin to feel like you're living in a post WWII housing project. This gets very depressing. You can even begin to tell who used what landscaper because they replicate the same plan and the same plants. It's depressing after a few years because there's not much you can do to change your house or your neighborhood. Hope you're RICH and can afford a custom designed Premiere home!!!!
I live in a neighborhood in Michigan right now that has many, many different styles of homes...each on beautiful, green, treed acreage..Only problem is, I NEVER see a single neighbor!! If they are ever outside, they are in their backyards. One of the many things that I loved about TV was the fact that, finally, I could be in a real neighborhood. Some people don't like living close to others and that is fine..don't. If you look at most of the subdivisions in the country and then take in the townhouses in the cities and the condos, you will find that TV is not the only homogenous place around...many people live in much closer quarters than you find in TV. If the landscaping is duplicated it's usually because it is beautiful to look at! Personally, I can't wait to get there!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismom26 View Post
By the way, I don't happen to love the Villages. Too many things have to be redone, due to shortsightedness on the part of the powers that be. My husband's health is much better here, mine is worse, no stairs for built-in excerise, no reasonable destination to walk to & I don't play golf.
In regards to no stairs, I agree with you so long as there is an alternative access for those of us in wheel chairs and mobility scooters.

In addition to that, It saddens me to a degree when there is not enough room to bring my mobility scooter into stores with narrow paths. However, I just suck it up and don't complain as the presentation of merchandise at it's max is what helps keep some in sufficient sales to thrive, or even just survive.

As for the rest of what you stated, There are plenty of paths for carts, scooters, cyclists as well as walkers. You also can't have stores in all villages as your statement would seem to suggest. They simply would not survive with the individual lack of demographics and excess of competition. So I'll just have to respectfully disagree even though I thank you for expressing your feelings. They're good points to ponder and/or discuss!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Sage

The thing I hate most about being in TV is that I'm not there yet!

I have no ties to the developer and it may not be right for everyone but living in the northeast and if one was retired, the amount of things to do to keep one busy is limiting. Especially, the winter months. IMHO

I would climb the walls if I woke up with nothing to do. Waking up in TV with so many options of things to do would be a godsend to me.

I realize that some people have medical conditions that prevent them from physical activity but I believe that you must use it or lose.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Bosoxfan
Default Hate ..not the word

I'd use but disappointed at the apparent oversight of the lack of useable dog parks. We live in the village of Amelia and take Bonyta (see avatar) to Brinson Perry Dog park .This is the closest park for her but its too small for the larger breeds.There is so much unused land you would think the developer should have foreseen the need!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
The thing I hate most about being in TV is that I'm not there yet!

I have no ties to the developer and it may not be right for everyone but living in the northeast and if one was retired, the amount of things to do to keep one busy is limiting. Especially, the winter months. IMHO

I would climb the walls if I woke up with nothing to do. Waking up in TV with so many options of things to do would be a godsend to me.

I realize that some people have medical conditions that prevent them from physical activity but I believe that you must use it or lose.
That pretty well sums it up for me too 2B. I live in Missouri, where we get the extremes on both sides, winter and summer. I live on a beautiful lake which offers more than enough activity in the spring and summer, but in the winter we are isolated and not much to do. The activities available in TV are the overwhelming draw to me and my wife.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Platinum member
Default let's hear some downsides

Hi, everyone.

We are moving to the villages in a couple months. I have been reading this thread today, but it seems that most of the posts are a variation on the theme "we love TV because......" I already KNOW how wonderful it is, I was hoping to find some constructive criticism of TV. There has to be something that needs to be improved upon......

Thanks for allowing me my rant!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Platinum member

One thing I would change is right here on TOTV. I would love it if the Smilies were in alphabetical order. (And, no, I'm not an English Major)

When I click on the 'more' button and go searching for a smilie, I can never seem to find the one I'm looking for. For example, I just tried to find the one for 'wink' but could only find the one for 'rant-rave'. Is that what you mean? I would be winking here if I could.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There is no other place like this. ( I know, I looked) It just seems so petty to complain. I guess if you look hard enough there might be some annoyances, but I like to think that my glass is half-full.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
Hi, everyone.

We are moving to the villages in a couple months. I have been reading this thread today, but it seems that most of the posts are a variation on the theme "we love TV because......" I already KNOW how wonderful it is, I was hoping to find some constructive criticism of TV. There has to be something that needs to be improved upon......

Thanks for allowing me my rant!
I think the water bill is very high. But I'll take some steps to landscape differently.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum member

thanks for your answers....I personally would like at least one "indoor" pool. At my mother's over 55 community in Kissimmee, there is one indoor and one outdoor. The elderly really like the indoor because of the protection from the sun. Perhaps some kind of a sun protection screen over a couple of the pools would do the trick!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM

I would like to see a few convenience stores scattered around. There's times when I want a bottle of water or something.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.