Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Gold member
Default Concerns

I would agree moving from 1.5 acre distances between homes that are 10 feet apart is going to take some time.

Of course I don't have to drive 60 miles to a Lowes anymore either?

Maybe why rick at 48 hour blinds is doing so well with Plantation shutters.

All give and take

Herv
Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Sage

If you had wanted a completely secure community, you could have picked from any one of many, many gated communities in the area. The Villages has never been touted as a secure, gated community - and one look at the gates and "open" buttons would be your first clue.

If the privacy is an issue of being too close to neighbors, you could have bought a home with side plantings that block out the neighbor's view into your home or even tinted windows. I ive on a golf course, have tinted windows, and complete privacy.

Renting to see if you like it here is a good idea. That will give you a good idea of winter time residents and/or the summer weather.

Finally, even though most like it here, the houses do sell quickly so you can always sell and move elsewhere if you do not like it here.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
If you had wanted a completely secure community, you could have picked from any one of many, many gated communities in the area. The Villages has never been touted as a secure, gated community - and one look at the gates and "open" buttons would be your first clue.

If the privacy is an issue of being too close to neighbors, you could have bought a home with side plantings that block out the neighbor's view into your home or even tinted windows. I ive on a golf course, have tinted windows, and complete privacy.

Renting to see if you like it here is a good idea. That will give you a good idea of winter time residents and/or the summer weather.

Finally, even though most like it here, the houses do sell quickly so you can always sell and move elsewhere if you do not like it here.
That is just what I was gonna say. Good post Buggyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 AM

We are lucky, we have lived in a town home neighborhood of Brooklyn for years. When we were looking at homes the closeness of houses was never a consideration. Now we have back door neighbors (lanai neighbors?) and we love it.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage
Default Home privacy

One of the big reasons we bought on a cul de sac with only 5 or 6 homes on it was for privacy. we have no rear neighbors and our homes are a nice distance apart. With a pool, we knew we would need some privacy. After all, we are not spring chickens touting our bikini bodies any longer! Actually, we wanted to spare our neighbors from having to see our chicken legs and sagging skin up close! Seriously, this worked for us and hope you can come up with ways to protect your privacy too!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
One of the big reasons we bought on a cul de sac with only 5 or 6 homes on it was for privacy. we have no rear neighbors and our homes are a nice distance apart. With a pool, we knew we would need some privacy. After all, we are not spring chickens touting our bikini bodies any longer! Actually, we wanted to spare our neighbors from having to see our chicken legs and sagging skin up close! Seriously, this worked for us and hope you can come up with ways to protect your privacy too!
That's very nice dearie, but not everyone can afford to live on a golf course, on a large lot, and build a pool. Many people come here to enjoy the lifestyle and are just happy to be here regardless of what lot they are on or what they have or don't have.

But we appreciate your input and will be looking forward to continued postings of your fabulous home, pool, hot tub, golf course view, and lack of neighbors. Always a joy to read your posts!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage
Question

It seems that the developers are more interested in squeezing in as many new homes as possible than they are in building more commercial space and additional amenities. Where are the strip malls, grocery stores, restaurants, bowling alleys, softball fields? What's going on with Brownwood? Anybody know?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
It seems that the developers are more interested in squeezing in as many new homes as possible than they are in building more commercial space and additional amenities. Where are the strip malls, grocery stores, restaurants, bowling alleys, softball fields? What's going on with Brownwood? Anybody know?
When there is a market for commercial space and it is financially feasible, it WILL be built-
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
There are buildings going up at Brownwood right now ... have you taken a ride down there lately to look?

Where do you expect all these strip malls, grocery stores, restaurants, bowling alleys, softball fields, etc to be?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Girl View Post
That's very nice dearie, but not everyone can afford to live on a golf course, on a large lot, and build a pool. Many people come here to enjoy the lifestyle and are just happy to be here regardless of what lot they are on or what they have or don't have.

But we appreciate your input and will be looking forward to continued postings of your fabulous home, pool, hot tub, golf course view, and lack of neighbors. Always a joy to read your posts!
Um....you seem to be a little jealous???? I'll have you know that my husband and I have worked VERY hard to get what we have. The thread is about what we like and don't like about TV and I happen to love where my lot is and my home is going to be. I was voicing my opinion about what worked for us as far as noise and close neighbors. Yes, a larger lot and a bigger home may not be for everyone but to my husband and I it's our dream. We are proud of what ever home we choose to build as others are proud of their homes. Be it Cottage homes, designer homes or premier homes they are all what each individual has chosen. We can't wait to join our neighbors and become part of TV. Our excitement has made us like kids! Sounds like you don't really like hearing about what other people are doing. I suggest with your attitude, you lay low because nobody is going to want to be around you. Hope your not my neighbor! We are happy people and enjoy hearing about what everyone else has built and their ideas. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and we are happy to tell everyone about it! I'm not going to apologize for what I can afford.....
Old 12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Um....you seem to be a little jealous???? I'll have you know that my husband and I have worked VERY hard to get what we have. The thread is about what we like and don't like about TV and I happen to love where my lot is and my home is going to be. I was voicing my opinion about what worked for us as far as noise and close neighbors. Yes, a larger lot and a bigger home may not be for everyone but to my husband and I it's our dream. We are proud of what ever home we choose to build as others are proud of their homes. Be it Cottage homes, designer homes or premier homes they are all what each individual has chosen. We can't wait to join our neighbors and become part of TV. Our excitement has made us like kids! Sounds like you don't really like hearing about what other people are doing. I suggest with your attitude, you lay low because nobody is going to want to be around you. Hope your not my neighbor! We are happy people and enjoy hearing about what everyone else has built and their ideas. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and we are happy to tell everyone about it! I'm not going to apologize for what I can afford.....
I think you are OK with your post. Myself, I'm a little suspicious of the other poster. The "dearie" thing was, well kinda weird. A little too Mrs. Doubtfireish.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Gold member

Happinow, I agree with you, you have a right to be proud and happy with your home. The other poster seemed mean spirited and, as you said, jealous. Enjoy your home..I can't wait until I get to pick ours out (ooops...did I say 'I'...I meant 'we'...we get to pick our new home..I keep telling Steve how much we love the Lily...and how 'we' need the stretching...as long as he gets either a golf cart or third car garage he'll be happy!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Happinow, I agree with you, you have a right to be proud and happy with your home. The other poster seemed mean spirited and, as you said, jealous. Enjoy your home..I can't wait until I get to pick ours out (ooops...did I say 'I'...I meant 'we'...we get to pick our new home..I keep telling Steve how much we love the Lily...and how 'we' need the stretching...as long as he gets either a golf cart or third car garage he'll be happy!
Thanks Trish. We are not "braggy" people at all, just proud of what we have accomplished. It's a rough world out there! And the "Dearie" was condescending. I think we feel like you...can't wait to get there. We really like the Lilly too and will retour to make sure we pick which one is right for us. We will be living the best times of our lives!! Good luck with your new home build!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Sage

Honestly, it's easier to list what I like....but the question was about what I don't like. Hate is too strong a word for a community I PICKED to live in.... What I wish I had and we are getting along quite well without one, is a golf cart garage. I have a large lot behind my house, but side wise, not enough room for one.

Having lived here for over 5 years, I can honestly say every house I've been welcomed in to is lovely. People have different requirements and desires when it comes to picking out a new home...you make a list of priorities and do what you can to meet your needs and desires.

The Villages isn't perfect, it's in actuality, a city and an active and thriving community. It's getting crowded some feel...well, there's more people here than in the past, but with this growth, more and more businesses are setting up shop, making it easier and easier to find just what we need...we don't always have to drive a distance for an item or a service.

It's a lovely place to live and frankly, I still am having a tough time coming up with something I'm not too happy about.
I'm stepping off my soapbox now...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.