Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Sage
Arrow Would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen View Post
I agree with most of the posts about living in TV, but I have had 2 on going issues since moving here in 2006.

First,
We are ballroom dancers and have to leave TV to hear a live band. The music available at TV ballroom dances is a slight cut above karaoke. The couple that organizes the dances says that live bands are too expensive. What? The location we have found is in a "manufactured home" park(we've also seen this same couple at this location.) TV claims to have so much class. Why can't TV pay a live band for ballroom dances on campus?

Second,
As naive home buyers, we neglected to request a survey of our property. We have a major drainage problem. None of the run off in the backyard or side swales, flows to the street. TV confirms that it is a problem (our yard is a mud puddle at times). Yes, they recognized the problem and sent 3 landscapers here with $850-$3800 estimates that are our responsibility.):

Carmen
First, let me say, I'm so madly in love with The Villages and have had such a perfect day, that I am hard pressed to find anything at all lacking. But I will say this about the Ballroom Dancing. No, I don't know how to do it and I probably never will, but I sure do enjoy the sheer beauty and elegance of it.

When we lived in Illinois, we spent many a long weekends at The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, MI. It doesn't get much better than that. Here's a link in case anyone is interested... it's where the movie "Somewhere in Time" was filmed and you do feel as if you're stepping back in time. No cars allowed on the Island, so you always hear the wonderful clopping of the horse drawn carriages. Simply enchanting.

http://www.grandhotel.com/

But, my point is they would sometimes have "theme weekends" and one of them was always Ballroom Dancing. Couples would literally come from all over the world. Beautiful gowns flowing, tuxedos, etc. Just stunning. We could not dance like this (although we did take some lessons) however, just to watch was enough. We never missed it. BTW, I think they still do have that 3-day event.

Anyway, I completely agree that The Villages can well afford to have Ballroom Dancing as an option somewhere. After living here for two years, Rocky and the Rollers and some of the same bands over and over again, gets old! Even if they occasionally had a Ballroom Dancing event at The Savannah Center. Possibly every other month. Yes, I'm all for that. I'm all for this casual lifestyle, but every so often, wouldn't it be wonderful to dress to the nine's and go out stepping with your favorite guy or gal -- or just watch! Everyone loves "Dancing with The Stars". I would think this could be fabulous addition to TV.

Does anyone know who would be contacted to inquire about something like this???
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Smile Live Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceafolks View Post
As longtime ballroom dancers who are used to live bands we were also disapointed with the recorded music. But it's not so bad...Let us know where you found the live band and we will join you on occasion.
We found the live band at Hawthorn in Leesburg. They have dances Friday and Saturday nights. We go to the Saturday night one. They have different bands. We hear good things about Visions. We can't go this Saturday. The best band we have heard there is D&D. They will be playing once a month. We won't miss it.

Carmen
Old 09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Angry

<<sure there are grumps and grouches that move into TV. But they don't last long >>

This is my biggest complaint, that you are called a grouch if you want the Villages to make improvements, and this take it or leave it attitude makes the developer very rich.
The pools are small and there is no shade over them. The Villages maybe a wonderful place but it could be better. I would love them to start actually building villages not suburbs called Villages. The one area that could be called a Village is in Sumpter Landing but a little house there costs close to a million. Just don't expect to live in a Village, what you get is a cookie cutter home in suburbia.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
anyexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfangel View Post
<<sure there are grumps and grouches that move into TV. But they don't last long >>

This is my biggest complaint, that you are called a grouch if you want the Villages to make improvements, and this take it or leave it attitude makes the developer very rich.
The pools are small and there is no shade over them. The Villages maybe a wonderful place but it could be better. I would love them to start actually building villages not suburbs called Villages. The one area that could be called a Village is in Sumpter Landing but a little house there costs close to a million. Just don't expect to live in a Village, what you get is a cookie cutter home in suburbia.
I've read all of your five posts in TOTV and guess what? "Unhappy person" comes to mind. I'm sorry that you are so unhappy. Is there anything that any of us can do to help?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyexit View Post
I've read all of your five posts in TOTV and guess what? "Unhappy person" comes to mind. I'm sorry that you are so unhappy. Is there anything that any of us can do to help?
You know, I live in a much bigger house in Ohio in the summer but it is NOT nearly as much fun as The Villages. I guess that all of the homes are very similar....and the sales do make the developer richer, but who cares, this is the life I have left and I know where I want to spend it.

I know that Kate says this so much better in the following post.

I hope you find a place and you are as happy as I am.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:

Angel,

I'm not sure I understand your post. First of all, I don't think that providing comments to the developer at the time you are buying a home is being a grump/grouch. I do agree that if there are things lacking here that are available elsewhere, and if those things are important to a great many consumers, that people will begin to buy elsewhere. At this point, simple economics dictates that the developer makes some changes. He only gets rich if people buy the products he sells. I also think the suggestions on how to improve (such as the recent one on ballroom dancing) are helpful in keeping the offerings here strong.

I think the therm 'village" as used by the developer here, is not meant to be a re-creation of a self-contained small town, with shops, offices, restaurants, etc. I do think it is a clever marketing approach in that a community of 100000+ people is overwhelming - but by breaking that down into discrete "villages" with a village pool (and all the ones I have visited have shade for my Irish skin) and mail area, buyers feel there is more of a neighborhood feel.

If you feel the only "true villages" are the home towns (and I would add SS as well as LSL - there are villas in SS), then there will eventually be more reasonable homes in the Creekside Cabana area.

I think to call the villages "suburbia" is a stretch. Yes the homes are cookie cutter - not many of us can afford architecturally unique designs for our retirement. We do buy here for the lifestyle - and that is access to lots of activities and entertainment a short cart ride away.

The original poster asked what VILLAGERS disliked about TV. It seems from your posts that you are not a villager. As a non-villager, if this isn't your kind of place, then your best choice is elsewhere. If you think about it, TV will only appeal to a small number of the millions of eligible potential residents. There are about 60 million Americans 55 and over - most won't end up here.

Last edited by katezbox; 09-08-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Angel,

I'm not sure I understand your post. First of all, I don't think that providing comments to the developer at the time you are buying a home is being a grump/grouch. I do agree that if there are things lacking here that are available elsewhere, and if those things are important to a great many consumers, that people will begin to buy elsewhere. At this point, simple economics dictates that the developer makes some changes. He only gets rich if people buy the products he sells. I also think the suggestions on how to improve (such as the recent one on ballroom dancing) are helpful in keeping the offerings here strong.

I think the therm 'village" as used by the developer here, is not meant to be a re-creation of a self-contained small town, with shops, offices, restaurants, etc. I do think it is a clever marketing approach in that a community of 100000+ people is overwhelming - but by breaking that down into discrete "villages" with a village pool (and all the ones I have visited have shade for my Irish skin) and mail area, buyers feel there is more of a neighborhood feel.

If you feel the only "true villages" are the home towns (and I would add SS as well as LSL - there are villas in SS), then there will eventually be more reasonable homes in the Creekside Cabana area.

I think to call the villages "suburbia" is a stretch. Yes the homes are cookie cutter - not many of us can afford architecturally unique designs for our retirement. We do buy here for the lifestyle - and that is access to lots of activities and entertainment a short cart ride away.

The original poster asked what VILLAGERS disliked about TV. It seems from your posts that you are not a villager. As a non-villager, if this isn't your kind of place, then your best choice is elsewhere. If you think about it, TV will only appeal to a small number of the millions of eligible potential residents. There are about 60 million Americans 55 and over - most won't end up here.
Well said.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Platinum member

Well said. TV is not for everyone and nobody is required to live here. We have all done so by choice. This is our choice and we made it freely. Is it perfect? No, just darn close. Why would anyone trash the developer all the time for making money? Are he/they expected to do it all for nothing, yet take all the risk? I wouldn't. They have found something that works and we are all free to partake or leave. We're staying.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Veteran member
Cool Hate

The one thing I hate, hate, hate is that there are only 24 hours in a day. I would think the developer could figure a way to extend each day a few hours.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I guess they proved you right.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
I guess they proved you right.
I disagree.... you see, in order to fit that description, one has to move into The Villages first...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
I disagree.... you see, in order to fit that description, one has to move into The Villages first...
Actaully, reading back to the first post on this thread: "Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We keep hearing from the village lovers(people who are happy with their choice...."

Doesn't say Village residents. The original poster was looking for honest feedback on people's experiences in The Villages. Those experiences could have come from renting or visiting. And the minute Surfangel made a remark about his/her dislike of one particular aspect of the Villages and commented negatively on the developer, the person was immediately castigated as an "unhappy person" and told more or less "love it or leave it". Personally I've never liked that attitude. Nothing in life is perfect. If enough people see the need for improvement and they band together they can make a great thing even better.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
anyexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Actaully, reading back to the first post on this thread: "Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We keep hearing from the village lovers(people who are happy with their choice...."

Doesn't say Village residents. The original poster was looking for honest feedback on people's experiences in The Villages. Those experiences could have come from renting or visiting. And the minute Surfangel made a remark about his/her dislike of one particular aspect of the Villages and commented negatively on the developer, the person was immediately castigated as an "unhappy person" and told more or less "love it or leave it". Personally I've never liked that attitude. Nothing in life is perfect. If enough people see the need for improvement and they band together they can make a great thing even better.
Beg to differ my friend. If you go to Surfangel's information you will find out several things. Surfangel lives in Duval in a villa. Surfangel has posted 5 times. Each post was quite negative in nature. That's okay - never said that it wasn't. I did say that Surfangel seemed unhappy and even inquired as to what we might do to help change that.

As you say, "Nothing in life is perfect." Perhaps you jumped to a conclusion that wasn't quite perfect.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum member
Default Disagree

I cannot see how constantly bashing the developer is a better attitude than if you don't like what you see, don't come; if you came and don't like, then you are free to leave. Can there be improvements? Always. As I said before, nothing is perfect and if perfection is what one expects, then that person is up for disappointment. Because I choose to disagree does not make me a grouch.

You ask what I like....I love the lifestyle, the new people (for the most part)and new friends we have made. My husband is handicapped and he enjoys a freedom here that would not be possible where we were. Life here is so laid back and I don't understand why some want to make it otherwise. I love going to the squares, the golf, the ability to go most everywhere by golf cart even when not golfing. I love being able to go to any country club without having to buy in, pay dues, pay a monthly fee for the restaurant whether you eat there or not, and pay assessments. I know of nowhere you can have access to as many as we do even on that basis. There is access to every club imaginable just for the signing, pools in most every neighborhood of some type, fitness centers, polo, softball, and the list goes on. We are free to partake of whatever suits our fancy or not at all. And the list goes on. Most of us have spent the majority of our adult lives looking forward to a less hectic life for our remaining days and for us, this is it.

As for the developer and what he makes, try some of the other places around and you will actually realize what a bargain most of this really is. Before we heard about TV, we had purchased land to build in another retirement community for when we got to retire. It was also before he became handicapped. There was one (1) exclusive country club you had to join and pay dues to belong and you had to be a member to play golf there, very few other courses which you also had to pay to play even though you paid an ammenity fee which back then was more than what we pay here now, and nothing was golf cart accessible....not even the courses. You had to either store your cart at one course and play that one when you could get on or haul your cart on your own personal trailer to another, or rent from them. This was in Hot Springs Village, AR. As property owners, we got to go there whenever we wanted, pay to stay since we hadn't developed our land, pay to play, and pay the monthly fees. We only played the country club when we were checking the place out. Never once we were allowed off the cart path on any of the holes at the courses the whole time we owned there. There was no entertainment and absolutely nothing was "free". It was, however, a truly gated community.

I don't like that people moving here now (and for a while) cannot create their own "wish list" and decorate their homes the way they would like. We moved here just prior to that change, thank goodness, and did get to do ours. I don't think it's fair that those with drainage issues are having to remedy those issues out of their own pockets. I don't like that we had no say in the grass that was planted (St. Augustine) and then we are told that we cannot water as much as St. Augustine requires. I don't like that the gates are just an inconvenience rather than a deterrent to crime. I don't like that we no longer have pool monitors, etc. I don't like that because of someone's stupidity, we no longer have the buffalo to enjoy. I don't like that many people use TV as a yearly vacation rental spot.

I guess what it boils down to is that there is more that I do like than what I don't. If it gets to be the other way around, then I can make another choice. Right now, I don't see that happening, but anything is always possible.

Kind of a long post, but you asked.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Thumbs up

Great post Dilly!

I especially agree with this statement: "I don't like that many people use TV as a yearly vacation rental spot".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.