Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
Gracie this should have been in a pm, not on this thread. You are an expert poster and should know better.
...I'm confused. What's up with this?? I hope it is not against forum rules to have nice conversation and be pleasant to each other.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Gracie this should have been in a pm, not on this thread. You are an expert poster and should know better.
I am sorry.

I was just telling FoPAA that I too made Faux pas. And then I did.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Ummmmm....Did Diskman get up on wrong side of bed this morning??? Or does Diskman have PMS today??? Wow! Stay away from Mr. Grouchy Diskman today. Well.....we all have bad days. Here's wishin' Diskman a better day tomorrow....and, yes, the dawg with freckles is adorable.

How 'bouta smile, Diskman? You'll feel better.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettiboop View Post
...I'm confused. What's up with this?? I hope it is not against forum rules to have nice conversation and be pleasant to each other.
I didn't take this to mean that Diskman is against pleasant conversations! We all love Graciegirl and we know that her intentions are always to make everyone happy.

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-21-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Sage
Default Which Villages are the closest to their shopping, supermarkets and so forth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
I would like to see a few convenience stores scattered around. There's times when I want a bottle of water or something.
Good Point. We might also miss the neighborhood corner grocery store or even gas station convenience stores which have replaced the corner mom and pop store of our childhoods. These small stores are convenient when one doesn't need to make a big shopping trip to the supermarket.

New Poll:
Which "village" or "neighborhood" is the most desireable for its closeness to shopping as mentioned above.....and which are walkable for those who mentioned they'd love to walk on their errands.

The Village of Caroline seems close to shopping, but is it truly walkable?
Please let us know which ones are and which ones are NOT.

We will be renting a house up near the Mulberry Grove Shopping Center , however, when I looked at it online, it seemed virtually dead. Could anyone volunteer what type of shops are there.....besides the Publix Supermarket?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
We will be renting a house up near the Mulberry Grove Shopping Center , however, when I looked at it online, it seemed virtually dead. Could anyone volunteer what type of shops are there.....besides the Publix Supermarket?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Here's the layout for Mulberry Grove shopping:

http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle...ry%20Grove.pdf

(and "You're Welcome!" in advance, senior - hee-hee!)

Bill
Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
.....Which "village" or "neighborhood" is the most desireable for its closeness to shopping as mentioned above.....and which are walkable for those who mentioned they'd love to walk on their errands. .....
senior, it's probably all going to hinge on what you like from a shopping standpoint and how much of a walk you're willing to undertake.

First, here's a link to all of the Villages owned shopping and dining properties. Click on the shopping area name for an individual layout:

http://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle...gdiningmap.asp

If you take that info and look at an overall map of TV's residential areas, you'll have a better idea of how long of a walk things might be from where you might be considering staying/living.

Keep in mind there are other non-TV owned commercial properties (shopping, dining, etc.) in the area that you won't see on any of those layouts/maps - along 27/441 on the north/east side of the road as well as on both sides of the road south of Rolling Acres Rd. Much would arguably not be within reasonable walking distance for most people, though.

Bill
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
I don't like that the fact that Amenities fees are tied to CPI. Last 12 month's Consumer Price Index and my monthly amenities fee increase was + 3.6%.

This is especially upsetting because there have been no corresponding increases in Social Security Benefits and I haven't seen a single COLA increase in my pension ever. Can't seem to rationalize this, when considering what top execs from my former employer and federal workers have received in past few years.
Let me see if I get this right. TV district government should increase the amenities fee according to how much our former or current employers and federal government have or have not increased our income?

Our amenities fee increased by $3.00 per month this year. What we get for the $138/month is beyond imagination in any other consumer expense on recreation/entertainment......especially considering the cost of golf in any other venue.

In comparison, the price of gasoline has increased by $2 per gallon over various periods of months/years recently. For example, let's say that $1 of that increase occurred in the last year.....my car holds 13 gallons, and I fill up twice a month. That is a price increase of $13 per tank, or $26 per month this fiscal year hypothetically.

Considering the massive operating costs of operating TV, that $3 per month on the amenities fee is a bargain!!

And, the lament above about no COLA increase is exactly why we should not want to be totally dependent on government, former employers, and perpetually-campaigning politicians and their appointees managing and investing our retirement funds.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Maybe your name is Kenneth? : ) (just joking, that's all)
Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Diskman, I believe that your comment chastising GG was off topic and should have been in a PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Platinum member

Gracie's post seemed appropriate and caused me to go back to look and enjoy the avatar. Gosh are we going to be that strict? No fun.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Diskman, I believe that your comment chastising GG was off topic and should have been in a PM.
Good one. I agree. LOL
Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Oh you silly,silly poster. You should know better than up against GG. Her water pistol posse is gonna git you.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Gracie's post seemed appropriate and caused me to go back to look and enjoy the avatar. Gosh are we going to be that strict? No fun.
Me too, JoJo. Freckles and all. TOTV would be a less joyful place if joyful comments were banished.

Last edited by Pturner; 07-21-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Sage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.