Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
1. narrow political opinions in the daily sun.
2. dog owners who think that everyone else's lawn is a giant dog toilet.
3. unsafe golf cart drivers (really, do you have to hold your dog/grandchild on your lap?)
4. smokers in the town squares; they should be relegated to across the street areas. not within the squares themselves.
5. cigar smoking.......totally prohibited...everywhere!
6. lack of interesting non-chain restaurants.
7. minimal public parks within the villages.
8. exercise trails....only one in the villages....really!
9. more control over ugly lawn ornaments, and hideous oranments attached to the house....have you seen the eagle on nash loop in hemingway?
and that's it for today.
My goodness. You have offended half of the citizenry. But that's o.k. You are anonymous. I hope everyone who is reading this who is offended by the same stuff and thinking to move here will have second thoughts.

Or find that the great things outweigh the negatives and most of all..if they move here are happy.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Platinum member

I feel bad for the few who find very little to like here. I'm sure that if I felt this way, I would move on. I'm sure it's hard to be here feeling as you do. I do hope however that you are a snowbird and can at least get somewhere during certain months for a little happiness in your life. Do you take part in activities here in TV? Do you have friends with similar interests? If you do get out, it has to be difficult to be around so many happy, life loving people.

Life is short...try to find happiness. Homes are selling here so I'm certain you won't have a problem if you choose to leave. I think for every home on the market, there are many, many who would like to be here...unfortunately, some aren't retired, not old enough, can't afford it.....or many, many reasons.

If you seek out contented, happy folks....you may turn into one.......
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM

could they change the gate passes? otherwise TV is really great!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Platinum member
Default We can all lighten up :)

I totally agree that there have been a lot of negative and whiny posts lately.
On the other hand, if there is one thread where these belong, it would be this one. After all, the title of the thread is "Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate besides the train noise".
Then people complain when the responses stick to the posted topic.
It's always a beautiful day in TV. People do have opinions, and this is one of the threads where they are asked to express them. We can all lighten up and be happy that people are respecting the topic at hand!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by su2009 View Post
In general, I love The Villages, but here is what I miss from living in a big city:
1. In The Villages, there's no big malls with big upper-end chain retailers like Macys, Nordstrom, Sports Authority. Ocala has a tiny Macys and a small Dick's Sporting Goods, but you really have to go to Atlanta or Miami if you want to find the big upper-end retailers with good sales.

6. No international airport; you have to go to Orlando or Tampa to fly out on most airlines.----
We just got back from the Florida Mall in Orlando, I measured the drive and it was exactly 55 miles to our house. They have Nordstrom, Dillards, Macys, Pennys, Sears and Saks Fifth Avenue. I also found the Dick's in Ocala is bigger and better than the Dick's by Millennium Mall in Orlando.

The Airport is in Orlando, that's not that far. I think in most large metropolitan cities you have to go a ways to get to an airport. In Baltimore we lived in the north suburbs and it was an hours drive for us to BWI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy
3. unsafe golf cart drivers (really, do you have to hold your dog/grandchild on your lap?)
4. smokers in the town squares; they should be relegated to across the street areas. not within the squares themselves.
9. more control over ugly lawn ornaments, and hideous oranments attached to the house....have you seen the eagle on nash loop in hemingway?
and that's it for today.
#1 unless you belong to the tea party, I would have to agree.
#2 we live in a CYV so we really don't have that problem
#3 that's true, especially when grandkids drive and people don't realize how much harm could come to their pet if they had to stop quickly.
#4 I agree completely
#5 same as #4
#6 I agree again
#7 doesn't effect me too much
#8 I walk and ride my bike on my neighborhood side streets, so doesn't effect me
#9 haven't see the eagle, but we have a CYV at the entrance of our villa section that in the garden instead of a professional retaining wall, they use large rocks they must of found in a field to line their gravel, looks like something a 12 year old would of made. Then they removed their live shrubs and replaced with potted artificial plants.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree. I love many things about The Villages, and overall am happy with our lifestyle here. But there are always things that could be better. I agree with most of travelguy's comments. Just because you don't like certain things about this place, doesn't mean you are "unhappy". The post specifically asked about what things do you hate. People are voicing their critiques and sticking to topic.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Gold member

My complaint is that I'm not there to find something to complain about!
In reality, they're different!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Default Something to complain about is on the way!

Well, we should be there before college football kicks off and we'll give you Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State fans plenty to complain about! ROLL TIDE ROLL!

This is why they are called the Crimson Tide!
Attached Images
bcs-photo-2-jpg 
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
and that's it for today.
Bravely stated. I don't agree with most of your points, but I do applaud you for sticking to the topic.

And now "off with his head"!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
We keep hearing from the village lovers(people who are happy with their choice. Other than Jan and the people dealing with the train noise (Chatham) Are there any other villages we should stay away from and why? :dontknow:
Larry & Bev!
Construction...besides the noise..construction traffic who drive wherever they feel, speed, drive in golf lanes and try to pass you on the right in golf cart lanes. (which I've learned to edge over far enough where golf carts are fine but a vehicle is not getting by me and boy howdy that must irritate them...payback Hah! )
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Oh wait entirely forgot...solicitors! So much for a gated community. I know the gates are an illusion but solicitors can be slowed down by actually asking what a persons business is instead of waving em on in, turn them around instead. I had one guy selling trees out of the back of his truck, stop as I pulled in. I put the garage door down before I even got out of the car. You think he would take the hint. Nooooo...came all the way up to the front door and then saw the NO Soliciting sign I've been forced to put up. Only then did he back peddle. Go away..I don't buy door to door. You would think the groups here in the villages that want to stop senior crime would have an active interest in stopping these soliciters...because a lot of the ripoff scams are a result of the door to door activity.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Platinum member

Are there a lot of solicitors in TV? Is it mostly home repair, landscape? I'm not there yet full time, so am not aware of it....guess I have a lot of negative's to experience. Do the solicitors seem to target the newer areas?
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I've lived here 4 years and had two solicitors come to my door. Hardly a problem for me. Perhaps it's got to do with location.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
Oh wait entirely forgot...solicitors! So much for a gated community. I know the gates are an illusion but solicitors can be slowed down by actually asking what a persons business is instead of waving em on in, turn them around instead. I had one guy selling trees out of the back of his truck, stop as I pulled in. I put the garage door down before I even got out of the car. You think he would take the hint. Nooooo...came all the way up to the front door and then saw the NO Soliciting sign I've been forced to put up. Only then did he back peddle. Go away..I don't buy door to door. You would think the groups here in the villages that want to stop senior crime would have an active interest in stopping these soliciters...because a lot of the ripoff scams are a result of the door to door activity.
Don't forget the roads in TV except for the villa streets are public streets and the gate attendants cannot turn away traffic. What they can do is note the make/model in case there is a problem.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Default Villa Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Don't forget the roads in TV except for the villa streets are public streets and the gate attendants cannot turn away traffic. What they can do is note the make/model in case there is a problem.
Interesting - haven't heard that before. What's special about the Villa Streets?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.