Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Sad Commentary

florlrl, we too were in the market to buy during the time you mentioned but we do not like to make quick decisions so we declined and kept coming back for visits and finally we rented. When we did buy the market was entirely different. No one forced you to buy, you were not a victim but a willing participant in the process. It is sad that you are bitter and resentful about living here but you are in the minority and hopefully you will have an attitude adjustment so that you can at least enjoy the beauty that surounds you. Negativity is not good for the immune system.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by florlrl View Post
OK, I'm a bit bitter because I bought during the worst time when The Villages developer, real estate agents and Citizens Bank assessors were in cohoots to force buyers to make decisions on home purchases with no input within 3 hrs all in the name of greed. I used to think it was a friendly village, but now recognize greed. It caused a lot of stress for a lot of people and left me personally feeling duped. That being said, I am disappointed that the quality of the food in the recreation centers and some restaurants in the Villages confines have really declined since 2002, when we initially were positive about The Villages. I also have concerns that the continual development undermines existing property values. Also, I notice that various golf cart paths and facilities in the older sections are not getting the attention that they warrant. I would love to see more updated recreation centers with clean, carpet free, wallpaper free, chandelier free designs. I see a lot of future renovations because they are being built with the past, not future in mind. My new motto...rent, rent, rent!!! That way you can enjoy and make a great decision whether to purchase or where to purchase.
OK , I'm not buying this, I am not convinced that you even live in the Villages .....I started to smell a mouse when you complained about the food in the Rec centers when we all know there is no food in the Rec centers...I can't agree with one thing you have suggested here ...
However, If you did live here I can suggest one activity that you would dearly love< Its the civic players who put on plays several times a year. Rumor has it that they are thinking of doing THE WIZARD OF OZ this year. If in fact they do it , you would be a shoe in for the MARGARET HAMILTON part ...You would have to ride a bicycle but I think you would love it ...and it would change your perception of THE VILLAGES ....We really do have fun here and its a wonderful place to live..........

John Barrymore fumar

Last edited by The Great Fumar; 08-26-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have read some disparaging remarks about the noise of the trains in the north end of the villages...........I want to take issue with this...... Some villagers have led a few people to believe that this is the case......I for one would like to state that there is no truth to this nasty rumor ....I have lived here five years and the sound of the trains have never been a problem.......
The DOGS drown out the sound of the TRAINS..........

FU GOODNESS SAKES

Last edited by The Great Fumar; 08-26-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
OK, I have to defend my hometown now. We've lived here two years, so I guess I've earned the right to call it my hometown.

First, you can't be duped by The Villages, the real estate agents, Citizen's Bank or anyone else... unless you allow yourself to be. Maybe you didn't ask enough questions, or the right questions. I will agree with you that Citizen's Bank was pushy and quite frankly didn't offer the best deal, so we got our mortgage somewhere else. But, in my opinion, The Villages offers a lot of bang for the buck!

And... I disagree with almost everything else you've said. The Villages is not perfect. But, it's pretty darn close. The food at most all of the Country Clubs is excellent and most of the other restaurants around TV also. I'm not saying "all" but I am saying "most."

When you think of the extent, the vastness of The Villages, it always amazes me on how well kept up it is. I still drive through and am in awe of it's beauty. As far as the decor for the Rec centers, it appears you be a minimalist and maybe it wouldn't hurt to have one of those. But, I do think most people do not like a sterile atmosphere. My decorator friend from Chicago walked around with her mouth open, amazed at how beautifully most Rec Centers are decorated. So much attention to detail.

All of that said, I'm not even mentioning the literally thousands of clubs and activities. I just said to a friend, that originally bought in Arizona, then sold to come here after a visit, "I can't imagine anyone NOT wanting to retire here." And our experience with the people, neighbors, club members, couldn't be more joyful. I've always had a firm belief that you get out of life what you put into it.

Well, perhaps you should "rent" elsewhere and see how that works out. I simply can't imagine any other retirement community offering more.

And as our friend Fumar says "The bridge goes both ways."
Well said Chelsea........I agree with all you said!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I also agree totally Chelsea, even though we didn't by during the peek period. We bought in the slow market when double digit discounts and extras within the villa where being tossed about.
Ok, thing I didn't like about Citizens was when we were looking at maybe getting aloan fo r part of the money, that they didn't offer VA loans.

Great Fumar, I agree totally about maybe being a troll, or as you put it a mouse. Even though we have owned here for just several months I was like, "What food in the Rec Centers??" And you made me spit my coffee across my desk, "The dogs drown out the trains!" Though you were in my neighborhood in Alabama!!!

Army Guy
Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned
Default Treatment Plant near Alhambra Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
We keep hearing from the village lovers(people who are happy with their choice. Other than Jan and the people dealing with the train noise (Chatham) Are there any other villages we should stay away from and why? :dontknow:
Larry & Bev!
If you've ever driven down El Camino Real when the Treatment Plant behind Alhambra Village is emitting is rather pungent and odoriferous smell you would probably decide to avoid that area.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:32 PM

If florlrl is a village resident, then he is the first resident that I have found who is unhappy with his decision. Before we purchased our house in August, we ask a lot of village residents if they were happy with their decision. We could not find one person to say that they would not purchase in the villages if they had to do over again.

After we closed we then spent a week in the villages enjoying our new home. It was the most fun week we have spent in years and that includes all-inclusive vacations in the Caribbean. I really can't find anything I don't like. We can't wait to come back in December. I still have a year before I retire and we can move permanently. It's going to be a long year. I'm sure that once we move here permanently I will find something that displeases me, but for now I couldn't be happier with our decision.

George
Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Default Train Noise

When we first arrived at The Villages at 3AM after driving straight through from Connecticut, we just crashed on the bed. First thing I heard was the train, and said, Oh my goodness, what did we do? Now, I love the sound of the train, very soothing, and whenever I hear one elsewhere, it reminds me of the wonderful place in which I live!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Default Train?

Please tell me you dont hear a train all nite near St Charles
Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Gold member

The train follows Rt. 301. We live near the northwest corner of the villages and the train isn't a problem. You can hear that lonesome whistle blow in the distance, but I hear louder car horns from people three block away who hit the panic button on their remote!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

What I dislike about TV. I can't think of anything. Maybe all the restaurants with happy hours. We never eat at home. That's not a bad thing if you had the better half's cooking. It's just a great place.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Cool

The good things far outweigh the neagtives.
Some of the negatives would include a tightly controlled enviorment.
Remember you are buying into a created lifestyle.
If you are used to expressing your thoughts and ideas and being listened to, this is not the place for you.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Unhappy Most positive, some negative

I agree with most of the posts about living in TV, but I have had 2 on going issues since moving here in 2006.

First,
We are ballroom dancers and have to leave TV to hear a live band. The music available at TV ballroom dances is a slight cut above karaoke. The couple that organizes the dances says that live bands are too expensive. What? The location we have found is in a "manufactured home" park(we've also seen this same couple at this location.) TV claims to have so much class. Why can't TV pay a live band for ballroom dances on campus?

Second,
As naive home buyers, we neglected to request a survey of our property. We have a major drainage problem. None of the run off in the backyard or side swales, flows to the street. TV confirms that it is a problem (our yard is a mud puddle at times). Yes, they recognized the problem and sent 3 landscapers here with $850-$3800 estimates that are our responsibility.):

Carmen
Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Default Where did you find the live band??

As longtime ballroom dancers who are used to live bands we were also disapointed with the recorded music. But it's not so bad...Let us know where you found the live band and we will join you on occasion.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen View Post
I agree with most of the posts about living in TV, but I have had 2 on going issues since moving here in 2006.

First,
We are ballroom dancers and have to leave TV to hear a live band. The music available at TV ballroom dances is a slight cut above karaoke. The couple that organizes the dances says that live bands are too expensive. What? The location we have found is in a "manufactured home" park(we've also seen this same couple at this location.) TV claims to have so much class. Why can't TV pay a live band for ballroom dances on campus?

Second,
As naive home buyers, we neglected to request a survey of our property. We have a major drainage problem. None of the run off in the backyard or side swales, flows to the street. TV confirms that it is a problem (our yard is a mud puddle at times). Yes, they recognized the problem and sent 3 landscapers here with $850-$3800 estimates that are our responsibility.):

Carmen
Who pays for the band at the trailer park?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.