Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/everybody-seems-love-villages-i-would-like-hear-what-you-hate-beside-9370/)

diskman 11-30-2011 10:02 PM

I can't believe it!

I started this thread on August 20, 2007 and it is still going strong
109,337 views:loco::bigbow::eek:

Russ_Boston 11-30-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskman (Post 424096)

Yes, true. But a well placed pseudo bump doesn't hurt either:)

KCinBAMA 12-01-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskman (Post 424096)

Thank you for starting it and keeping it going, it is one of the few threads that I have subscribed to. I know several have posted that this thread is unnecessary and should be closed, however, I feel the opposite is true. For an outsider like me, reading all of the information published by The Villages is like reading a new car glossy pamphlet - sure there are a bunch of facts provided, however, I'd also like to know what the people who actually drive the car really think. Not everything/everyplace is perfect and this thread allows those non-perfections to be published so everyone can decide for themselves if the negatives outweigh the positives.

Thanks again for a wonderful thread.

KC

renrod 12-01-2011 07:36 AM

The part I HATE is

LEAVING THE VILLAGES :crap2:

momesu 12-01-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renrod (Post 424154)
LEAVING THE VILLAGES :crap2:

You leave The Villages???? WHY??????
:shrug: :D

Suzanne

BobKat1 12-01-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 424109)
Yes, true. But a well placed pseudo bump doesn't hurt either:)

Pseudo bump. Good description. I like it.

jblum315 12-01-2011 08:45 AM

Big bump

graciegirl 12-01-2011 09:51 AM

bumpity bump bump.

I hate the seat holders.

Well, maybe not HATE..........

2BNTV 12-01-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 424201)
bumpity bump bump.

I hate the seat holders.

Well, maybe not HATE..........

Hey Gracie:

I remember that thread, "one fanny in seat equals being reserved". :)

Larry Wilson 12-01-2011 12:30 PM

A couple of points.
Don't know who lives here and who chooses not to live here. The Villages were compared to a college campus. No one said anything about not being able to leave campus.
Look at the number of posts on this thread. If you read them all, some you will agree with, some you won't.

Moderator 12-01-2011 03:48 PM

This thread started to stray too far into politically charged territory, so, according to forum guidelines, the related posts were moved to the political forum where that discussion can continue in earnest.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ad.php?t=45694

The above link will take you to the new thread in the political forum. Remember, the political forum is an opt-in. You have to subscribe to it to see it.

Now...... back to the discussion on likes and dislikes about The Villages.

shrnc88 12-18-2011 09:19 PM

My negatives.

Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! We chose to build on a "lake" so we wouldn't have someone directly behind us, but we didn't take into consideration neighbors who make it their business to know everything that goes on around them and intrude whenever we attempt to entertain company on our own lanai. 10 ft or a little more away from neighbors with no fences means you and your neighbors can see each other inside your homes. One of our neighbors told us what she saw sitting on our dresser!

We built in The Villages many years ago, when it was a friendlier place before Harold passed away. The friendly hometown atmosphere that existed at that time is gone.

We also built in The Villages because we were sold the premise of a PRIVATE gated community. We traveled 1/2 the year, and wanted that kind of security for our home in our absence. It didn't take long to realize that the only "perk" from being residents with a gate pass, is that it takes us longer to get through the gates. Perhaps if it were a true gated community with all the security that entails, our home would not have been robbed.

If you and your spouse agree to move here, may I suggest that it is a totally mutual decision without pressure. If one person isn't sold on the idea it can lead to a lot of resentment. In all our years here, we've seen that lead to disaster many times.

Call us grumpy if you want, but we are no longer brainwashed by the advertisement. I would suggest renting for a while first.

graciegirl 12-18-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrnc88 (Post 430467)
Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! We chose to build on a "lake" so we wouldn't have someone directly behind us, but we didn't take into consideration neighbors who make it their business to know everything that goes on around them and intrude whenever we attempt to entertain company on our own lanai. 10 ft or a little more away from neighbors with no fences means you and your neighbors can see each other inside your homes. One of our neighbors told us what she saw sitting on our dresser!

We built in The Villages many years ago, when it was a friendlier place before Harold passed away. The friendly hometown atmosphere that existed at that time is gone.

We also built in The Villages because we were sold the premise of a PRIVATE gated community. We traveled 1/2 the year, and wanted that kind of security for our home in our absence. It didn't take long to realize that the only "perk" from being residents with a gate pass, is that it takes us longer to get through the gates. Perhaps if it were a true gated community with all the security that entails, our home would not have been robbed.

If you and your spouse agree to move here, may I suggest that it is a totally mutual decision without pressure. If one person isn't sold on the idea it can lead to a lot of resentment. In all our years here, we've seen that lead to disaster many times.

Call us grumpy if you want, but we are no longer brainwashed by the advertisement. I would suggest renting for a while first.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the give and take and continue to share your opinions. Have you posted before under another name?

ilovetv 12-18-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrnc88 (Post 430467)

Your negative is why the Courtyard Villa is so popular. We love our wall around 3 sides in back. Nobody looking in, and nobody sticking their nose in when we have visitors on the lanai.

As for snoopy neighbors, ours are not that way at all (old f*rts peeking thru the blinds, looking for gossip material because they have nothing better to do). They are so active and busy outside the house and neighborhood that they have OTHER INTERESTS to occupy themselves with.

As for the home break-in and theft described above, there are security systems and monitoring available for that.

Challenger 12-18-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovetv (Post 430478)
Your negative is why the Courtyard Villa is so popular. We love our wall around 3 sides in back. Nobody looking in, and nobody sticking their nose in when we have visitors on the lanai.

As for snoopy neighbors, ours are not that way at all (old f*rts peeking thru the blinds, looking for gossip material because they have nothing better to do). They are so active and busy outside the house and neighborhood that they have OTHER INTERESTS to occupy themselves with.

As for the home break-in and theft described above, there are security systems and monitoring available for that.

Same here- lack of privacy seems to be a choice not a mandate