Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Not hate but do not like in the area. Jay walkers, Golf carts pulling out in to traffic, People looping around Golf carts in to on coming traffic crossing double yellow lines, then there is the zig zag the round about club. Maybe some need assisted travel
Da Sgt
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Veteran member
Default I cannot believe this thread I started is still going strong

I cannot believe this thread I started is still going strong and after these many months the thing I hate the most is our Wannabe status we want to be a "be" not a wanna, 30 months and counting
Wanabee future TVer
Old 06-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
I cannot believe this thread I started is still going strong and after these many months the thing I hate the most is our Wannabe status we want to be a "be" not a wanna, 30 months and counting
So, what did you learn from your post??
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Default That the pluses far out weigh the negatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
So, what did you learn from your post??
That the pluses far out weigh the negatives and so "the thing I hate the most is our Wannabe status we want to be a "be" not a wanna, 30 months and counting"
Wanabee future TVer
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Platinum member

I can only think of 2 things. We were used to being 10 minutes from an international airport. That was great. Now we are 1 1/2 - 2 hours from both Orlando and Tampa.

2nd thing is the radio stations. Except when in the car, we can only get reception from 640. That was a big disappointment. We got XM radio, but have to pay for that.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

bump
Wanabee future TVer
Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Veteran member
Default glad you asked

I am glad you asked this question. Hubby and I were wondering same thing. We are not moving to TV for a few more years, but just purchased a place to rent to snowbirds in meantime. My biggest fear about moving to TV is that it is like Disneyland for adults, manufactured and plastic. My biggest excitement about moving to TV is that it trulys seems to be the friendliest place I have ever been with wonderful amentities and loads of things to do. I am counting that the new friends to be made and activities will make me forget about the Disney factor.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Palmers View Post
I am glad you asked this question. Hubby and I were wondering same thing. We are not moving to TV for a few more years, but just purchased a place to rent to snowbirds in meantime. My biggest fear about moving to TV is that it is like Disneyland for adults, manufactured and plastic. My biggest excitement about moving to TV is that it trulys seems to be the friendliest place I have ever been with wonderful amentities and loads of things to do. I am counting that the new friends to be made and activities will make me forget about the Disney factor.
Disneyland for adults is an urban legend! Very far from the truth.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Default My Take on the

"Disneyland for Adults" isn't negative. I thought it just referred to the beautiful grounds and homes and people being happy. It's like having fun every day.
New Jersey
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Default Can't Say ANYTING

Hello Everyone,

We don't post much but I read what's going on everyday. I guess you can call us "Summer Birds" because again for the 5th year we are arriving in the Villages for July and August. We truly love it in TV but my family obligations ,(elderly parents who won't move with us, grandkids, etc.) keep us in NY. My husband would move tomorrow if I said ,'lets go now!'.

We have made many good friends and look forward to seeing them and hopefully come to one of your get togethers. We belong to the Bronx Club, so if there are any members out there, we would love to meet you.

My husband has been retired for 5 years and hopefully, I will retire next year and maybe we can be both "SummerBirds" and "Snowbirds". We have never been to TV in the wintertime, but the summer months are not so bad because it is hot.

Well, take care eveyone and see you in July (God willing!!)

Mary*The Bronx Girl
Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Default Can't Say ANYTHING Bad aBout the Villages..We Love It

Hello Everyone,

We don't post much but I read what's going on everyday. I guess you can call us "Summer Birds" because again for the 5th year we are arriving in the Villages for July and August. We truly love it in TV but my family obligations ,(elderly parents who won't move with us, grandkids, etc.) keep us in NY. My husband would move tomorrow if I said ,'lets go now!'.

We have made many good friends and look forward to seeing them and hopefully come to one of your get togethers. We belong to the Bronx Club, so if there are any members out there, we would love to meet you.

My husband has been retired for 5 years and hopefully, I will retire next year and maybe we can be both "SummerBirds" and "Snowbirds". We have never been to TV in the wintertime, but the summer months are not so bad because it is hot.

Well, take care eveyone and see you in July (God willing!!)

Mary*The Bronx Girl
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
I can only think of 2 things. We were used to being 10 minutes from an international airport. That was great. Now we are 1 1/2 - 2 hours from both Orlando and Tampa.

2nd thing is the radio stations. Except when in the car, we can only get reception from 640. That was a big disappointment. We got XM radio, but have to pay for that.

I made the trip many times last month from TV (southern part) to MCO (Orlando airport) in about 1 hour and 10 min going at or near the speed limit. With parking etc. I guess it would be closer to 1 1/2 hours as mentioned.

I also had no issue with radio reception while in Sunset Pointe. Simple indoor whip antenna. I guess where you live in TV might make a difference.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Cool What's not to like about The Villages

OK, I'm a bit bitter because I bought during the worst time when The Villages developer, real estate agents and Citizens Bank assessors were in cohoots to force buyers to make decisions on home purchases with no input within 3 hrs all in the name of greed. I used to think it was a friendly village, but now recognize greed. It caused a lot of stress for a lot of people and left me personally feeling duped. That being said, I am disappointed that the quality of the food in the recreation centers and some restaurants in the Villages confines have really declined since 2002, when we initially were positive about The Villages. I also have concerns that the continual development undermines existing property values. Also, I notice that various golf cart paths and facilities in the older sections are not getting the attention that they warrant. I would love to see more updated recreation centers with clean, carpet free, wallpaper free, chandelier free designs. I see a lot of future renovations because they are being built with the past, not future in mind. My new motto...rent, rent, rent!!! That way you can enjoy and make a great decision whether to purchase or where to purchase.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You have to realize I just came from the thread talking about liking to hang out with younger people, so I am a little grumpy.

I personally love the rec centers with all of their overwhelming and to me, delightful, decor.

I think the more people who live here, the better it is.

The food is fine and it is cheap too.

BUT I do have one gripe. I am not likin' that this is the lightning capital of the U.S.

But I am not blaming the Morses!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Sage
Arrow My Hometown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by florlrl View Post
OK, I'm a bit bitter because I bought during the worst time when The Villages developer, real estate agents and Citizens Bank assessors were in cohoots to force buyers to make decisions on home purchases with no input within 3 hrs all in the name of greed. I used to think it was a friendly village, but now recognize greed. It caused a lot of stress for a lot of people and left me personally feeling duped. That being said, I am disappointed that the quality of the food in the recreation centers and some restaurants in the Villages confines have really declined since 2002, when we initially were positive about The Villages. I also have concerns that the continual development undermines existing property values. Also, I notice that various golf cart paths and facilities in the older sections are not getting the attention that they warrant. I would love to see more updated recreation centers with clean, carpet free, wallpaper free, chandelier free designs. I see a lot of future renovations because they are being built with the past, not future in mind. My new motto...rent, rent, rent!!! That way you can enjoy and make a great decision whether to purchase or where to purchase.
OK, I have to defend my hometown now. We've lived here two years, so I guess I've earned the right to call it my hometown.

First, you can't be duped by The Villages, the real estate agents, Citizen's Bank or anyone else... unless you allow yourself to be. Maybe you didn't ask enough questions, or the right questions. I will agree with you that Citizen's Bank was pushy and quite frankly didn't offer the best deal, so we got our mortgage somewhere else. But, in my opinion, The Villages offers a lot of bang for the buck!

And... I disagree with almost everything else you've said. The Villages is not perfect. But, it's pretty darn close. The food at most all of the Country Clubs is excellent and most of the other restaurants around TV also. I'm not saying "all" but I am saying "most."

When you think of the extent, the vastness of The Villages, it always amazes me on how well kept up it is. I still drive through and am in awe of it's beauty. As far as the decor for the Rec centers, it appears you are a minimalist and maybe it wouldn't hurt to have one of those. But, I do think most people do not like a sterile atmosphere. My decorator friend from Chicago walked around with her mouth open, amazed at how beautifully most Rec Centers are decorated. So much attention to detail.

All of that said, I'm not even mentioning the literally thousands of clubs and activities. I just said to a friend, that originally bought in Arizona, then sold to come here after a visit, "I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting to retire here." And our experience with the people, neighbors, club members, couldn't be more joyful. I've always had a firm belief that you get out of life what you put into it.

Well, perhaps you should "rent" elsewhere and see how that works out. I simply can't imagine any other retirement community offering more.

And as our friend Fumar says "The bridge goes both ways."

Last edited by chelsea24; 08-26-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.